• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fry cook to award-winning chef

Dave the Cook

Are we sure he didn't get tossed out of Gordon's kitchen the first day?

No he walked out of his own accord.

Now, who wants to know what became of Ed????

How do you know?

I too want to know what happened to him after!

Maybe we should take a few guesses first, and see how close we come. For instance:

I think he quit cooking and became an interior decorator. Based on the stunning re-design of his own flat, he was hired as the new featured designer on Changing Rooms.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

How do you know?

Elyse, I know what happened as it shows you on the programme that he walked out!

Right here goes peeps (apologies to Basildog, who has already read this :smile: )

On the follow up show, Ed was cooking a dinner party for his girlfriend and friends (and using a cookbook for it ). He's still pretty good on the slicing and chopping and the meal looked ok.

It turned out that after Ed won the competition, David Laris (Mezzo chef) offered him a place in Mezzo's kitchens but I think he said he would have to start at the bottom and go to college. Ed decided that catering wasn't for him really and decided to leave both fine dining and the burger van behind and become a writer (not sure what kind tho'). He is a more confident chap than before his experiences and thanked his 'attitude' coach (or whatever she was!) for this.

Not much I know but there was only about 10 mins of him. I think Ed is my joint fave of the Faking It lot along with the celloist who became a dance DJ.

How do you know?

Elyse, I know what happened as it shows you on the programme that he walked out!

As opposed to being carried out? Of course he walked out. But we don't see why.

How do you know?

As opposed to being carried out? Of course he walked out. But we don't see why.

As far as I remember, it said on the voiceover that he walked out because he just couldn't stand a minute longer in Ramsay's kitchen, and I'm sure they spoke to him about it after. :unsure: I'm may be wrong, it's been a while since I saw it. Or perhaps the US version is edited or has a different voiceover? :wacko:

Edited by Mrs Woman (log)

No, we got the same thing, but why didn't they show him leaving the kitchen? Not being able to take it could have made some juicy tv. Not showing what happened makes it seem like they're hiding something.

No, we got the same thing, but why didn't they show him leaving the kitchen?  Not being able to take it could have made some juicy tv.  Not showing what happened makes it seem like they're hiding something.

I think it was pretty much the way he called it.

Since he wasn't a hire, I doubt GR chewed on his butt.

He just seemed very uncomfortable to witness the fear of his employees and the general attitude of the kitchen.

As for me, I still get stoked everytime I see something on Ramseys kitchen on the tube.

I think he's a 'chefs' chef.

And I'm still looking for a copy of the BBC Omnibus show,'Boiling Point', a documentery done on Gordon Ramsey (quite?) a few years ago.

2317/5000

A report I read a couple of weeks ago had spoken to Ed and he was still working in a kitchen. However, he was working as a kitchen porter at the local council office. He said that he was unable to move into the high pressure environment of the kitchen, despite receiving offers. He revealed that he couldn't follow them up as he is a recovering alcoholic (not mentioned in the programme) and the hours mean that he couldn't attend the AA meetings he needed to each week.

Mrs Woman, if I remember correctly the meal looked fairly awful in the follow up programme (burnt Salmon if I remember correctly). Remind me never to come to dinner at your place :laugh:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"