• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bobby Chez Crabcakes

TheBoatMan

I've been to Bobby Chez's in Marlton several times (or is it Cherry Hill)--the one near Miel, etc. I think the crab cakes are perfectly good, if a little pricey, but they don't even touch those I'm used to from Eastern Market in DC. Bobby's are low on filler, but it's still too much filler for my taste. And the LONG LONG lines waiting to buy and go, well, it's almost a complete deterrent. My aunt and I waited there once to buy dinner around 2 pm on a Saturday (I know this is a busy time but still) for 45 minutes! This should be helped w/ more locations opening up tho.

Oh--and the mashed potatoes at Bobby's rock! (But they, like everything else, are Fresh Fields-pricey.)

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Sara, I think you mean the Eastern Market in Ballamore.

My trip, with Holly Moore, to meet Varmint, Vengroff and hjshorter, for Faidley's crabcakes and Camden Yards, hooked me onto this board, even though my best reduction is to my bank account.

S'got me damn serious about Varmint's bash the week after my birfday!

Charlie

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Hey Charlie, good to see you on eGullet!

Sara, I've been to the Cherry Hill location a few times, and it was never that busy. On the other hand, the crab cakes aren't overwhelmingly good, IMO. (I gotta head down to Baltimore one of these days to try Faidley's.) But as I posted on the NJ board, the onion rings are probably the best I've had. Certainly the best anywhere near Philly...

I'd like to try the lobster mashed potatoes. But they are wicked expensive...

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

Mummer...No, I really do mean the Eastern Market, in Washington DC...there's a little lunch spot in the market famous for its crabcakes.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Mea culpa, Sara,

There is an Eastern Market in Ballamore, but I also goofed as Faidley's is in their Lexington Market.

Eastern Avenue is the way home to Philly from downtown. You go thru their little Italy. I've done a few projects there.

The Ballamore (and Interstate) folks try to get you to go South, thru a tunnel. Perhaps it's a better route, but I think they're looking for a toll. I don't care as much about the toll as about the traffic.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I live 'round the corner from the Bobby Chez in Voorhees. I pass it all the time on the way to Shop Rite, if I go down that road (561). And I always thought it wasn't open -- I NEVER see cars outside!

I'll have to pick up some crabcakes (I don't really eat them) for my BF and daughter and report back vicariously.

Edited by harriet1954 (log)