• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pimientos de Padrón

This evening, my friends Michael and Elizabeth and I were sharing a bottle of albariño (Martín Codax--excellent), and the conversation quite naturally turned to favorite food experiences in Spain. We all quickly agreed how marvelous that wine would be with some pimientos de padrón, those tiny green peppers from Galicia, about a bite each (and of which about one in ten are hot!), fried in olive oil and sprinkled with coarse salt, served as tapas throughout the country. They seem to be catching on in some areas here, but I have never seen them for sale in NYC. I must admit I haven't done an exhaustive search, but I would have definitely noticed them if they were lying around. Do they ever show up at Fairway? The Green Market?

An internet search turns up a grower in Northern California that sells them, and the the Spanish internet food site La Tienda will ship them to you for 25 DOLLARS A POUND!! (I think not...)

Suggestions, anyone?

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

There was an article in a recent issue of Saveur in which they say that the pimientos are now being grown in the US although, in my view, there is no place like Padrón itself to eat them. Calvin Trillin had a long story in Saveur, I believe, years ago. He was invited to Padrón for the annual pimiento festival and was trying to get some seeds to bring back to the US. I don't know if he eventually succeeded. A reasonable substitute would be not-too-hot jalapeños. The Japanese markets do have a pepper which is similar to the Padrón, the same thin skin and similar shape and size. Try Katagiri (E.59th) or Sunrise (3rd Ave at 9th Street).

Ruth Friedman

I suppose if I'd read this webpage more carefully, the "exclusive" claim would have registered. Still, these guys have been growing them for at least a couple of years now--you'd think SOMEONE closer to the east coast might have picked up on the idea too....

Pimientos de Padrón

I'll check into the Japanese ones--thanks, Ruth!

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

An internet search turns up a grower in Northern California that sells them, and the the Spanish internet food site La Tienda will ship them to you for 25 DOLLARS A POUND!!  (I think not...)

They are worth every penny of that $25 lb, in my not so humble opinion. You may be able to get them cheaper directly from the grower, but he's pretty busy now being the height of the pepper season (he sells other kinds as well) so then again, perhaps not. They are the most wonderfully scrumptious little gems in the pepper world. There is no substitute - jalapenos aren't close in taste. The grower lives close to where I did, and we feasted on these treasures all summer long.

He also kept me supplied with mulberries, the only source I could find in all of California.

Lovely, lovely family with two drop dead gorgeous kids to educate.......do buy their peppers.

:biggrin:

• 2 years later...