• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

One last thought: maybe we should make a t-shirt with a picture of Rachel's Jello mold.  It was beautiful beyond belief and should be memorialized.

i was fascinated by this thing. i watched people cut it, as watching people cut is was even more fascinating. although i was afraid to eat it. although i wasn't afraid to drink some of sir-herb-alot's Jolly Rancher infused vodka. :blink:

One last thought: maybe we should make a t-shirt with a picture of Rachel's Jello mold.  It was beautiful beyond belief and should be memorialized.

i'm sooooo envious of everybody who could make it! pictures, people, pictures! the pig and the jello, and everything else. and everybody eating, too! can't wait. and hope there will be another gathering soon.

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

Pictures please.

It sounds like you guys had fun. I'm jealous. :sad:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

i was fascinated by this thing. i watched people cut it, as watching people cut is was even more fascinating. although i was afraid to eat it. although i wasn't afraid to drink some of sir-herb-alot's Jolly Rancher infused vodka. :blink:

Fascinating is absolutely the right word.

What vodka? :shock: Oh well, it's probably just as well I stuck to beer.

Don't be jealous, bloviatrix. This is going to have to be more than a one-shot event. Next time you can bring the kosher pig.

Don't be jealous, bloviatrix.  This is going to have to be more than a one-shot event.  Next time you can bring the kosher pig.

:laugh::laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Donna and I had a delightful afternoon, and would like to thank our gracious hosts and the event organizers. It was great to meet so many friendly people, and share all the fabulous food, especially the pig. The outstanding cheese and bread that we took home made a perfect snack after the drive home. It was a perfect day.

Sam and Bergerka,

Thanks for being perfectly pleasant and interesting travel companions.

--Joe

The pictures are coming.

Edit: We were among the last to leave, at around 6:45. Then we had the drive home, 8:15. Then we had to wait for dumpling to retrieve her purse at our house (Jason worked on pics while we waited). Then we drove Elyse home. Then we stopped for a quick bite at a Cuban-Chinese place (Jason actually didn't eat that much at the potluck. He wasn't feeling well earlier in the day and he spent much of his time at the farm socializing and taking photos. So he was hungry.) We got home about 15 minutes ago. I'm sure the pics will be up some time before midnight.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

The pictures are coming.

Edit: We were among the last to leave, at around 6:45. Then we had the drive home, 8:15. Then we had to wait for dumpling to retrieve her purse at our house (Jason worked on pics while we waited). Then we drove Elyse home. Then we stopped for a quick bite at a Cuban-Chinese place (Jason actually didn't eat that much at the potluck. He wasn't feeling well earlier in the day and he spent much of his time at the farm socializing and taking photos. So he was hungry.) We got home about 15 minutes ago. I'm sure the pics will be up some time before midnight.

yeah, but what's the fucking hold-up?

Pictures from the eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck

Note: The images here have been compressed to save bandwidth and to optimize load time. If you want to see the original full sized images, click here for the album on imagestation. Do not copy the imagestation images into eGullet. If you want to quote a picture, please use the version in this post. Thank you.

Pictures by Jason Perlow

Text by Rachel Perlow

The Sites

On the way to the potluck, you pass this great stand selling carved wooden statues...

njpigbbq-bear.jpg

This is the Bear that Jason wants ($4000 :shock: )

njpigbbq-bearwave.jpg

This is the Waving Bear that Rachel wants ($1200, and cuter!)

njpigbbq-bobobread.jpg

Bread for Sale at Bobolink

njpigbbq-cheese.jpg

Cheese for Sale at Bobolink

The People

njpigbbq-jonnina.jpg

Jonathan and Nina White, our gracious hosts

njpigbbq-alanzkid.jpg

Alan Z's son, Josh, juggles for our entertainment.

njpigbbq-dumpling.jpg

Dumpling on the trampoline! (I missed that) :laugh:

njpigbbq-finkchicken.jpg

Fink and some of the Chickens ("I'm gonna eat you little chickee...")

njpigbbq-fatguy.jpg

Self Explanatory

njpigbbq-lowell.jpg

Lowell Saferstein looks dapper in his eGullet gear. Order yours now!

njpigbbq-fink1.jpg

Fink and Sarah enjoy a beer

njpigbbq-gathering1.jpg

Lots o'pig eaters

njpigbbq-tommyhoward.jpg

Tommy and Howard88 seem to be having fun.

