• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Here's $1000 from Aunt Tilly.

I agree with Ruth:

I think to pay $1000 for a wine that may be spoiled or just as good as a $100 - $200 bottle. I would take the $1000 and spend it on a meal, for I cook for a living so to go out and eat and let someone else cook is ideal!

Life is so brief that we should not glance either too far backwards or forwards…therefore study how to fix our happiness in our glass and in our plate.

A.L.B. Grimod de la Reyniere

'Almanach des gourmands'

some of my most memorable meals and bottles of wine have been gifts from friends..."is there anything you don't care for may I cook for you?" or the Grange Grunge pulled out to impress a mutual friend that moved back to town....as a foodie that dated a wine guy for years and drank exceptional wines in the course of our romance ...I would still go for asking a talented chef to cook for me ....of course including a wine mentor that would love to compliment the fine meal with great wines and twinkling eyes would make the experience oh so much finer. :wub: