• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Western grocery chains in Japan

KNorthrup

Do you know if there is Costco near Osaka? I can tell my sister about it.

Also, do you know if the produce they sell is grown in Japan or imported? Seeing the prices, it is probably imported, but I thought it was quite difficult to get the Japanese govenment to allow import of many types of produce.

As far as Walmart, I hate Walmart here in the US. They may have good prices, but they are a disaster for the local economy. They moved into my hometown in Hawaii, and within a few years, a majority of major grocery stores and department stores that had been there forever closed down, as well as little stores. Also, I heard they are a suspect for importing coqui frogs into Hawaii.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/coqui/background.asp

Anyways, I also heard Walmart was going to buy Daiei, maybe that us how they are expanding in Japan.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=daiei...ay.com+-%2Fgidx

Also, do you know if the produce they sell is grown in Japan or imported? Seeing the prices, it is probably imported, but I thought it was quite difficult to get the Japanese govenment to allow import of many types of produce.

The produce is a mixture, I almost always buy the celery (American) and zometimes the bags of cut lettuce (American) but the heads of iceberg are always Japanese. The carrots and potatoes I picked up two days ago were both from Hokkaido while strawberries and pomegranates were Californian and the kabocha from Mexico....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Do you know if there is Costco near Osaka?  I can tell my sister about it.

I go to the Amagasaki one, too. If she's taking the train, there's a shuttle bus to Carrefour (which is right next to Costco) from Hankyu Tsukaguchi Station (the bus also goes to a couple of other stations--JR Amagasaki and I can't remember the other). Tsukaguchi is just 4 or 5 stops from Hankyu Umeda. Or if she misses the shuttle and wants to walk, she'd be better off getting of at Sonoda station, which is one stop before Tsukaguchi. It's just a 15-minute (or less, depending on how fast you walk) from there.

If she wants company, I'd be happy to show her the way! I bought 4 lbs of sweet red seedless grapes a week ago for just Y1000. Very cheap by Japanese standards!

• 3 months later...
Earlier this week (or late last week) there was another article in the Yomiuri.  In this one, they stressed their commitment to Japan, but they refused to comment on whether they had spoken with other companies about selling.  Well, it sounds they'll be here for the time being, at least!  Yay for us!

It's official...I just heard it on the news. Carrefour is pulling out of the Japanese market. Aeon is taking over their stores--I'm not sure if that means they'll be operating the stores under the Carrefour name, or if the stores will be changing their names. All I have to say is...Crap! I love Carrefour. Well, maybe they'll have a good sale and I'll be able to pick up some cheap wine or something.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

I've never been to one of the Costcos in Japan (too far to travel without a car), but Costco concessions stands are an attraction even in the US. My relatives in the San Francisco area eat there occasionally (when they're feeling lazy), and will often buy takeout pizzas to eat at home.

I've heard that the ones in Japan serve food that is similar, if not exactly the same, but I don't have any personal experience.

-------

Alex Parker

The food court at Costco is always packed, we have a hard time finding a table...

The price is just too good to pass up! 250 yen ($2.40) for an American sized hotdog and a drink (with free refills) you can't get that anywhere here......

I was talking with a Japanese friend about Carrefour, we couldn't believe it is really going to be leaving. :sad:

Does anyone know when? I will check out their sale, if there is one....

The food court at Costco is always packed, we have a hard time finding a table...

The price is just too good to pass up! 250 yen ($2.40) for an American sized hotdog and a drink (with free refills) you can't get that anywhere here......

I was talking with a Japanese friend about Carrefour, we couldn't believe it is really going to be leaving. :sad:

Does anyone know when? I will check out their sale, if there is one....

According to the Daily Yomiuri, "The eight stores will retain the Carrefour name for the time being...Aeon will have the exclusive right to use the Carrefour brand in Japan and to utilize Carrefour's global network to procure such items as European foods". Seems like not much will change, for now. Even the current employees will still be working at the stores (should they want to). Will have to wait and see what happens

• 5 months later...

I am please to report that my beloved bulgogi bake is back at Costco!! It disappeared last fall, I assume because of the lack of cheap American beef. It was still missing at the beginning of July, but last week it was back! Gone was the chicken bake (no tears shed for that! I though it was horrible!), though. Here's a picture of the inside of a bulgogi bake. There's quite a bit of meat in it, and it's very juicy.

If you haven't already tried it, you really much. While the priciest of Costco food offerings (Y399) it's at least 2 meals worth of food!

I am please to report that my beloved bulgogi bake is back at Costco!! It disappeared last fall, I assume because of the lack of cheap American beef. It was still missing at the beginning of July, but last week it was back! Gone was the chicken bake (no tears shed for that! I though it was horrible!), though. Here's a picture of the inside of a bulgogi bake. There's quite a bit of meat in it, and it's very juicy.

If you haven't already tried it, you really much. While the priciest of Costco food offerings (Y399) it's at least 2 meals worth of food!

I never realized it was gone! :shock:

I was just there on Thursday and my friend ordered it for her lunch. I really like them but they are just too big for me to eat a whole one. Do you re-heat it?

I was just there on Thursday and my friend ordered it for her lunch. I really like them but they are just too big for me to eat a whole one. Do you re-heat it?

I always reheat it. Because it's so juicy, it tends to get soggy when it cools. A couple of minutes in the toaster oven and it's as good as new!

I noticed that the seafood pizza is also gone from the Costco here. The frozen drinks seem to be seasonal, too. Right now it's mango, but it used to be mixed berry.

I always reheat it. Because it's so juicy, it tends to get soggy when it cools. A couple of minutes in the toaster oven and it's as good as new!

I noticed that the seafood pizza is also gone from the Costco here. The frozen drinks seem to be seasonal, too. Right now it's mango, but it used to be mixed berry.

yeah I noticed that mango drink and was very tempted. I also noticed they now have a vanilla and matcha swirl soft cream...

A couple months ago, when they changed the pizzas to square, they had all three kinds (mix, seafood and cheese) but now the seafood does seem to be gone.

Their sweet potato cake is really good though as is their orange flavored swiss roll.... :biggrin:

I always eye those pizzas at CostCo but what I cant figure out is how people cook them. I have a pretty large oven but I would still have to bake it in sections. I have this funny image of people doing individual slices in the toaster oven :laugh:

What is all this sqaure pizza madness?? Recent flyer from the home delivery places have square pizzas too.....

The mango drink is screw up your face sickly sweet - but my nieces love it! :raz:

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

I always eye those pizzas at CostCo but what I cant figure out is how people cook them.  I have a pretty large oven but I would still have to bake it in sections.  I have this funny image of people doing individual slices in the toaster oven :laugh:

What is all this sqaure pizza madness??  Recent flyer from the home delivery places have square pizzas too.....

The mango drink is screw up your face sickly sweet - but my nieces love it! :raz:

I cut the pizza in quarters and then bake two pieces at a time.

Thanks for the heads up on the mango drink, I will skip it . :biggrin:

I always eye those pizzas at CostCo but what I cant figure out is how people cook them.  I have a pretty large oven but I would still have to bake it in sections.  I have this funny image of people doing individual slices in the toaster oven :laugh:

I've never seen anyone buy the whole pizzas from the store, just from the food kiosk where they cook it for you. I wonder if anyone ever buys the store ones! Maybe they just put them out for looks...

I was afraid of that. A friend had the mixed berry one, and said the same about it. I was tempted to try the mango one, but avoided it...and now I'm glad I did!

Exelsior Coffee, by the way, has a not too sweet frozen mango drink that's pretty good!

• 6 months later...

On my trip to Costco on Friday I found soft shell crabs!

I have never seen these in Japan before and was very excited. They were already cleaned and ready to be cooked. 5 in a pack for 698yen.

I almost want to back this week and pick them up again as I know they won't be there next month.

I have never seen these in Japan before and was very excited. They were already cleaned and ready to be cooked. 5 in a pack for 698yen.

I almost want to back this week and pick them up again as I know they won't be there next month.

Aaaaaahh! I want some! I'm not scheduled for a Costco visit till next week, though, and then two days later, I'm off to the Philippines for 10 days! Crap!

What are you going to do with them?

Aaaaaahh! I want some! I'm not scheduled for a Costco visit till next week, though, and then two days later, I'm off to the Philippines for 10 days! Crap!

What are you going to do with them?

Are you kidding?! I ate them that day!! :raz:

I made a mix of flour and Old Bay seasoning and shallow fried them, they then accompanied a wonderful Ceasar salad. The kids loved them. :angry: that measn there weren't as many left for me.

Philippines? You are doing a lot of traveling this year.....

• 10 months later...

Costco has a new salad that has quickly become a family favorite. Shrimp and Mango! It comes packed with mixed greens and a lovely citrus dressing. Though you can't tell from the package it has quite a bit more volume than the spinach salad. It serves my family of 5 as a main course with a simple side and maybe some bread. A little pricier at 1200 yen but well worth the price.

• 10 months later...

The Costco by my house had La Brea baguettes last week. A pack of 5 (shortish ones) was in the 600 yen range. They were really good. This is going to be a staple purchase for me from now on.

I also like their new spicy chicken pizza, it has just shredded chicken and onions but a nice tangy BBQ type sauce on the chicken.

I was also happy they finally brought my spinach salad back, I really missed it. It did seem a tad smaller though.

The Costco by my house had La Brea baguettes last week. A pack of 5 (shortish ones) was in the 600 yen range. They were really good. This is going to be a staple purchase for me from now on.

Are those the parbaked ones that you finish baking yourself? I've been thinking of trying them, since they're quite cheap and would be very convenient. But if they're fully baked, I would have to pass. I can't eat that much bread! Well, I can, but it wouldn't be a good thing!

Are those the parbaked ones that you finish baking yourself? I've been thinking of trying them, since they're quite cheap and would be very convenient. But if they're fully baked, I would have to pass. I can't eat that much bread! Well, I can, but it wouldn't be a good thing!

No they are fully baked. I have tried their partially baked ones (not La Brea) and really didn't care for them at all. They have directions for freezing and reheating. :biggrin:

I finally made it to Carrefour the other day. I saw the copper cookwear that someone mentioned somewhere. It seemed really thin and all the weight was in the handle. I don't know if it was made in France it seemed sort of dubious. Another thing that caught by eye was the really cheap couscous. I eat a lot of couscous so this was good for me. What do you buy at Carrefour?

Did you happen to notice if they have the really easy-to-cook couscous that comes in a thin plastic bag that you drop directly into boiling water? That was my favorite kind, but the other supermarkets in town stopped carrying it.

I finally made it to Carrefour the other day. I saw the copper cookwear that someone mentioned somewhere. It seemed really thin and all the weight was in the handle. I don't know if it was made in France it seemed sort of dubious. Another thing that caught by eye was the really cheap couscous. I eat a lot of couscous so this was good for me. What do you buy at Carrefour?