• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drake's vs. Hostess

Jason Perlow

Since no one has yet mentioned my two favorite Drakes products, here they are:

funnybone_sm.jpg

ring_ding_sm.jpg

As a kid I remember thinking that the peanut butter cream inside FunnyBones tasted better than any peanut butter in a jar. And to this day, Ring Dings might still be the best rendition of chocolate and fake cream ever devised.

Never heard of Drakes, what about Entemans

See the odd thing is that products like "Devil Dogs" are so deep into my consciousness, that I almost can't concieve of never having heard of one.

Tunnel-vision, I guess. I suppose in other markets there are products as emblamatic as Devil Dogs which I've never heard of.

Enteman's coffee cakes are completely different--they are actual cakes, not personal-sized. Friehofer's too, before anyone asks that one. Although I think that's another east-coast only brand. Again, like with Hostess/Drake's they are two businesses owned by the same parent company--in this case Bestfoods Baking Company--which pretend really hard to be competitiors.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Hostess had a grainier texture, smelled sweeter than the Drakes.

Drakes was moister, spicier. More cinnamon.

Overall, we liked the Drakes better.

Jason forgot to mention the texture. On the Drakes cake you could tell the crumb from the cake in a positive way. With the Hostess, the crumb is the same texture as the cake, and since there is obviously less cinnamon it is a much inferiour coffee cake.

Out of anthropological interest I have to ask if these things are popular?

Rosie O'Donnel used to stump for Drake's Cakes on her T.V. show.

Now there's a discerning palate. :hmmm:

Hey, don't be dissing Rosie, PT Cruiser boy! :wink::laugh:

Rosie, Schmosie...I'll take Jenny Jones anyday. :biggrin:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

How does Little Debbie stack up to all of this?

Little Debbie is present in the Northeast market, but to me they've always seemed to come off as some kind of poor cousin. They've got worse shelf space, cheaper looking boxes, and less selection.

At least on the coffee cake front I don't think we can compare. I've never seen Little Debbie Coffee cakes.

Same with Tastycake. Talk about cheap looking boxes!

I just noticed yesterday that Entemans DOES have smaller coffee cakes, but they are bite-sized--about a quarter the size of the Drake's Cakes, but in multipacks.

Freihofer though... no sign of a hand-held size.

BTW: The much harder to find Drake's Chocolate Crumb (Coffee) Cakes? They Rule.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 4 weeks later...

:biggrin: Oh, yea ... no doubt ... Drakes takes the cake ! Moved from Long

Island to the left coast 25 years ago and miss three things most; NY Pizza, Knishes and Drakes cakes ... Long ago we had a friend visit. We asked her to buy 15 or so boxes of Drakes for us. She said the person at the check out gave her a very funny look since she was about 8 months pregnant!! I'd say however I had the bigger craving ... I wish I could just run in to Stater Brothers and buy my Devil Dogs ... Of course I am sure they are smaller than I remember in the 70's and cost much more. My vote Drakes over Hostess ... No contest ... :cool:

Hostess loses points just by virtue of the fact that they made Snowballs.

Disgusting pink objects that I couldn't get any kid at my lunch table to trade desserts with. :angry:

They were definitely not Ring Ding, Yodel or Devil Dog barter material.

Disgusting pink objects that I couldn't get any kid at my lunch table to trade desserts with.  :angry:

They were definitely not Ring Ding, Yodel or Devil Dog barter material.

My mom, who almost never eats sweets, loves Snowballs. She would peel off the coconut layer and eat it slowly, stretching it around and into long strings of sweet stickiness. I don't remember her eating the centers - but I do remember her offering them to me. Once every five years I so, I might buy one just for nostalgia's sake.

Disgusting pink objects that I couldn't get any kid at my lunch table to trade desserts with

Pink tits?

Who made Big Wheels?

Tina Turner?

Seriously... this person claims it was Hostess.

Wait... Here's even more of the story. Apparently "Big Wheels" were identical to "Ding Dongs" and were also occasionally called "King Dons". Who knew?

That person is clearly insane.

Actually, Big Wheels may have been a larger version of Ring Dings or Ding Dongs (I can't believe I'm having this conversation). But we definitely had them as a kid here in NYC.

Disgusting pink objects that I couldn't get any kid at my lunch table to trade desserts with

Pink tits?

No nipples.

Wish I could find a picture - but alas, none on the Hostess or Home Town website.

I think they came in white too. Also disgusting.

Who made Big Wheels?

Tina Turner?

Seriously... this person claims it was Hostess.

Wait... Here's even more of the story. Apparently "Big Wheels" were identical to "Ding Dongs" and were also occasionally called "King Dons". Who knew?

That person is clearly insane.

Actually, Big Wheels may have been a larger version of Ring Dings or Ding Dongs (I can't believe I'm having this conversation). But we definitely had them as a kid here in NYC.

Never saw them in the suburbs. Nor the "King Dons". Nor the "Don Kings".

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"