• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Similar names - Chez Paul, Jean, Georges

baruch

as if Paris was not confusing enough - just try taking un taxi to michel rostangs :unsure:

can anyone clarify the differences, good or bad, bet the individual, but multiple-named bistros:

the 2-3 chez georges

the 2-3 chez jean

the 2-3 chez paul

I can only address 2 of your multiple same-name houses, both Chez Paul. One is located on the Place Dauphine on Ile de la Cite. It has two entrances, one on the Place and the other on the Quai des Orfevres. This Paul serves classic bistro dishes in a typical old-time bistro setting, including a famously squeaky kitchen door. A second Paul is a couple of blocks east of Bastille on the corner of rue de Charonne and rue de Lappe. It is also an old bistro, but has some updated dishes on the menu. From time to time, this place is very popular and reservations are needed. Both of these Pauls are inexpensive to moderate in price. I should note that we haven't visited either of these two in at least half dozen years.

The third Paul is, I believe, a considerably hipper neo-bistro in the 13th near the Butte aux Cailles.

eGullet member #80.

I can only address 2 of your multiple same-name houses, both Chez Paul.  One is located on the Place Dauphine on Ile de la Cite.  It has two entrances, one on the Place and the other on the Quai des Orfevres.  This Paul serves classic bistro dishes in a typical old-time bistro setting, including a famously squeaky kitchen door.  A second Paul is a couple of blocks east of Bastille on the corner of rue de Charonne and rue de Lappe.  It is also an old bistro, but has some updated dishes on the menu.  From time to time, this place is very popular and reservations are needed.  Both of these Pauls are inexpensive to moderate in price.  I should note that we haven't visited either of these two in at least half dozen years.

The third Paul is, I believe, a considerably hipper neo-bistro in the 13th near the Butte aux Cailles.

merci margaret :biggrin: the 4 i know are:

Restaurant Paul 4e 15 pl Dauphine

maître Paul 6e in St. Germain

chez paul 11e east of the Bastille

chez Paul 13e Butte Aux Cailles

only Jean's & Georges's left to clarify :cool:

Edited by baruch (log)

Le Georges is a modern,trendy eatery in the Pompidou Center..Chez Georges is a classic bistro at 2 rue de Mail, near the place des Victoires

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

The good Chez Jean is in the 9th, and is run by a former Taillevent employee

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Le Georges is a modern,trendy eatery in the Pompidou Center..Chez Georges is a classic bistro at 2 rue de Mail, near  the place des Victoires

classic chez georges bistro is, as u state, n the 2nd arr.

the other is in the 17th arr

the 3rd, as u also report, n the pompidou - personally have not visited.

thx

only the chez jean's left :shock:

The only Chez Jean I have ever tried is at 38 Rue Boyer in the 20th, a 10 minute walk from the Gambetta metro station, it's also at the Pyrenees-Menilmontant stop on bus line 26 which goes from Gare St Lazarre to Porte de Vincennes.

It's extremely sympathique (sympa) and the English speaking owner (Jean Chouty, hence Chez Jean) is a delightful fellow: he is about to retire so this summer might be his last stand. The food is really good home cooked stuff, unpretentious -- his diners are young actors and actresses, local business folks, artists, and mostly habitues, among which I count myself. At www.gaultmillau.fr, if you do your search for Paris 20, you'll find comments. There is music on Fridays and I believe also Saturdays. Prices are good.

I almost forgot: Chez Paul is a very large chain all over France. I stumbled on it at the Forum des Halles in Paris when it was only a bakery with a few tables: they basically served only sandwiches -- Paris's sparrows found their way there, and you could share your crumbs with them. Chez Paul is ubiquitous, probably in every arrondissement, or almost: Champs Elysees, Avenue de l'Opera, etc. The same one is in Lille, Lyon, of the places where I have been recently. The food is quite good, informal and fresh; service is friendly but harried/hurried, but no one seems to mind, it is always crowded.

Edited by Danielle (log)

I forgot all about the Chez Paul boulangeries. They are not only all over Paris, but in other parts of France. I remember getting a fougasse from thier shop in Lille. As much as I am not fond of the homogenization of food brought about by chains and the fabrication and distribution of the same products all over, I will admit that they make some fine bread. They're certainly not the best bakers in Paris, but my guess is that they're often the best bakers in the neighborhood. I think Chez Paul even has a sandwich shop in the food court at the Louvre in the underground space.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

There are two Chez Paul's in Paris, one in the 11th on the rue de Charonne and the second in the Butte aux Cailles neighborhood near the place d'Italie, both are pleasant, traditional Parisian bistros.

The chain of bakers previously mentionned is called "Paul", not "Chez Paul".

Edited by fresh_a (log)

blog

• 3 weeks later...