• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

The wife and I will attend.

How are we doing on dishes? Should we look toward a side dish (i.e., eggplant casserole), or would we do better with dessert (custard)?

Edited to add.....

Edited by hscottk (log)

Rachel,

Lauren and I and Joshua will be able to attend.

Any suggestions as to what we should bring?

The coleslaw is a simple one for us.... and since Fink is doing pig, I won't do pulled pork.

Perhaps... just perhaps... I can be convinced to corn and smoke a brisket for the event.

Or maybe make some bulgoki/kalbi...

Decisions decisions

Is someone counting heads here?

Jonathan & Nina White, cheesemakers/bakers

mailto:Jonathan@cowsoutside.com

Bobolink Dairy & Bakeyard

Grass-fed raw milk cheese

Wood-fired rustic breads

Located between Warwick, NY & Vernon, NJ

Our Webpage

Current RSVP list:

Alanz + Lauren & Joshua (3)

Andrew Fenton & the Mrs. - Banana Pudding (2)

Curdnerd & family - supplying the location, that's enough (unless you'd like us to sample some of your bread & cheese ) (3?)

Dbrociner + wife, Stephanie, and our daughter Sophia - sweet potato casserole and garbage bags (3)

Double 0 + family (4)

Elyse (wants a ride with the Shaw-Shapiros) - bringing pie (1)

Fat Guy & Ellen (2)

Fink - bringing the cooked pig(s) at the reduced price of $4 per person (1?)

herbacidal (1)

howard88 - Cole Slaw (2)

Hscottk + wife (2)

Jason & Rachel Perlow - homemade sorbets/ices, maybe ice cream (2)

jogoode - maybe (1?)

JosephB & Donna (& pup? Are we bringing our dogs now?*) (2)

KatieLoeb - plus others from the Philly area (1)

Kim WB + guest - dessert from Pierre at Wegmans :) (2)

Lisa1349 (1)

LReda & Sue & children (2-6?)

=Mark (1)

NewYorkTexan - maybe (1)

pnapoli (1)

Randi + friend (2)

rlibkind (Bob & Jean Sue) - baked beans (2)

RockADS21 + Mrs. Rock (2)

Rosie & Lowell - health salad (I think that's some kind of cole slaw) (2)

Slkinsey + bergerka - Ginger Snaps (needs a ride from NYC) (2)

SobaAddict70 - mostarda or a fruit chutney is in order, to go along with some of curdnerd's cheese (1)

Suzanne and HWOE; potato salad of mysterious ethnicity (2)

Suzilightening - since she's planning on arriving late, she should probably bring a dessert (how late are you planning on arriving?) (1)

Tommy & the Mrs. - non-food stuffs (ice, paper plates, forks etc, napkins, cups) (2)

Right now we're at 54-58 approximately. Please confirm your numbers, especially if there's a question park next to your entry above. Also, start thinking about the dish you are planning on bringing and post it, and if you have folding and/or lawn chairs and/or folding tables, I think they may be welcome as well.

Reminder about the facilities provided by Curdnerd:

Please note that we are not in a position to provide much setup/cleanup service, as we're stretched pretty much to the max already. 

We do, however, have lots of outdoor space, an alternate rain space (either in a hayloft or under a 10X20 ez-up tent, parking, water, one bathroom, a 55 degree walk-in, a 35 degree reach-in, 2 commercial bbq grills, some tables, about 10 chairs, etc.

On  a Sunday, the oven will be at about 400-450F after 1 PM, and it measures 42X48 inside, which can probably cook off a lot of side dishes.

Curdnerd - there was a question above about dogs, whether or not they are welcome, please address this, thanks. What is the people capacity of the site?

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Rachel, please add a guest to my name...also, I have 3 e-z up tents that I can bring if the weather is iffy.

I will be away for the two days preceeding this event, so I will bring a dessert. Purchased... something pretty from my friend Pierre at Wegman's . I know this is not in the spirit of the event, but its the best I'll be able to do.

No idea what slkinsey plans on bringing, but I'm making ginger snaps! GINGER SNAPS FOR EVERYONE!

K<---otherwise known as "slkinsey's girlfriend," although I prefer "slkinsey's reason for existing." "Her royal highness" works too.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

good news:

I fly out to SF, September 26, so count me in (this is subject of course to my work schedule. I'm praying that I'm not busy in the weeks leading up to that week. :unsure: )

as for what I'm bringing, I think either some mostarda or a fruit chutney is in order, to go along with some of curdnerd's cheese. El Gordo, if you have room in the Gordo-mobile, I'd appreciate it if you'd include me too. :cool:

Soba

I can get ice. Was also thinking of doing baked beans; they are legally required at a pig pickin.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Mark, rlibkind already claimed baked beans, so unless you are doing something highly unusual, the only other baked beans I want to see are Finks (which are excellent, very meaty). Hey, I know, why don't you make that pasta salad with the chicken & raisins. Haven't had that in ages! :wink: (seriously, I really like it)

~~~

Current RSVP list:

Alanz + Lauren & Joshua - enigmatic pasta (3)

Andrew Fenton & the Mrs. - Banana Pudding (2)

Curdnerd & family - supplying the location, that's enough (unless you'd like us to sample some of your bread & cheese ) (3?)

Dbrociner + wife, Stephanie, and our daughter Sophia - sweet potato casserole and garbage bags (3)

docsconz + wife & kids - home-made fresh apple-cider (5)

Double 0 + family (4)

dumpling - non-alcoholic drinks and/or dumplings and/or wicked good blueberry PIE (1)

Elyse (wants a ride with the Shaw-Shapiros) - bringing pie (1)

Fat Guy & Ellen (2)

Fink - bringing the cooked pig(s) at the reduced price of $4 per person (1?)

herbacidal (1)

howard88 - Cole Slaw (2)

Hscottk + wife (2)

Jason & Rachel Perlow - homemade sorbets/ices, maybe ice cream (2)

jogoode - maybe (1?)

johnjohn - brownies (1) (offering rides from NYC or Long Island)

Jonathan Sibley (1)

JosephB & Donna (& pup? Are we bringing our dogs now?*) - corn and tomato savory pastry (2)

KatieLoeb - plus others from the Philly area (1)

Kim WB + guest - dessert from Pierre at Wegmans :) (2)

Lisa1349 + guest - PA Wine, Mint Juleps and Victory Beer from Downington, PA (2)

Liz Johnson + husband - Dr. Pepper Cake,a table? (2)

LReda & Sue & children (2-6?)

=Mark - ice, marinated grilled portobella mushrooms, table & chairs (1)

NewYorkTexan - maybe (1)

pnapoli + guest (2)

Randi + friend (2)

rlibkind (Bob & Jean Sue) - baked beans (2)

RockADS21 + Mrs. Rock (2)

Rosie & Lowell - health salad (I think that's some kind of cole slaw) (2)

Slkinsey + bergerka - Ginger Snaps (needs a ride from NYC) (2)

SobaAddict70 - mostarda or a fruit chutney is in order, to go along with some of curdnerd's cheese (1)

Suzanne and HWOE; potato salad of mysterious ethnicity (2)

Suzilightening - since she's planning on arriving late, she should probably bring a dessert (how late are you planning on arriving?) (1)

Tommy & the Mrs. - non-food stuffs (ice, paper plates, forks etc, napkins, cups) (2)

Right now we're at 66-70 approximately. Please confirm your numbers, especially if there's a question park next to your entry above. Also, start thinking about the dish you are planning on bringing and post it, and if you have folding and/or lawn chairs and/or folding tables, I think they may be welcome as well.

Reminder about the facilities provided by Curdnerd:

Please note that we are not in a position to provide much setup/cleanup service, as we're stretched pretty much to the max already. 

We do, however, have lots of outdoor space, an alternate rain space (either in a hayloft or under a 10X20 ez-up tent, parking, water, one bathroom, a 55 degree walk-in, a 35 degree reach-in, 2 commercial bbq grills, some tables, about 10 chairs, etc.

On  a Sunday, the oven will be at about 400-450F after 1 PM, and it measures 42X48 inside, which can probably cook off a lot of side dishes.

Curdnerd - there was a question above about dogs, whether or not they are welcome, please address this, thanks. What is the people capacity of the site?

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Mark, rlibkind already claimed baked beans, so unless you are doing something highly unusual, the only other baked beans I want to see are Finks (which are excellent, very meaty). Hey, I know, why don't you make that pasta salad with the chicken & raisins. Haven't had that in ages! :wink: (seriously, I really like it)

Generally I try not to repeat myself at events. Maybe I'll do grilled marinated portabellas...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

If there aren't too many people already, my husband and I would like to come too. If we can get it on top of the car, we have a 12-foot folding table. I'll have to check with him on that though. Otherwise, how about Dr. Pepper Cake? (Chocolate)

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.