• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

potstickers

Inspired by Jinmyo's return of gyozilla menu on the Dinner thread, I've decided to try my hand at making potstickers sometime over the next week or weekend.

I have a recipe for five onion dumplings with a shoyu-mirin dipping sauce from an old Natural Health magazine article that I saved over the years. It calls for, among other things, a dough made from rice flour and sesame oil.

I'm not sure whether it will work, so I was hoping people could mention a couple of their favorite recipes or processes when making potstickers or Asian dumplings. Or should I go for the store-bought premade dumpling wrapper route? I want thin wrapper skins but sturdy enough to hold the contents within without falling apart.

Ok, discuss away...

Soba

Normally we use a simple flour-water mix for the dough

For boiled jiaozi (chinese spelling - nb the japanese stole everything from the chinese apart from tempura, which they stole from the portugese ;-) ) you use cold water making the dough, for potstickers use hot water. Can't remember why - presume something to do with texture or elasticity (similarly the translucent skins for har gau dim sum are made with hot water)

Can't remember proportions off top of head but home-made definitely the best way to go

cheerio

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Here's the recipe I use most often, based on a Barbara Tropp recipe:Potstickers

I don't make my own skins. With an inquisitive 7 year old, it's a recipe for disaster.

Make and freeze in quantity. Give as gifts.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 2 years later...

After discovering this recipe for Crab Pot Stickers With Spicy Sesame Dipping Sauce by Patricia Yeo, i'm making potstickers almost every weekend - do yourself a favor and try the dipping sauce at least - it's amazing.

i tried different filling variations -

shrimps;

monkfish;

salmon;

(when doing shrimp or monkfish i whizzed half of the meat and diced the rest; salmon was diced only)

and of course the original version with king crab and cod.

next time i'm planning to make lamb with gralic chives - i think it's mentioned somewhere here by Jinmyo.

You know, this is the first time I've seen this thread.

Helena, another fine thing to do with lamb for gyoza is to take braised lamb shank or shoulder, pull it, fold with pureed mint and a wee bit of roasted chile, shape and wrap, with a ponzu or lime and shoyu dipping sauce. I fry these on all sides actually.

Gyozilla rules the earth.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jinmyo, i'm so making these lamb shanks stickers (we have a party this Fri) - i don't have ponzu but i do have like three different kinds of yuzu kosho both in green and red!  :wub:

Excellent. And I actually meant yuzu bit was absent-minded.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM