• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

white zinfandel

guajolote

A well made White Zin is a pleasure to drink, by itself or with an alfresco meal. Problem is so few are well made, but worth searching out if you get a good recommendation.

Sidebar note, Zinfandel is a well known bleeder, the skins give out their colour very readily, probably more than any other red grape, which is why the stuff is never white but the currently unfashionable pink.

By coincidence, my favourite wine merchant, the excellent Alex Riley [alex@alexrileywines.co.uk] has just written:

My 6 Rosés (all are 2002) are:

Mas des Bressades – the old favourite – Strawberries £5.10

Mourgues du Gres « Galets Rosés” - £5.60

Ditto « Capitelles des Mourgues » (delicately oaked) - £6.50

Ditto « Fleur d’Eglantine » Grenache/Carignan Raspberries Delicious ! £5.30

Ch. Haut Rian – another old favourite - £5.10

Torres Rosado – another old favourite – Cherries! £5.10

Though I have sold the Haut Rian and the Torres in several previous years, they have never tasted as good as they do this year.

Take two each of the above delightful summer wines at a special price of £63.

(These prices include VAT and duty - very high in the UK)

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Oooohhhh! I just found out that one of my favorite wine producers from Sonoma is making a grenache rose. Unti Vineyards has made a tiny bit of this wine from the 2002 vintage. Only 249 cases produced. Apparently only 5 bottles have hit the east coast, and they all came to us! One was a gift to the Beverage Director and the other four will be on our reserve list. I'm probably not going to get to taste it. Grrrrr :angry: !

But the 2001 Grenache is currently being served by the glass and it's unbelievable! I just tired it today and it has an incredible depth of flavor and smooth lingering finish. Tastiest domestic grenache I think I've ever tasted! I'm certain the rose is of equal quality since the winemaker is a bit of a nut and really into low yields and ultra-high quality.

Try any of these wines if you can find them. They really are terrific.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol