• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

ok, potluck virgin here. how much of anything--solid and liquid? there are two of us, no meat eaters so we can bring sth veg.

what's the final cost per person?

why, oh why, does the public transit suck so badly? 2 hours on the bus plus Vernon Taxi Service... the foliage better be good! and the last bus goes back around 4:30pm--we'd have to leave around 4pm, possibly missing the cleanup... any thoughts on this??

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

I'm making a Jello mold! :duck:

No making fun, it is a really good one.

If it's good, I wouldn't blow it up with Tommy's firecrackers.

Rachel, I can do the kids games. We run different really fun games at the school that I instruct at and I may be able to bring some stuff.

Rachel, I can do the kids games. We run different really fun games at the school that I instruct at and I may be able to bring some stuff.

You could teach them basic Kung Fu, for lack of anything else.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

You could teach them basic Kung Fu, for lack of anything else.

I'll have them holding a position on one leg with their arms straight out in front holding Rachel's jello molds(to test how light and airy the jello molds are). :unsure:

I'm trying to decide between the Rainbow Ribbon Mold and the Crown Jewel Dessert. I've made both before and plan to do them using a bundt pan as the mold. Topped, of course, with genuine Cool Whip Topping.

madziast, I don't think there'll be much in the way of fall folliage by that date. The only cost was $4 pp for the pig, which is going directly to Fink. Other than that, just bring something for the potluck.

Things a vegetarian/kosher person could eat at the PigPotluck:

stuffed jalepenos, aka ABTs (I think these are stuffed with cheese)

Unfortunately, they come wrapped in a slice of bacon. I'll do some without the bacon if there is any interest. These need to be made in advance and just finished on the grill. Please let me know.

Jim

Um, Rachel, you don't really want our opinions of those 2 Jello molds, do you? :unsure::unsure::laugh:

As for foods suitable for folks who keep kosher: the "potato salad of mysterious ethnicity" will probably be an Indian-style chaat, no animal products whatsoever. And I think I keep forgetting to mention that I will also bring the remainder -- almost the whole gallon -- of FG's "New Half Sours."

Unfortunately, they come wrapped in a slice of bacon. I'll do some without the bacon if there is any interest. These need to be made in advance and just finished on the grill. Please let me know.

Jim

You can unload the extra bacon on me, please.

Jim

You can unload the extra bacon on me, please.

OK, it's pretty nice bacon from Green Mountain Smokehouse in Windsor, VT.

Jim

Jim

definitely going to try these, sans bacon!

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

why, oh why, does the public transit suck so badly? 2 hours on the bus plus Vernon Taxi Service... the foliage better be good!  and the last bus goes back around 4:30pm--we'd have to leave around 4pm, possibly missing the cleanup... any thoughts on this??

Ask for a ride...?

Please don't make any recipe changes on my behalf. In the event that I make it, I won't be eating - although I'm sure I'll be salivating at all the wonderful offerings.

Furthermore, I'll be probably get there late (I'm trying to bribe my husband with a hike along the Appalacian Mountain trail which runs through a park near-by).

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

it figures that things would pick up at work two weeks before my vacation. :angry:

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able ot make the potluck. I might be required to come in over the weekend and that would just about suck.

Unfortunately I won't know until towards the end of next week, so more gory details TBA.

Soba

Hello. I am officialy in charge of confirming attendees, and coming up with a final count.

Please PM to confirm your attendance, # of guests, and that you are bringing the dish you specified.

At the end of the week, anyone who has not PM'd me will be contacted via e-mail or PM...so confirming to me now in a PM will save me some work down the road.

I am taking this job seriously. I am not even smiling as I type this. Not even a little grin. Really Please. Make my life just a smidgen easier, PM me today with your info!

I just copied this from the eGci thread.

I started a starter last week, and will have much to give away at the NJ potluck in a couple of weeks, if anyone wants some (or meet me here in NYC). I used organic red grapes as the yeast source, water and flour, and that's it. PM me if you want some in a couple of weeks when it's stronger.