• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fry cook to award-winning chef

Dave the Cook

I stumbled over this show the other night. From the BBC America web site:

Faking It is a transformational battle against the odds as eight brave individuals take up the challenge to completely change their identities.

With the help of three experts (the mentors), they have just four short weeks to acquire the skills necessary to convince a panel of eagle-eyed judges they are the genuine article with a wealth of background knowledge and not just a fake with four weeks experience.

One of the shows running this week follows Ed, an itinerant cook from Newcastle, as he tries to fulfill his dream of becoming a master chef. Two things stand in his way: he has only one month to do it, and he's being "helped" by the less-than-optimistic Gordon Ramsay.

A fun, sometimes touching show, and a rare chance for Yanks to see Chef Ramsay in action.

The episode airs Thursday, June 12 at 9:00 p.m.; and Friday, June 13 at 12:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. (all times EDT).

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Don't want to spoil it for anyone, but calling Ed a fry cook is greatly exaggerating his pre-training culinary skills!

I recommend everyone watches this - Both Ramsay, and Ed are brilliant.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

This was aired in the UK about 18 months ago and was my favourite of the Faking It series. Ed worked in a burger van (frying burgers and onions) and in no way could have been called a cook in any way! (You'll see what I mean).

Ramsay is featured but Ed is mostly mentored by the head chef of Mezzo, a Conran restaurant in London. I know what has happened to Ed since (on a Faking It update) but i will wait until you've seen the programme to say what.

Dammit. Some day I will again have a job with a paycheck attached, and then I can get buy a bottle of wine that costs ten dollars and get cable! The show sounds wonderful.

I'd really like to see the sheepshearer in action as well. I'd let him practice on me; free haircut!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Unmissable TV. Ed is a star and Gordon shows he's just a big softy after all. David Laris, ex-Mezzo, now with his own restaurant in China I believe, is the main mentor and does all the hard work. Original and quite moving.

Dammit.  Some day I will again have a job with a paycheck attached, and then I can get buy a bottle of wine that costs ten dollars and get cable!  The show sounds wonderful.

I'd really like to see the sheepshearer in action as well.  I'd let him practice on me; free haircut!

A tape is as good as on the way, Lily. I'll pack in a Chef's Tour and an Iron Chef as well.

VHS or Beta?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dammit.  Some day I will again have a job with a paycheck attached, and then I can get buy a bottle of wine that costs ten dollars and get cable!  The show sounds wonderful.

I'd really like to see the sheepshearer in action as well.  I'd let him practice on me; free haircut!

A tape is as good as on the way, Lily. I'll pack in a Chef's Tour and an Iron Chef as well.

VHS or Beta?

VHS, svp. You're a Prince.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Beta?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Geez! It took forever for someone to notice!

Um,,,I noticed, but, I was being polite. For all I know you still play all your old eight tracks.

To be perfectly honest, I still lurch a bit when listening to Live at Leeds on CD -- there's no ca-chunk in the middle of the "Tommy" detour at the end of My Generation.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I stumbled over this show the other night. From the BBC America web site:
Faking It is a transformational battle against the odds as eight brave individuals take up the challenge to completely change their identities.

With the help of three experts (the mentors), they have just four short weeks to acquire the skills necessary to convince a panel of eagle-eyed judges they are the genuine article with a wealth of background knowledge and not just a fake with four weeks experience.

One of the shows running this week follows Ed, an itinerant cook from Newcastle, as he tries to fulfill his dream of becoming a master chef. Two things stand in his way: he has only one month to do it, and he's being "helped" by the less-than-optimistic Gordon Ramsay.

A fun, sometimes touching show, and a rare chance for Yanks to see Chef Ramsay in action.

The episode airs Thursday, June 12 at 9:00 p.m.; and Friday, June 13 at 12:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. (all times EDT).

FUCKING GREAT SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAMSEY IS THE BEST!!!

ED TOO!!

INCREDIBLE!

2317/5000

That was pretty cool. I thought surely he would lose.

One think I find really annoying is when Gordon etc. are watching at the end, and we can't hear what's happening on the other side. :angry:

Terrific show.

In the course of doing a novelty, premise driven reality show they really caught some wonderful aspects of the real life of cooking. As good as anything I've seen on what it takes. I loved the changing perspective..from the "I've never seen so many terrified faces on so many people" remark to getting chewed out by his crew for being polite and not being frceful enough to the goodbye shot--where he really did look like a different--even better--person.

Ramsay was priceless--though let's face it--pretty Goddamn nice. I would have tossed poor Ed out of my kitchen on day one.

If you haven't seen this yet, catch it or tape it tomorrow. Too good to miss.

abourdain

I watched this last night when I got home from work and thought it was great. They aired another (ballet dancer to wrestler) but I thought after the chef episode it'd just be a letdown to watch another.

What was funny was that, the previous night, they'd aired the episode of Graham Norton that had Gordon Ramsay on it.

I, too, would love to know what's happened to Ed.

Jennie