• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

Date, Time, Location: Sunday, September 21, 2003 at 1:30 PM. Bobolink Dairy, Vernon, NJ <-- Click link for directions. Look for eGullet people/signs for parking directions when there.

Current RSVP list:

Alanz + Lauren & Joshua - enigmatic pasta (3), Josh will help entertain the kiddies with his juggling & balloon animals! :biggrin:

Curdnerd & family - mac & cheese + supplying the location, that's enough (Cheese Shop will be open for the first hour or so of the event) (5)

Dbrociner + wife, Stephanie, and daughter Sophia - sweet potato casserole and garbage bags (3)

docsconz + wife & kids - home-made fresh apple-cider (5)

Double 0 + family - collards and maybe a tray of mac & cheese* (*see Curdnerd's post about mac & cheese) (4)

dumpling - non-alcoholic drinks and/or dumplings and/or wicked good blueberry PIE (1)

Elyse - bringing pecan pie (1) also, taking orders for cookies, pies & Pao de Quejo via PM, Mmm, Pao de Quejo

Fat Guy & Ellen (2)

Fink - bringing the cooked pig(s) at the reduced price of $4 per person, also bringing sweet tea and apple cobbler (2?)

herbacidal - bags, extra plates & forks & stuff, Sarcone's bread, infused vodka, chinese dumplings (2-4?**)

hillbill - (offering rides from Staten Island/Ferry) - (maybe 1?**)

howard88 - Cole Slaw (3)

Hscottk + wife - baked beans (2)

Jason & Rachel Perlow - jello mold, name tags, ice, homemade sorbets/ices, banana pudding (2)

jhlurie - baklava, parking czar (1)

jmcgrath - tent canopy, stuffed jalepenos, aka ABTs (1?**)

jogoode - since he's still a maybe he'll bring some snacky type things (probably 1)

johnh91011 - samosas, an Indian appetizer (2)

johnjohn - brownies (1) (offering rides from NYC or Long Island to Elyse...)

Jonathan Sibley (1)

JosephB & Donna, (sans puppy) - corn and tomato savory pastry (2)

KatieLoeb - Pastitsio (1)

Kim WB + guest - dessert from Pierre at Wegmans and a case of bottled water (2) - Makin' parking signs

Lisa1349 + guest - PA Wine, Mint Juleps and Victory Beer from Downington, PA (2)

Liz Johnson + husband + guests w/baby - Dr. Pepper Cake, a table (yes, bring a table)(4.5)

=Mark - ice, marinated grilled portobella mushrooms, Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce, table & chairs (1)

mottmott - vegetable tart, probably pissaladiere (1)

pnapoli + guest - cornbread & chili (2)

pooh + husband - non-alcholic beverages (2)

Randi + friend - fresh fruit and a dip for it (2)

Rich Pawlak - beer (1)

rlibkind (Bob & Jean Sue) - baked beans (2)

RockADS21 + Mrs. Rock - Sangria (2)

Rosie & Lowell - napkins, health salad (I think that's some kind of cole slaw) (2)

sabg - grilled vegtables, chairs, table (3)

Slkinsey + bergerka - Ginger Snaps, derby-style bourbon pecan pie (2)

SobaAddict70 - spicy marinated olives, French kisses, Oven roasted tomatoes, Wilted greens (1)

South Jersey Epicurean (Gary Kritz) - (making the pastichio/moussaka with Katie Loeb) (1)

Suzanne and HWOE - Indian chaat style potato salad, pickles (2)

Tommy & the Mrs. - non-food stuffs (ice, paper plates, cutlery , napkins, cups, garbage bags) (2)

wawairis - Green Salad and Lemonade (1?**)

Right now we're at 76-80 approximately.

**Please confirm your numbers, especially if there's a question mark next to your entry above.

To Summarize Curdnerd's post/rules:

• 1. No Dogs.
    2. Making mac & cheese.
    3. Kids Welcome - someone needs to organize some kid activities. Update: Dumpling volunteereed to be Camp Counselor, but parents should still supervise their children. (we're up to 9 kids)
    4. We're going to be using lots of small tents.
    5. The bread-and-cheese shop will be open until at least 5 PM, and people can leave orders in the bakehouse (68F) or ripening room (55F) to keep it cold.
    6. Parking Czar - this person should plan to arrive early. Update: jhlurie and =Mark are being shanghaied into this position with me and Jason. Kim WB will organize the tables & food set up after people have parked.

Other notes:

• 1. KP Duty - We must completely clean up after ourselves. Everyone bring an extra bag or two and leave with some garbage, please.
    2. Tents (not camping tents, party tents), tables & chairs -- the more the merrier.
    3. The pig is $4 per person (kids count too)
    4. Remember to check the RSVP list for what you offered to bring and confirm with Kim WB via PM.
    5. Label your food: Please label your food if it contains fish or meat of any kind (I should say if it does not obviously contain meat. I don't think the Pig needs to be labeled, but if the collard greens or baked beans have meat, that should be labeled. A label just saying what your dish is would be nice too.
    6. Pray for no rain. If you don't, you are volunteering to sweep out the barn!
    7. Ice:
i don't know how many people are bringing coolers, but i'm sure if everyone just threw a couple of bags of ice in, we'll be fine.
unless there's a need for ice that i'm not thinking of.
Excellent suggestion, tommy. If you are bringing your food in a cooler, take note of above.

8. Recipes - If everyone will please post their recipes on recipeGullet that would be great. Also, if your food contains any common allergens, please bring a tag (like a table tent maybe?) to label your food. Thanks.

9. Leftovers - We're not leaving any for Curdnerd unless he specifically asks for something on the day. So, if you're the type of person who may wish to bring home leftovers of others' food, bring some plastic containers so everyone can take their own (real) dishes home. The disposable Glad® or Ziploc® containers are great.

Current Menu:

The menu, so far.*

• Beverages
    home-made fresh apple-cider
    Lemonade
    Well Water
    BYOB***
    PA Wine, Mint Juleps and Victory Beer
    herbacidal-infused vodka
    Sangria
    Sweet Tea
    Beer
    Other non-alcoholic beverages
    Appetizers
    Dumplings (dumpling)
    chinese dumplings (herbacidal) - the more dumplings the merrier!
    fresh fruit and a dip for it (or is this a dessert?)
    marinated olives
    French Kisses (dates & foie gras???)
    samosas, an Indian appetizer
    stuffed jalepenos, aka ABTs
    pissaladiere
    Mains
    ROASTED/SMOKED PIG - that is the point of this whole thing, right?)
    Pastitsio
    Chili
    Sides
    Starchy
    enigmatic pasta
    mac & cheese
    sweet potato casserole
    baked beans (2 people are bringing baked beans)
    corn and tomato savory pastry
    Indian chaat style potato salad
    corn bread
    Sarcone's bread
    Veggie
    Collards (Double 0), Wilted Greens (Soba)
    Cole Slaw
    marinated grilled portobella mushrooms
    health salad
    Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce
    Oven roasted tomatoes
    grilled vegtables (peppers, zucc, corn etc - sabq)
    Green Salad
    Half sour pickles
    Desserts
    Apple Cobbler
    Baklava
    Banana Pudding
    blueberry PIE
    pecan pie
    homemade sorbets/ices
    brownies
    something chocolate from Pierre at Wegmans
    Dr. Pepper Cake
    Ginger Snaps
    derby-style bourbon pecan pie
    jello mold & cool whip
    Misc (aka the more the merrier (TMTM))
    Dry goods
    tables, chairs (BYOC), tents
    ice

* If what you offered to bring isn't on the list, please post (don't PM) me with edits.

*** A reminder about BYO: This is a BYO event. Bring the beverage of your choice for your consumption...and perhaps a bit extra for others to sample if you choose. If you have signed up to contribute a beverage for the potluck, however, be sure to bring enough for the group.

Please PM Kim WB to confirm your attendance, # of guests, and that you are bringing the dish you specified.

I don't want to cause any alarm, but this article ran into today's Times:

Police Fatally Shoot Home Intruder (A Large, Furry, Four-Legged One)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Elyse, didn't you promise to make me a blueberry pie? Any fruit pie would be great. Remember, I can't eat pecans.

Not a chance.

I promised you a pecan pie sans pecans. Someone else and I were chatting about blueberry, but not me making it. Who was it? Still want the pecanless pie?

while we're on the subject of elyse's pecan pie, mrs. tommy and i split a little one the other night, and she declared it once again as "excellent" and "really fucking good."  i don't know if it's just in my head, but the "finish" on this thing is very dynamic and complex.

Elyse's pecan pie and her Mayan chocolate (Mexican love) cookies may have commercial potential. It's possible she might be able to construct a small professional business with these two.

For people who haven't tried the pie, it's a slightly gooey, almost mahogany colored, very nutty pie with a brandy finish. The sweetness isn't a refined sugar effect, it's more the effect of a Drambuie, with a range of sensations on the nose and tongue.

PS - did mrs tommy really describe the pie as "really fucking good" or is that your paraphrase of her description?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

It was me with the blueberry pie. But only if I can still secure some decent blueberries. If not, it may become a cherry or strawberry pie.

I will be doing an apple tarte tatin in any event since that should travel well.

while we're on the subject of elyse's pecan pie, mrs. tommy and i split a little one the other night, and she declared it once again as "excellent" and "really fucking good."  i don't know if it's just in my head, but the "finish" on this thing is very dynamic and complex.

I like mrs. tommy. :wub:

Elyse's pecan pie and her Mayan chocolate (Mexican love) cookies may have commercial potential. It's possible she might be able to construct a small professional business with these two.

For people who haven't tried the pie, it's a slightly gooey, almost mahogany colored, very nutty pie with a brandy finish. The sweetness isn't a refined sugar effect, it's more the effect of a Drambuie, with a range of sensations on the nose and tongue.

PS - did mrs tommy really describe the pie as "really fucking good" or is that your paraphrase of her description?

I don't know who's a better salesman for my baked goods - Paul, or Rachel and Jason. Thanks for the tireless, kind words.

dumpling, any fruit pie you bring will be delicious. I've never had a strawberry pie....

sadly, cannot afford to rent a car this weekend, public transportation not practical due to hours and don't know anyone to ask for a ride. I hope that you guys have a great time and will post extensively afterwards--with as many indecent closeups of food as possible!!!!! you must, really.

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

i won't be bringing any sarcone's bread.

been told that bread is already readily available.

still on the hook for dumplings, 2 kinds.

also infused vodka.

evidently, tommy's bringing more than enough dry goods for the state of NJ.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Actually, I think Gary and I are making Moussaka instead of pastitzio. He's doing Atkins and I just can't fathom doing all that work and not even being able to taste the end result. So no pasta in the eggplant dish. We'll be baking a couple of foil pans on Saturday afternoon. Will only need to be reheated slightly since by the time it arrives it will probably have warmed to ambient temperature.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

evidently, tommy's bringing more than enough dry goods for the state of NJ.

:hmmm:

well, i'm going to bring as much as i think will be enough, plus a little more. however, if people want to grab that package of cups or plates from their garage before heading out, we can absolutely ensure that we'll be OK. i think i need to get over to BJ's warehouse soon. :biggrin:

Or sheep, for those who don't eat duck.

Tommy, where did you see that?  I can't find the announcement; but then you're a systems person and I'm just a user.  In any case, it should be writ large so that everyone knows, don'tcha think?

It's on the right side of the Daily Gullet, in black text.