• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NESCAFÉ® ICE JAVA™ ICED COFFEE SYRUP

Fat Guy

"New Nescafé Ice Java Coffee Syrup from Nestlé delivers coffee house taste and quality without the lines, attitude, or the price. This summer consumers can cool down and enjoy the refreshing taste of iced coffee anytime, anywhere. With a per serving price of $0.45, consumers can enjoy up to 20 servings of Nescafé Ice Java for a suggested retail price of $3.49, nearly the price of one coffee house ice coffee."

http://www.nestleusa.com/pressRoom/pressRe...522120431203254

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Nescafe Japan has had this for years! :biggrin:

The US is soooo behind :biggrin:

In Japan they are in individual containers, sort of like the containers cream for your coffee comes (about an inch or so in diameter), you add them to water, it is sort of like a thick syrup. Add milk as you please.

Nescafe also makes them for iced tea and iced green tea.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

"New Nescafé Ice Java Coffee Syrup from Nestlé delivers coffee house taste and quality without the lines, attitude, or the price.  This summer consumers can cool down and enjoy the refreshing taste of iced coffee anytime, anywhere.  With a per serving price of $0.45, consumers can enjoy up to 20 servings of Nescafé Ice Java for a suggested retail price of $3.49, nearly the price of one coffee house ice coffee."

http://www.nestleusa.com/pressRoom/pressRe...522120431203254

It's amazing what they can do with plastic; the mean, the "refreshing taste

of plastic".

you can also use Nescafé Ice Java iced coffee syrup to create a variety of sumptuous recipes including: Chilled Irish Mocha, Tai Ice Coffee, Cappuccino Rum Shake, Caramel Latte Cooler, Coffee Cooler Brownie, Coffee Crunch Sundae, and even a Chocolate Mocha Crème Brûlée.  For these and more mouthwatering recipes visit  www.meals.com.

Coffee Crunch Sundae? :blink:

Kristin, is this stuff any good? It sounds pretty wierd.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Oddly enough, a sample of this arrived unsolicited in my mail today. I squeezed the chocolate-colored syrup into a glass of whole milk, took a sip, and spat it into the sink. This stuff reeks.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Autocrat coffee syrup has been a staple in Rhode Island for years. It's most commonly mixed into milk or used to make a coffee cabinet. Out-of-staters commonly substitute a p for the t in the name when describing it.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

you can also use Nescafé Ice Java iced coffee syrup to create a variety of sumptuous recipes including: Chilled Irish Mocha, Tai Ice Coffee, Cappuccino Rum Shake, Caramel Latte Cooler, Coffee Cooler Brownie, Coffee Crunch Sundae, and even a Chocolate Mocha Crème Brûlée.  For these and more mouthwatering recipes visit  www.meals.com.

Coffee Crunch Sundae? :blink:

Kristin, is this stuff any good? It sounds pretty wierd.

The flavored ones are only American, the Japanese don't go for this silliness! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 5 months later...

I came looking for enlightenment......... if not Nescafe... what? I like a coffee-flavoured milk-based drink, icy cold, even in the winter. Anyone found a way to make their own coffee syrup?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, I just read this article in The Washington Post Food section about the origins of cold brewing and a product called the "Toddy," a cold-brewing system that produces a thick coffee syrup you can mix with your preferred liquid and serve hot or iced. The Toddy people claim that cold brewing "extracts the delicious flavor from coffee beans, but leaves behind the bitter acids and fatty oils caused by hot brewing."

On the manufacturer's website (http://toddycafe.com), the Toddy system goes for $36.50. (Limited Time Offer: Free shippping and a bottle of cappuccino concentrate with your purchase of the Toddy!)

Has anyone tried this method? What do you think?

Erin

Anna, I just read this article in The Washington Post Food section about the origins of cold brewing and a product called the "Toddy," a cold-brewing system that produces a thick coffee syrup you can mix with your preferred liquid and serve hot or iced.  The Toddy people claim that cold brewing "extracts the delicious flavor from coffee beans, but leaves behind the bitter acids and fatty oils caused by hot brewing."

On the manufacturer's website (http://toddycafe.com), the Toddy system goes for $36.50.  (Limited Time Offer:  Free shippping and a bottle of cappuccino concentrate with your purchase of the Toddy!) 

Has anyone tried this method?  What do you think?

The toddy is great for iced coffee. I still don't prefer it for my morning cuppa, but in the summer you can plop a shot into a glass of ice and then fill it up with cold water and milk if you prefer.

Many people love the toddy for their hot joe. I am still completely sold on my Bunn drip and wouldn't think of replacing it for the world. (I've actually taken it with me on vacation!) :biggrin:

Oh -- The Nescafe stuff sounds perfectly dreadful. Run -- as far and as fast as you can!

Edited by Comfort Me (log)

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

The Toddy system has been around for many years, is well proven and makes a phenomenally good coffee extract ideal for makign iced drinks. Some people even mix it with a bit of water and serve it as a convenient but far higher quality for instant coffee. It's limited only by the quality of the beans you use to do the cold brewing process. I know some extremely particular, dmeanding and discerning espresso aficionados who swear by the Toddy system for cold drinks.

I don't have one but did once have an iced cappucci made from a Toddy brewer when I visited Cafe Brazil in the Deep Ellum section of Dallas TX.

Very significant aspect of Toddy for some folks is the fact that the output is extremely low in acidity. People who are acid sensitive can often easily handle hot coffee made from Toddy extract mixed with hot water.

How hard is it to pour coffee over ice?

(You gotta give credit to Nestle for it's sheer evil genius at selling useless products to people around the world.)

i lived on that in college.

my hangover cure for about noon, after missing morning classes was a 32oz to-go cup filled with ice, and hot coffee poured over the ice until it was chilled, but still cubey. i then added half n half, put the lid on and shook.

the real b*tch is the sugar tho - it always stays crystal in the bottom. so i learned to live with unsweetened cafe au lait.

Edited by tryska (log)

It seems like the coffee concentrate would be easy to make without a $36 contraption. Am I missing something or couldn't you just soak ground coffee in cold water overnight and then pour it through a filter?

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

It seems like the coffee concentrate would be easy to make without a $36 contraption. Am I missing something or couldn't you just soak ground coffee in cold water overnight and then pour it through a filter?

Yes..... but be patient. It'll take a long time with a paper filter because of the higher-than-normal ratio of coffee to water.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Enlightenment is what I sought and what I got. :smile: Before I invest $36 US dollars (must be about $150 Cdn after I add in taxes, customs, shipping, etc.) I think I will see what I can learn from soaking freshly ground beans in cold water and filtering the result. At least it will keep me out of the pool halls for a few hours! :biggrin:

Thanks to all of you for pointing me in the right direction.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog