• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Gambero Rosso Sweet 16

If someone with the guide would be willing to indulge my curiosity, I'd love to know how the restaurant at Locanda dell'Amorosa (Le Coccole dell'Amorosa) was rated? It is without doubt the best restaurant I went to in Italy, but then again, my experience was quite limited.

In general I think that ratings of restaurants can be useful if you also can gain some insight into the criteria that the raters are using. Otherwise, you have no way to know how well these ratings are likely to mesh with your own preferences. For example, I find Zagat's basically useless because it is a composite of a myriad of individuals applying a myriad of different criteria to their experiences.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I'd love to know how the restaurant at Locanda dell'Amorosa (Le Coccole dell'Amorosa) was rated?

The Locanda dell'Amorosa is listed in the Michelin Guide as a hotel, the restaurant is mentioned, but does not receive a star. The Gambero Rosso Guide does not list this restaurant at all. The other place to look would be the Espresso guide which I don't have.

Le Coccole dell'Amorosa is rated 4 forks by Touring Club Italiano Blue Guide as a 'deluxe' restaurant, but receives no special awards for their food. In the other guides I have only the hotel is listed and it is always very highly regarded. I can only assume that such a highly reviewed hotel would have a good restaurant.

Here is what they say about themselves.

Le Coccole dell'Amorosa is rated 4 forks by Touring Club Italiano Blue Guide as a 'deluxe' restaurant, but recieves no special awards for their food. In the other guides I have only the hotel is listed and it is always very high regarded. I can only assume that such a highly reviewed hotel would have a good restaurant.

Here is what they say about themselves.

I was curious about the rating because of how amazing the two dinners I had there were. The first time I went I had a seven course tasting menu that made me weep - literally. If there are enough other restaurants in Italy that are so good that Amorosa isn't really on the radar as far as ratings go, the I really need to spend a lot more time in Italy....

I appreciate you taking the time to check for me, marcus & Craig.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 1 year later...
How does Il Desco remain so highly rated? I have never heard one vote in support of the restaurant from anyone on this board or any other by someone who has eaten there.

Consider me the first. Il Desco isn't El Bulli, French Laundry, Charlie Trotter's, Zuberoa, or (in my book) Mulinazzo, but it blows the doors of just about every other meal I've eaten in Italy or elsewhere. I wasn't there during Vinitaly, which probably helped, but I should concede that it has been a while (I went back to my hotel room that night to check on the Bush/Gore election results, which made for quite a long night). I plan to return this fall and report fully!

How does Il Desco remain so highly rated? I have never heard one vote in support of the restaurant from anyone on this board or any other by someone who has eaten there.

Consider me the first. Il Desco isn't El Bulli, French Laundry, Charlie Trotter's, Zuberoa, or (in my book) Mulinazzo, but it blows the doors of just about every other meal I've eaten in Italy or elsewhere. I wasn't there during Vinitaly, which probably helped, but I should concede that it has been a while (I went back to my hotel room that night to check on the Bush/Gore election results, which made for quite a long night). I plan to return this fall and report fully!

Consider the 30 mile drive to the three Michelin star Le Calandre in Rubano, a suburb of Padua. Perhaps it doesn't exactly blow the doors off of the French Laundry but based on five dinners at Calandre and two at the FL we much prefer Massimiliano, the youngest three Michelin star chef ever-anywhere. My wife and I were very disappointed in Il Desco but our visit was three or so years ago.

It will be interesting to hear Cy's report from when he returns from there.