• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: What Would Mom Say?

Fat Guy

Jin... I am trying to imagine mechanical feet. I'm not getting there.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I use flat leaf parsley. I know, I'm a philistine.

As opposed to what? Curly leaf parsley is fine for garnish, but not much else. I see no Philistine here.

Jim

Alright I have to say something...

Curly parsley and Italian parsley taste identical. The Thomas Keller model is flawed on this one. It's bullshit. The difference is about 59 cents a pound.

Curly parsley and Italian parsley taste identical.  The Thomas Keller model is flawed on this one.  It's bullshit.  The difference is about 59 cents a pound.

Thank you, thank you Spencer! I have been trying to convince, er foodies, about this for years.

Flat leaf, curly leaf. It's all parsley. Period.

Your pronouncement about the parsley question might be the most important thing to happen on eGullet this week.

Yeah, fifty nine cents is the only difference. And the flat leaf gets slimey faster.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I think Parsley is an underappreciated herb. I prefer the curly version. But if you wash and dry the herbs (i.e. ciliantro or flat leaf), they will last longer. Or, you could put them in a jar of water in the frig.

What is philistine about parsley?

Curly parsley and Italian parsley taste identical.  The Thomas Keller model is flawed on this one.  It's bullshit.

Disagree. Perhaps when finely minced or pureed the flavour profiles are the same. But the texture of loose chopped curly parsley is manky. And the stems seem more bitter and drier than flat leaf.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Curly parsley and Italian parsley taste identical.  The Thomas Keller model is flawed on this one.  It's bullshit.

Disagree. Perhaps when finely minced or pureed the flavour profiles are the same. But the texture of loose chopped curly parsley is manky. And the stems seem more bitter and drier than flat leaf.

I'm with you on this, Jin. Sorry, C/W and Maggie!

But I still adore all of you . . . :wub:

I won't accept that.  I'm right.

In your world, of course you are dear.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I think Parsley is an underappreciated herb.  I prefer the curly version.  But if you wash and dry the herbs (i.e. ciliantro or flat leaf), they will last longer.  Or, you could put them in a jar of water in the frig.

What is philistine about parsley?

I think what I meant in my original post is that a person is acting like a philistine if they're still trumpeting the value of flat leaf over curly leaf. I called myself a philistine for not having swithched back to curly leaf yet. A sort of joke. I recognize now that this meaning is far from clear.

I love parsley, both kinds. It's probably my favorite herb. I'm in the Barely a Difference camp as far as taste goes. Plus I really love the look of curly parsely. It's so cheery. And it's a pleasure to chop.

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

Flat leaf...good for garnishes..window pane potatoes a la Martha Stewart, laying in between two sheets of pasta and running through the machine. We all know that curly parsley is the Shoney's garnish of choice.

As far as getting the chloropyll, a la French cooking, curly works just as well, if not better than flat leaf.

Chopping for a colorful finish on a plate...if you're using flat leaf I bet you and you're accountant hate each other.

Flavor, NO DIFFERENCE...

The accountant eats here. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I use flat leaf in many visible contexts, but never do garnishes that are not integral to the dish.

Consequently, I rarely have curly on hand to just get chloropyll. I use spinach for that. :wink:

The accountant eats here. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I use flat leaf in many visible contexts, but never do garnishes that are not integral to the dish.

Consequently, I rarely have curly on hand to just get chloropyll. I use spinach for that. :wink:

No parsley. Steak.