• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

I've learned from attending these types of functions that you should not try to make enough to feed everyone. If there will be 80 people at a potluck, and everyone makes enough food for 80 people, you'll end up with enough food to feed like 400 folks. Remember that most people will want to try as many different things as possible, and as a result will take much smaller portions than at a regular meal. Even doing this I think I tasted less than half the dishes...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

There was sooooo much food yesterday. I took home at least two dinners worth of food, and a lot of stuff just got tossed.

Since when are leftovers a bad thing? If food got tossed, it just means that people didn't 1) eat enough or 2)take enough leftovers home.

:laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

WOW:

What a day it was. Thanks to Jonathon and Nina. It was a pleasure meeting you and that fabulous son of yours Jacob. Jason great conversation and terrific pictures. Elyse your pecan pie is top of the world. Rachael your jello mold was a work of art. Fink, the most tender tasty temptatious (is that a word) pork I have had.

The sides were so good; from the samosas to the collards to the dumplings and everything else. Just one thing, Herb could you use just a little more vodka next time. It was my pleasure to meet and eat with all you all. Taylor and your wife, your flat bread rocks. I so look forward to the next time.

There was sooooo much food yesterday. I took home at least two dinners worth of food, and a lot of stuff just got tossed.

Since when are leftovers a bad thing? If food got tossed, it just means that people didn't 1) eat enough or 2)take enough leftovers home.

Yes, but it broke my heart. I HATE to waste food. :sad:

Yes, but it broke my heart. I HATE to waste food. :sad:

sorry, i was on a tour of the dairy. when i got back, everything was gone.

c'est la vie. gotta keep the wild critters well fed.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

And for the record, tommy and I are not capitalized people. :wink:

Well, elyse, that should be our community project, getting you capitalized so that the whole world can enjoy your baked goodies!

For the record, one of the early pictures here shows elyse's pao de quejo little bitty puffs off the the left. Even cooled down from the trip, they were just as delicious as expected.

I figure we're going to eat potatoes for the next week or two. :shock: But Rosie's health salad will be gone by tonight. :wub:

Everything I tasted was a winner. Please, everyone, POST YOUR RECIPES!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I will if I can figure out what I put into the dressing :wacko: )

I've learned from attending these types of functions that you should not try to make enough to feed everyone.  If there will be 80 people at a potluck, and everyone makes enough food for 80 people, you'll end up with enough food to feed like 400 folks.

80 x 80 = 6,400 portions

Assuming a normal person eats 5 portions of food to make a complete meal, we're still talking about enough food for 1,280 normal people.

Assuming an eGulleter eats 3 times as much food as a normal person, we get very close to =Mark's 400 number.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Yup. That was my Dr. Pepper cake. The folks at the office are finishing the other one right now.

Actually — the recipe is from Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Syracuse. Best one I've found... and I'm from Texas orignally.

Edited by Liz Johnson (log)

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Mark, can you post that portobello recipe? Or just tell me what you add to the marinade.  I just had the leftovers for lunch, and the heat intensified a bit...wonderful.

The portabellas are embarassingly easy. The marinade was a large bottle of Ken's 3 Cheese Italian dressing (the Caesar is good too), buzzed up in a food processor with as much canned Chipotles in Adobo as you want. The ratio I used was a 6 oz can of chipotles to one large bottle of dressing. When serving to known chileheads, I'll double the amount of chipotles.

For those who disdain the use of prepared foods, feel free to fashion your own dressing. Heck, grow, smoke and can your own chipotles... :hmmm:

I've also developed a Caribbean version of this marinade that uses coconut milk, ginger and scotch bonnets. Any of these marinades also do wonders for skewared grilled shrimp.

=Mark

Somebody noted that the rainbow jello mold was actually in the correct rendition of a rainbow, from violet to red. There might have been ultraviolet & infrared layers, but since these fall outside the realm of human vision they could not be seen... :laugh:

=Mark

Somebody noted that the rainbow jello mold was actually in the correct rendition of a rainbow, from violet to red.  There might have been ultraviolet &  infrared layers, but since these fall outside the realm of human vision they could not be seen...  :laugh:

Good Ol' Roy G Biv!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Yes, I made sure Rachel did it in the correct order of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yes, I made sure Rachel did it in the correct order of the electromagnetic spectrum.

The radio layer was interfering with my car stereo.

=Mark

Um, sorry to out-geek you, Jason, but that would be the visual spectrum.

Stick to law Dean.

The visual spectrum is a part of the electomagnetic spectrum, so Jason was right. more

There were electromagnets in the Jell-O mold?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I just got home about a half hour ago and I'm very glad I didn't try to make the trip last night. I had a great time meeting you all and wish I didn't live so far away. Many thanks to our hosts and all of those who helped organize things.

I think it was one of my ABTs that did Jason's stomach in. He was the only one who complained about them being too hot.

The food was exceptional and I was sad to see so much thrown out. My biggest regret was being too full to sample any of the cheese. I thought about buying some unsampled, but decided I was too full to even think about food or make any decisions about what to buy. If we do this again next year, I will attack the cheese first.

Time to go feed my starter.

Jim

What, you didnt see the Gamma Ray and FM radio jello layers?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host