• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Viognier/Condrieu

MarkinHouston

Domaine Cheze makes a lovely Viognier. We're currently pouring it by the glass and it seems to be quite popular.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Beachfan, if prices in Paris are no cheaper than in the U.S., what wines would you recommend as our four-bottle allotment through customs? Should we just enjoy the wine while in Paris and then bring home armagnac or Gran Marnier instead? I don't want to transport plonk! If there can be no savings, maybe I should use the luggage space for olive oil and sea salt! :wacko:

If you are going to be there- get the stuff no-one can get here- Chateau Grillet- a postage stamp Nothern Rhone AOC that rarely makes it out of that country "we love to hate so" France. Cannot reccomend a producer as I have never laid eyes upon the stuff myself.

over it

Chateau Grillet is an appellation in itself. It is the smallest appellation in France. The vineyards are 7.5 acres and sit on a domed hill above the Rhone River. It is very expensive but a very special wine. It is extremely hard to find in the US. I think that the Guigal and Boissonet are better values.

Chateau Grillet is an appellation in itself.  It is the smallest appellation in France.  The vineyards are 7.5 acres and sit on a domed hill above the Rhone River.  It is very expensive but a very special wine.  It is extremely hard to find in the US. I think that the Guigal and Boissonet are better values.

Chateau Grillet used to have a regular importer. It has been many years since I tried to buy this wine because they were so disappointing, especially given the ridiculous prices. $80-100 wholesale.

Guigal "La Doriane" has become easier to get. Retails for around $60. This is super-charged Condrieu. Try the 2001. The regular Guigal is flabbier, but much less expensive, around $30.

Mark

Domaine Cazal Viel is one of our french favourites. There is quite a bit of good aussie stuff starting to happen, but I'm not sure about US availability.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Beachfan, if prices in Paris are no cheaper than in the U.S., what wines would you recommend as our four-bottle allotment through customs? Should we just enjoy the wine while in Paris and then bring home armagnac or Gran Marnier instead? I don't want to transport plonk! If there can be no savings, maybe I should use the luggage space for olive oil and sea salt!  :wacko:

If your only talking 4 bottles, then it really doesn't matter because your bringing home memories that happen to be wine. So I might stick with the Vernay and Delas suggestions.

A nice relatively new wine store in Paris is called Lavinia (near the place de l'Opera). Very large, lots to look at. Look at the trophy wines in their special room a lot of fun (but those wines are overpriced). Buy some of the Rhone wines there (which includes Condrieu), the Chateaunuef du Papes were competively priced if you like those (I love them).

If "a deal" is important to you, bring some (one) wine store catalogues with you. The Wine Club, or the Wine Exchange (or K&L) are all very competitively priced stores. Remember, the French prices will have the tax built in. In the US, you need to pay tax (in-state), shipping, or both (shipped in state). Then you can compare prices.

PS if you live in NY or some other state that doesn't allow shipping from other states, the Wine Club prices are probably about 10% to 15% cheaper than you can get.

Edited by Beachfan (log)

beachfan

The best value Condrieu producer I've found is by far Francois Villard. Restrained oak treatment, actual acidity, and even a little positive development with a year or two's age.

Several different bottlings, including a sweet "Quintessence" that's pretty good but not a revelation.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.