• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet NJ Pig-BBQ & Potluck, Sunday, 9/21/03

Fat Guy

Laziness and lack of a backyard prevent me from doing anything about this, not to mention I don't live in NJ, but here's an idea:

We had lunch yesterday at Fink's. In the smoker was a whole hog. Apparently, he'll special-order and smoke a whole hog for catered events. Then, Fink revealed that for $1000 he'll come to your home, set up a pit in your backyard, and do a whole hog on location. It feeds 40 people, so it's $25 a head (check my math). I'm not sure if that includes sides and whatnot, but that could all be done pot-luck anyway, and it could be BYO.

Who wants to host this event, the NY/NJ/CT Metro Area's answer to Varmint's pig pickin'?

Edit: Changed the title from "Proposed eGullet Event" since we've decided on some of the details.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Well, it's not really catered, since Fink is an eGulleter.

We'll FedEx you some pig.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I think Fink's unit only fits up to a certain size hog.

Also Varmint is stingy.

Also Varmint is stingy.

Stingy? I ain't charging no $25 a head!

The other thing is that we'll be having a fair number of sides. For a 125 pound hog (head removed), you'll end up with about 40 to 50 pounds of meat. Depending on everyone's appetite, that, along with the beer and sides, will feed around 100 people. Yes, there will actually be people who won't eat pork. That's why I'll be smoking about a dozen chickens, too.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Also Varmint is stingy.

Stingy? I ain't charging no $25 a head!

In their defense, I think that Yankees get concerned when things are free. They wonder if someone is trying to put one over on them.

$25 a head is certainly not at all unreasonable. Despite being an eGulleteer, Fink is also running a business off of this--he's also got to calculate against what ELSE he might be making money off of during that time period, so I don't think he can QUITE do it at cost.

I'm assuming the eGulleteer part of it would come into play with the SIDES. Big sides. :biggrin:

The problem is getting 40 people to commit. Yeah, we've got lots of members 'round here, but we're all squirrley about scheduling.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Hey, I'll come- and I'm sure that other members of the Philly contingent will too- but only if you change this:

the NY/NJ/CT Metro Area's answer to Varmint's pig pickin'

to this:

the NY/NJ/CT/PA Metro Area's answer to Varmint's pig pickin'

While I am not entirely comfortable volunteering my own backyard and home, I would like to suggest the possibility of rneting a public area for such an event. There are a number of centrally located municipal parks, with bathrooms and cooking areas..at nominal fees. There is one in Hamilton, exit 7a, a pretty park with a cooking pavillion and bar area. There is a historic house with a working kitchen, on about 6 acres, right off of exit 8a, in the center of the state, that rents for like $ 200 bucks for a night..that would need table and chair rentals..the parks have picnic tables. ..I use these for various fundraisers for local candidates, and get rock bottem prices...but I would be happy to look into this. I am pretty confident that I can get us a nice set-up, easily accessible, for less then 5 bucks a head...and we can potluck paper goods, sides, etc. ( Fink, I have done pigroasts there and it works very well.) Plus , there is a kitchen..someone can stop at a farm stand, buy 10 dozen ears of just picked corn, etc...lots of possibilities.

We tried to do this last year at a park, and the problem was you weren't allowed to have any type of fire on site.

Also, some parks have restrictions on consuming alcohol on-site...

indeed. just about all of them.

i'd love to do this. although i won't volunteer my home, i'll help out in any way.

The park I have used allows for pit fires, and alcohol. It is a VFW-like establishment. You pay the fee, and use their insurance company for 1-day permit ( I think that was $85). Whatever, its an option to look into if nothing else comes up. .

The park I have used allows for pit fires, and alcohol. It is a VFW-like establishment. You pay the fee, and use their insurance company for 1-day permit ( I think that was $85).  Whatever, its an option to look into if nothing else comes up. .

cool. kim is in charge of arranging the place. :biggrin:

I'd like to pursue this as a central Joisey option, but need confirmation that Fink would be willing to travel.

I could narrow it down to two or three sites, post the specifics, take pictures, ( or e-mail the pictures to Rachel, since I am imagestation challenged) and you can all decide which one we should pursue. However, I don't want to start making the calls unless we know for sure that Fink will travel.

Elyse, I'm not sure if you're serious, and I apologize if it seems I have no sense of humor, or am insensitive..$25 seems very nominal to me...I'd really like to se e if this can come togehter, but if the general consensus is that $25 is too much, I don't think it's realistic to plan anything. Last time I checked, movies and pocorn cost $20! But I would appreciate feedback..