• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Very Cheap Wine

Varmint

My local wine merchant compelled me to buy a case of red Sicilian table wine (I really can't recall what it was, as is often the case with my memory of wines), promising me that if I didn't like it, he'd buy it back for his personal use. Here's the rub: the case cost me $54, including tax. That's $4.50 a bottle. He said that he could sell more of this if he charged $2 a bottle more.

The stuff is pretty good, and we've been drinking it as our regular house wine.

Are you embarrassed to by cheap ass wine? Is there a price point that you won't go under? I don't have this problem: My dinner the other night for Mrs. Varmint and me cost us 6 bucks total, including a bottle of wine!! Not shabby.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint:

What is it, exactly? Salice Salentino, perchance? I've seen this for outrageously low prices and it's pretty tasty nonetheless.

As for the embarrassment factor, peel off the price sticker! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Are you embarrassed to by cheap ass wine?  Is there a price point that you won't go under?

No. No.

The last two cheapies that I bought were both sweet whites, Ironstone Obsession ($5.99 at Costco in Inianapolis) and Sutter Home Moscato ($4.99 at neighborhood store).

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

A favourite Italian market did something similar for me too. I don't know the name of it either (hmmm, may need to stop over there soon) but it was a "find" by the owner on his last visit to Italy. It is delicious and am glad to have been the recipient of such a lovely suggestion. By the bottle it is $5.99 and by the case it is around $4 a bottle. He referred to it as simple Italian Table Wine. Will have to work on the name ....

Savvy and definately not shabby.

Varmint:

What is it, exactly? Salice Salentino, perchance?  I've seen this for outrageously low prices and it's pretty tasty nonetheless.

As for the embarrassment factor, peel off the price sticker!  :biggrin:

Salice Salentino is a extrodinary good wine for the price. A matter of fact I have to take it off my list because customers found out how inexpensive it was at wine stores and stopped buying it.

Varmint:

What is it, exactly? Salice Salentino, perchance?  I've seen this for outrageously low prices and it's pretty tasty nonetheless.

As for the embarrassment factor, peel off the price sticker!  :biggrin:

Salice Salentino is a extrodinary good wine for the price. A matter of fact I have to take it off my list because customers found out how inexpensive it was at wine stores and stopped buying it.

How much were you charging for it?

I believe $24, but remember I don't buy it at $4.50 a bottle. That price is give to liquor stores based on a 10-20 case discount. My price on a 1 case deal is likely $7-$8 a bottle.

Edited by Lreda (log)

I don't think Salice Salentino is Sicilian, however.  It's from Puglia, isn't it?

Varmint:

You're right and I stand corrected. Salice Salentino is from Puglia. I wasn't really paying attention to that part of your post. My brain sort of leapt up and said "that must be..." when I read Cheap Italian Wine.

Sorry... :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The really fun thing about really cheap wine is that if you run out of things to talk about during dinner you can always fall back on, "I can't believe this cost $4; how can they even make the bottle for that much, no less the actual wine?" That's always good for a few minutes of filler or a diversion from an uncomfortable subject. "I mean, they have to grow the grapes, harvest the grapes, make the wine, put it in the bottles, and ship it all the way here from Australia on a boat; how is this possible?" "And it's pretty darn good too. I bet if you put this in a blind tasting against a $20 bottle most people couldn't tell the difference." "If they sold this for more money, more people would probably buy it! They'd think it's better!" "I can't believe Costco has such a great wine department. Did you know they sell more Dom Perignon than anyone else?"

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

Two little things here:

If it a Sicilian red it is probably the Nero D'Avola grape , low in acidity, rich in black fruits and brine. Cheap wine is usually a product of high yields and high production. If you are only making pennies per unit you had better make a lot of units. Nothing wrong with a 54 box of wine. Nothing wrong with table wine. But sometimes the love is missing a little in a bottle like that. Sometimes I like tasting someone's soul... But usually only on payday or if it is free :laugh:

over it

On a whim, I bought 2 bottles of wine at The 99 Cent store yesterday.  Based on one I tasted (endured), definitely not the place for wine.  :angry:

What were you thinking???? :wacko: Wine at the .99 Store? Have you ever looked at the expiration date on the canned and boxed food goods in there?

Just remember - you get what you pay for :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

On a whim, I bought 2 bottles of wine at The 99 Cent store yesterday.  Based on one I tasted (endured), definitely not the place for wine. :angry:

What were you thinking???? :wacko: Wine at the .99 Store? Have you ever looked at the expiration date on the canned and boxed food goods in there?

Just remember - you get what you pay for :biggrin:

You are correct. The one I tasted was a voignier from Saint Helena. Oddly, each bottle is numbered as one of about six or seven thousand.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Are you embarrassed to by cheap ass wine?  Is there a price point that you won't go under?

:laugh:

Dude, for me, it's cheap ass or nothing.

In fact, I drink Carlo Rossi.

My roommate calls it "Ghetto Broth."

Noise is music. All else is food.

Nero, that's just another reason why we all worship at your Neroness!

Now bring some of that jug shit down to my pig pickin' on the Chi-train!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Nero, that's just another reason why we all worship at your Neroness!

Now bring some of that jug shit down to my pig pickin' on the Chi-train!

Saturday, October 11?

I don't think I've ever planned anything that far in advance.

OK, as of now, I'm in. Now I just have to convince Fresser that his "culinary road trip" should be to Raleigh, NC.

The roomy expanse of his Cruiser's backseat can be filled with Jugs.

Fresser? You like jugs, right?

Noise is music. All else is food.