njpigbbq-herbacidal.jpg

Herb enjoying a sangria as Elyse wonders "where oh where shall I put all my cookies?"

njpigbbq-jcmcgrath.jpg

jmcgrath heats up his ABT's

njpigbbq-fink2.jpg

Fink, oh so gingerly, placing some pig on Gary's plate

njpigbbq-cornbread.jpg

pnapoli (I think) with cornbread

njpigbbq-jsibley.jpg

Jonathan Sibley and his Pan Roasted Corn

njpigbbq-slkinsey.jpg

Does our new NY moderator like the pork?

njpigbbq-tents.jpg

The tents brought welcome shade on this surprisingly warm day.

The Savory

njpigbbq-pig.jpg

Fink's Funky Roasted Pig, contains pork

njpigbbq-mousakka.jpg

KatieLoeb's Moussaka

njpigbbq-bakedbeans.jpg

Sarah's Baked Beans (HscottK helped)

njpigbbq-greens.jpg

Double 0's Collard Greens

njpigbbq-maccheese2.jpg

Jonathan White's take on Mac & Cheese, made with Bobolink's own

njpigbbq-dumpling2.jpg

Dumpling's Dumplings

njpigbbq-samosa.jpg

johnh91011's Veddy veddy good Samosas

njpigbbq-samosa2.jpg

I didn't get any. :sad:

njpigbbq-maccheese1.jpg

Double 0's Mac & Cheese. Mmm Velveeta-y. :biggrin:

njpigbbq-coleslaw.jpg

Rosie's Health Salad

njpigbbq-roastveggies.jpg

Some of sabg's grilled vegetables

njpigbbq-polenta.jpg

Rich Pawlak's Sundried Tomato Polenta Pizza

njpigbbq-salads2.jpg

Fruit Salad and Green Salads

njpigbbq-side1.jpg

Suzanne F's Potato Salad

The Sweet

njpigbbq-desserts.jpg

Dessert Table #1 (there were two)

njpigbbq-appletart.jpg

Dumpling's Apple Tart Tatin

njpigbbq-bananapudding.jpg

Rachel's Banana Pudding

njpigbbq-brownies.jpg

Lauren or Johnjohn's Brownies

njpigbbq-choccake.jpg

Liz Johnson's Dr. Pepper Cake

njpigbbq-cookiesbaklava.jpg

jhlurie's store bought Baklava (but from a really great store!)

Chocolate Cookies with White Chips (who made these?)

njpigbbq-jello.jpg

Rachel's Rainbow Jello Mold <-- click for instructions

njpigbbq-pecanpie.jpg

Slkinsey's Bourbon Pecan Pie

njpigbbq-pie.jpg

Dumpling's Strawberry Pie

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My first in-person eGullet event and it was SO much fun. How great to be able to put faces with the names...and to feast on all the goodies!

Next time I will make something from scratch...going to start thinking about it NOW... :raz:

Rosie, so great to finally meet you after all these years! And Rachel - Nancy and I really enjoyed meeting and chatting with you!

Everyone was so warm and friendly. What a great crowd!

And special thanks to Curdnerd and his family!!

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Rachel, how the hell did you get home before me?

I want to add that today was indeed fabulous. So nice to meet everyone, and what great food. I wish I had taken more home. :sad: There was nothing on my plate that wasn't absolutely delicious.

Again, if anyone wants starter, PM me, and I can bring it to Bloomfield, or we can meet in the city. Or I guess you can put it on the Bloomfield thread.

Thank you johnjohn for the ride out, and Rachel and Jason for the ride in, and jmcgrath for the lovely bacon! :smile:

Jonathan and Nina, what a beautiful place you have, and how sweet of you to let us come today. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :wub:

P.S. I hope your neighbor and dogs are okay!

Jason, I can't get most of the pictures. :sad:

You can see them one by one selectively at this url:

http://www.egullet.com/pics/

Scroll down to the pictures labelled "njpigbbq- whatever" and click on each one at a time.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

FG, you couldn't find BBQ appropriate pants? I was hoping to see something with pigs on them. :laugh:

Rachel - that mold is stunning. How long did it take you to put together? Did it ever get eaten, or were people afraid to destroy it?

Love the sign on the pig. :biggrin: