• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

Sunday has become iffy for me.  I jammed my foot and have trouble walking.  It's getting better and hopefully by Sunday I'll be okay. The amazing part is that I don't remember doing it!

Hi Mott, We don't have you on the list, nor your potluck contribution...but please keep us updated, the more the merrier!

For everyone following along at home, the count is now 74 people.

I forgot to mention, I also grabbed a bag of like a dozen medium-size aluminum-foil food-service trays, which can be used to serve and contain various food items if there's a shortage of bowls, platters, whatever.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

did we sort out the water issue? i know they have well water there, but i can't help but think that people will have to fill up containers and carry them across a field or something. and even if that's not a bad thing, we'll still need containers. maybe people who are going to drink water could bring a bottle and then fill it as necessary? i know i am, so this is more a heads up for those who haven't thought about it.

Think of the property like this:

B ... L

slope x F

A H C |D|

============= Road

........ |E| .................

A is Bobolink's driveway

H is curdnerd's house

C is the lawn where we'll be

D is eGullet's driveway and the main parking lot

E is the parking lot across the way with a steeper driveway (for SUVs please)

B is the Barn

L is the Dairy building (Bathroom, aka L for Lavatory)

F is another field - I think this would be a good area for the kids to play

Date, Time, Location: Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 1:30 PM. Bobolink Dairy, Vernon, NJ <-- Click link for directions. Look for eGullet people/signs for parking directions when there.

Current RSVP list:

Alanz + Lauren & Joshua - enigmatic pasta (3), Josh will help entertain the kiddies with his juggling & balloon animals! :biggrin:

Curdnerd & family - mac & cheese + supplying the location, that's enough (Cheese Shop will be open for the first hour or so of the event) (5)

Dbrociner + wife, Stephanie, and daughter Sophia - sweet potato casserole and garbage bags (3)

docsconz + wife & kids - home-made fresh apple-cider (5)

Double 0 + family - collards and maybe a tray of mac & cheese* (*see Curdnerd's post about mac & cheese) (4)

dumpling - non-alcoholic drinks and/or dumplings and/or wicked good blueberry (or other fruit) PIE (1)

Elyse - bringing pecan pie and pecanless pies (1) also, taking orders for cookies, pies & Pao de Quejo via PM, Mmm, Pao de Quejo

Fat Guy & Ellen - rolls & misc. condiments (2)

Fink - bringing the cooked pig(s) at the reduced price of $4 per person, also bringing sweet tea and apple cobbler (1)

herbacidal - bags, extra plates & forks & stuff, Sarcone's bread, infused vodka, chinese dumplings (2-4?**)

hillbill - (offering rides from Staten Island/Ferry) - (maybe 1?**)

howard88 - Cole Slaw (3)

Hscottk + wife - baked beans (2)

Jason & Rachel Perlow - jello mold, name tags, ice, homemade sorbets/ices, banana pudding (2)

jhlurie - baklava, parking czar (1)

jmcgrath - tent canopy, stuffed jalepenos, aka ABTs, water jug (1)

jogoode - since he's still a maybe he'll bring some snacky type things (probably 1)

johnh91011 - samosas, an Indian appetizer (2)

johnjohn - brownies (1) (offering rides from NYC or Long Island to Elyse...)

Jonathan Sibley (1)

JosephB & Donna, (sans puppy) - savory pastries (2)

KatieLoeb - Moussaka (1)

Kim WB + guest - dessert from Pierre at Wegmans and a case of bottled water (2) - Makin' parking signs

Lisa1349 + guest - PA Wine, Mint Juleps and Victory Beer from Downington, PA (2)

Liz Johnson + husband + guests w/baby - Dr. Pepper Cake, a table (yes, bring a table)(4.5)

=Mark - ice, marinated grilled portobella mushrooms, Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce, table & chairs (1)

mottmott - vegetable tart, probably pissaladiere (1)

pnapoli + guest - cornbread & chili (2)

pooh + husband - non-alcholic beverages (2)

Randi + friend - fresh fruit and a dip for it (2)

Rich Pawlak + guest - beer, sun dried polenta pizza (2)

rlibkind (Bob & Jean Sue) - baked beans (with bacon), 6 ft table (2)

RockADS21 + Mrs. Rock - Sangria (2)

Rosie & Lowell - napkins, health salad (I think that's some kind of cole slaw) (2)

sabg - grilled vegtables, chairs, table (3)

Slkinsey + bergerka - Ginger Snaps, derby-style bourbon pecan pie (2)

South Jersey Epicurean (Gary Kritz) - (making the pastichio/moussaka with Katie Loeb) (1)

Suzanne and HWOE - Indian chaat style potato salad, pickles (2)

Tommy & the Mrs. - non-food stuffs (ice, paper plates, cutlery , napkins, cups, garbage bags) (2)

wawairis - Green Salad and Lemonade (1)

Right now we're at 74, according to Kim.

**Please confirm your numbers, especially if there's a question mark next to your entry above.

To Summarize Curdnerd's post/rules:

• 1. No Dogs.
    2. Making mac & cheese.
    3. Kids Welcome - someone needs to organize some kid activities. Update: Dumpling volunteereed to be Camp Counselor, but parents should still supervise their children. (we're up to 9 kids)
    4. We're going to be using lots of small tents.
    5. The bread-and-cheese shop will be open until at least 5 PM, and people can leave orders in the bakehouse (68F) or ripening room (55F) to keep it cold.
    6. Parking Czar - this person should plan to arrive early. Update: jhlurie and =Mark are being shanghaied into this position with me and Jason. Kim WB will organize the tables & food set up after people have parked.

Other notes:

• 1. KP Duty - We must completely clean up after ourselves. Everyone bring an extra bag or two and leave with some garbage, please.
    2. Tents (not camping tents, party tents), tables & chairs -- the more the merrier.
    3. The pig is $4 per person (kids count too)
    4. Remember to check the RSVP list for what you offered to bring and confirm with Kim WB via PM.
    5. Label your food: Please label your food if it contains fish or meat of any kind (I should say if it does not obviously contain meat. I don't think the Pig needs to be labeled, but if the collard greens or baked beans have meat, that should be labeled. A label just saying what your dish is would be nice too.
    6. Pray for no rain. If you don't, you are volunteering to sweep out the barn!
    7. Ice:
i don't know how many people are bringing coolers, but i'm sure if everyone just threw a couple of bags of ice in, we'll be fine.
unless there's a need for ice that i'm not thinking of.
Excellent suggestion, tommy. If you are bringing your food in a cooler, take note of above.

8. Recipes - If everyone will please post their recipes on recipeGullet that would be great. Also, if your food contains any common allergens, please bring a tag (like a table tent maybe?) to label your food. Thanks.

9. Leftovers - We're not leaving any for Curdnerd unless he specifically asks for something on the day. So, if you're the type of person who may wish to bring home leftovers of others' food, bring some plastic containers so everyone can take their own (real) dishes home. The disposable Glad® or Ziploc® containers are great.

10. Bring a Serving Implement for your dish.

11. Try to remember to bring a roll of TP per carload of people.

Current Menu:

The menu, so far.*

• Beverages
    home-made fresh apple-cider
    Lemonade
    Well Water
    BYOB***
    PA Wine, Mint Juleps and Victory Beer
    herbacidal-infused vodka
    Sangria
    Sweet Tea
    Beer
    Other non-alcoholic beverages
    Appetizers
    Dumplings (dumpling)
    chinese dumplings (herbacidal) - the more dumplings the merrier!
    fresh fruit and a dip for it (or is this a dessert?)
    samosas, an Indian appetizer
    stuffed jalepenos, aka ABTs
    pissaladiere
    sun dried polenta pizza
    savory pastries
    Mains
    ROASTED/SMOKED PIG - that is the point of this whole thing, right?)
    Moussaka
    Chili
    Sides
    Starchy
    enigmatic pasta
    mac & cheese
    sweet potato casserole
    baked beans (2 people are bringing baked beans)
    Indian chaat style potato salad
    corn bread
    Sarcone's bread
    Veggie
    Collard Greens
    Cole Slaw
    marinated grilled portobella mushrooms
    health salad
    Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce
    grilled vegtables (peppers, zucc, corn etc - sabq)
    Green Salad
    Half sour pickles
    Desserts
    Apple Cobbler
    Baklava
    Banana Pudding
    blueberry PIE
    pecan pie
    homemade sorbets/ices
    brownies
    something chocolate from Pierre at Wegmans
    Dr. Pepper Cake
    Ginger Snaps
    derby-style bourbon pecan pie
    jello mold & cool whip
    Misc (aka the more the merrier (TMTM))
    Dry goods
    tables, chairs (BYOC), tents
    ice

* If what you offered to bring isn't on the list, please post (don't PM) me with edits.

*** A reminder about BYO: This is a BYO event. Bring the beverage of your choice for your consumption...and perhaps a bit extra for others to sample if you choose. If you have signed up to contribute a beverage for the potluck, however, be sure to bring enough for the group.

hillbill, Jonathan Sibley, Lisa 1349: Please PM Kim WB to confirm your attendance, # of guests, and that you are bringing the dish you specified.

That lovely pic does not show that just to the right is the hen house, home to my arch enemy, Chanticleer the rooster. Where will he be on Sunday? Might end up in a stew if he doesn't watch it...

Lisa

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Think of the property like this:

B ... L

slope x F

........... P...

A H C |D|

============= Road

......... |E| .................

A is Bobolink's driveway

H is curdnerd's house

C is the lawn where we'll be

D is eGullet's driveway and the main parking lot

E is the parking lot across the way with a steeper driveway (for SUVs please)

B is the Barn

L is the Dairy building (Bathroom, aka L for Lavatory)

F is another field - I think this would be a good area for the kids to play

Ah yes, the chicken coup. That would be, um, the P for Poultry in the amended "map" above.

Okay, I have a request.  Or another one... I'm getting a ride out, but think I will need a ride home later in the evening.  Will anyone have room on the way home to NYC or thereabouts?

We could drop you off at the ferry. Or, perhaps Fat Guy could return you in the Momo-mobile?

We have plenty of space, but will have to leave on the early side. Anybody who wants a ride back to NYC at around 4pm can be dropped off anywhere on 96th Street between the West Side Highway and Madison Avenue.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I just checked the capacity of my water jug. It is 5 gallons.

I will be bringing my Weber kettle to cook the ABTs that I just finished making. The ABTs cook quickly, just need to crisp the bacon topping, so it will be available for sharing.

Jim

I just checked the capacity of my water jug.  It is 5 gallons. 

I will be bringing my Weber kettle to cook the ABTs that I just finished making.  The ABTs cook quickly, just need to crisp the bacon topping, so it will be available for sharing.

Jim

Good, maybe I can use it to grill my shrooms?

=M

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

FYI - curdnerd does have a grill for us to use, so I don't think it is necessary for you to bring yours, unless you really want to.

It is already packed, and will be more of a hassle to unpack it than to bring it and not use it.

Jim

Okay, I have a request.  Or another one... I'm getting a ride out, but think I will need a ride home later in the evening.  Will anyone have room on the way home to NYC or thereabouts?

We could drop you off at the ferry. Or, perhaps Fat Guy could return you in the Momo-mobile?

Are you close to the GWB? I'd rather walk across the bridge if possible. So, no one's interested in the pao de queijo? No cooler then.

I hope everyone likes the Moussaka. There's enough for a small Third World nation cooling in Gary's fridge as I type. :blink: We made two full large disposable pans. It's a little lacking in height because the pans are so large (only ones they had with LIDS) but I did sneak a corner out of one to try it and it's quite tasty, if I do say so myself. Hey - I couldn't bring it if it wasn't good enough! This is a crowd with high standards! :biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

great looking day today.

It's actually shaping up to be the nicest day of the year. Nor can I think of a better group of people to spend it with, except for maybe the same group minus Slkinsey. :laugh::raz: