• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indique

• 2 weeks later...

How's this for Bartender Of The Year candidate material?

I was at Indique tonight for the second time, the first time being in August. Mania (first syllable is accented and rhymes with 'John') is a bartender who works Tuesday through Friday evenings. I walked in this evening, and not only did she remember me from before; she also remembered what I ordered. Not only did she remember what I ordered (the tandoori king prawns); she remembered what I had initially ordered (the fish curry) before she changed my mind and talked me out of it. Considering I didn't even remember ordering the fish curry until she reminded me, I was amazed.

It's a welcoming place to dine solo, and if you go there, have her make you up a drink of her own volition, have her recommend some dishes (she knows the menu quite well), and by all means, tell her DonRocks sent you.

Edited by DonRocks (log)

• 1 month later...

Is anything special going on at Indique for new years eve. Anybody has any news. ????

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux

makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them." Brillat-Savarin

• 2 weeks later...

A dirty little secret about Indique: their desserts do not go well with Port, hence the outstanding Taylor 20-Year Tawny on the menu for the unheard-of price of $8.00 a glass, the lowest price I've ever seen at a restaurant for this superb dessert wine.

Mania behind the bar told me they go through a bottle about once every two months; if I lived nearby, it would be more like once every two days.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm heading to Indique tonight for my first post-flu meal. 

Thinking of trying their desserts - although I've had dinner there seemingly a million times, I've never had dessert.  Any recommendations?

Jenny,

In case nobody else gets to this before you leave:

I'd avoid their gulab jamun because they serve it with ice cream which I think taints this classic dessert. The rice pudding is very good rice pudding, but it's still rice pudding (although I think that even when rice pudding is just rice pudding, it's still an important part of ones caloric intake. Anyone tried the apple bread pudding with a duo of hazelnut and caramel sauces at Firefly? Mmmmm). Based on my experience with these two, the desserts may not be a focal point. Repeat after me: Taylor 20, Taylor 20, Taylor 20, Taylor 20.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Edited by DonRocks (log)

Based on my experience with these two, the desserts may not be a focal point. Repeat after me: Taylor 20, Taylor 20, Taylor 20, Taylor 20.

Ah...if only. Feeling as I do right now, there was no alcohol consumed at this quick meal. The restaurant was much less crowded than usual tonight. Between the weather and the fact that it's Sunday, I suppose.

Stuck to the basics tonight and enjoyed the spices. The heat (my paneer makhani seemed to have some extra fire tonight - good stuff) helped me breathe a little.

And we skipped dessert in favor of something home-cooked. I'm about to bake a chocolate chip banana bread while we watch the Survivor finale.

PS Thanks for the response just the same, Rocks .

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

• 2 months later...

My wife and I had another great meal at Indique last weekend.

Their Shrimp and Scallop Masala is probably my favorite Indian dish I have ever had (although the lamb dish served at the eGullet dinner was pretty damn good too.)

Chef Vinod remembered us from the eGullet dinner last year and spent several minutes chatting with us. Nice people, good food and atmosphere make for a winning meal in my book.

Bill Russell

Their Shrimp and Scallop Masala is probably my favorite Indian dish I have ever had (although the lamb dish served at the eGullet dinner was pretty damn good too.)

Was that lamb dish a special for our dinner? I was there a while back and didn't see anything resembling it on the menu. I could have eaten 10 lbs of that stuff, but it was served late in our meal and by then I could only sample a few morsels.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

• 2 months later...

LiamDC and I had a very nice dinner at Indique last night (my first time there, not his). We arrived early, at 6, but still couldn't get a table in the dining room , so we sat in the bar area instead--which was actually quite nice, since it was light out and they have big windows and a view of the street. I had a tamarind margarita (ok, I had two), which was wonderful-- very cool and different from a typical marg, and soothing with my hot food; and Liam had a glass of Covey Run gewurtz followed by a glass of spanish wine that was just mediocre.

We started with the calamari, which was really terrific, nicely cooked little pieces of baby squid in chilis, and the salmon cakes, which were only ok. For my entree, I had the lamb vindaloo, which I asked for extra hot (and boy did they follow directions--it was kickin!), and Liam had the shrimp curry. Both came with lentils and rice, and we had plenty of nan on the side. I eat a lot of vindaloo (usually chicken tho), and this dish was particularly good, and particularly hot. Yum!

Now for our amusing moment of the evening-- towards the end of dinner, a new couple was seated next to us (and the tables are close together in the bar area, making for great eavesdropping), and when the server approached and asked for their drink order, the woman (approx 45 yrs old) responded "I'll have a glass of chardonnay." Ok, we both contained our laughter, wine snobs that we are, but busted up as soon as we exited the building. "A glass of chardonnay"??? Any glass? That's like saying "I'll have an entree" or "I'll have a soft drink." Is it too hard to open the wine list (which is ONLY two pages long) and pick something, or ask for a recommendation? Does she care so little about what she imbibes?

Anyways, don't mean to be harsh, but when I think back to this, our first evening at Indique, that drink order is what I'll remember. Ok, that and then our subsequent fabulous 6 hrs at Atomic Billiards, where I received the pool-shooting lesson of my life from an elderly former air-force captain. And then that lamb vindaloo and those margaritas. Yeah, I'll be back. :raz:

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

LiamDC and I had a very nice dinner at Indique last night (my first time there, not his). We arrived early, at 6, but still couldn't get a table in the dining room , so we sat in the bar area instead--which was actually quite nice, since it was light out and they have big windows and a view of the street. I had a tamarind margarita (ok, I had two), which was wonderful-- very cool and different from a typical marg, and soothing with my hot food; and Liam had a glass of Covey Run gewurtz followed by a glass of spanish wine that was just mediocre.

We started with the calamari, which was really terrific, nicely cooked little pieces of baby squid in chilis, and the salmon cakes, which were only ok. For my entree, I had the lamb vindaloo, which I asked for extra hot (and boy did they follow directions--it was kickin!), and Liam had the shrimp curry. Both came with lentils and rice, and we had plenty of nan on the side. I eat a lot of vindaloo (usually chicken tho), and this dish was particularly good, and particularly hot. Yum!

Now for our amusing moment of the evening-- towards the end of dinner, a new couple was seated next to us (and the tables are close together in the bar area, making for great eavesdropping), and when the server approached and asked for their drink order, the woman (approx 45 yrs old) responded "I'll have a glass of chardonnay." Ok, we both contained our laughter, wine snobs that we are, but busted up as soon as we exited the building. "A glass of chardonnay"??? Any glass? That's like saying "I'll have an entree" or "I'll have a soft drink." Is it too hard to open the wine list (which is ONLY two pages long) and pick something, or ask for a recommendation? Does she care so little about what she imbibes?

Anyways, don't mean to be harsh, but when I think back to this, our first evening at Indique, that drink order is what I'll remember. Ok, that and then our subsequent fabulous 6 hrs at Atomic Billiards, where I received the pool-shooting lesson of my life from an elderly former air-force captain. And then that lamb vindaloo and those margaritas. Yeah, I'll be back. :raz:

And I don't mean to be harsh in my response, but I don't see it as all that funny. I enjoy wine, loved (and love) learning about it, etc. But to find it funny that not everyone is as informed...?

Sara, I have to comment on the chardonnay comment. I'm a wino-o, buy and drink way too much wine (have a walk-in temp controlled wine cellar at home, etc) but my wine-saavy friends (incl. Mrs BBQ) will often ask for a glass of white or Chard not out of a lack of knowledge or interest but because the house white will often suffice for the time being until a bottle is selected. Oftentimes the server will respond with a list of whites or chards available by the glass. Prompting the server to give this info is appropriate, its part of the service.

I just didn't share in your amusement with the chardonnay incident.

I also do not share in your amusement. Did the patron's behavior somehow affect you personally? Was her being 45-ish relevant in any way?

Increased knowledge should engender increased realization of how much remains to be learned, with the humility thereof.

edited for wording

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Being at the table with sara, I must admit that I found the whole chardonnay incident humorous. Perhaps it was the slightly snobbish tone in which said "glass of chardonnay" was ordered. Perhaps it was the 2 glasses of wine I'd consumed, I don't know. But Jenny, I don't think we were laughing at someone for being uninformed, but simply reacting to the context of the situation.

I agree with bbq that often a customer will not care and simply go with the house wine. But I do find it interesting that many of the same folks who will walk into a restaurant and order something like "white" or "chardonnay" would never walk in and order just a "beer" or an "stout". Just one of those Seinfeldian observations, I guess. :raz: At Indique, there is no house chardonnay per se, but a number of choices. While I would hope that every customer would peruse the selections and perhaps ask the server for recommendations, I realize that some don't want to and that a list itself often does not help the customer make a decision. At that point, I guess the ball is in the server's court. Does he/she make a recommendation? Leave it up to the bartender? give the customer whatever is opened? give the customer the cheapest one? give the customer the most expensive one to pad the bill? I honestly don't know what occurs in these situations.

Putting wine aside, however, the dinner at Indique was excellent. Sara’s review captured our experience. It was my 4th trip, and I'll be going back again.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

Was that snarling Dennis Miller lookalike working behind the bar? He has been there the last couple of Saturday's I've been, and I suspect he wouldn't care much about wine pairings. That said, I'm not sure a Chardonnay of any type would be a wise selection with this cuisine ... well, maybe a chilled Blanc de Blancs Champagne with a Saag Aloo, or even a Grappa (yes, there's Chardonnay-based Grappa) to neutralize the heat of the Lamb Vindaloo?

But I've always been happy with those sneaky-strong tamarind torpedos.

On the,

Rocks.

Was that snarling Dennis Miller lookalike working behind the bar? He has been there the last couple of Saturday's I've been, and I suspect he wouldn't care much about wine pairings. That said, I'm not sure a Chardonnay of any type would be a wise selection with this cuisine ... well, maybe a chilled Blanc de Blancs Champagne with a Saag Aloo, or even a Grappa (yes, there's Chardonnay-based Grappa) to neutralize the heat of the Lamb Vindaloo?

But I've always been happy with those sneaky-strong tamarind torpedos.

On the,

Rocks.

No Dennis Miller lookalike this time - unless he was in drag and shaved his facial hair. :wacko:

I agree about those tamarind torpedoes. Ready? Aim. Fire! Seemed to work for sara. The Covey Run gewurzt was a nice match w/ the calamari appetizer as well.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

I don't see ordering "a glass of Chardonnay" as much different from knowing that I want a green salad and saying "I'll have a green salad" instead of reading off the usually too-detailed description on the menu. From the lady's order I would not have inferred that she was unknowledgeable about wine, too lazy to read the wine list, or careless about what she imbibes.

I guess your answer would be that I "had to be there"?

Hmm. Interesting go-round here. My take is that asking for any old wine isn't equivalent to asking for a green salad, since you did at least specify the 'green' and very very often more than one isn't offered. "A chardonnay" does seem to me to imply that one really doesn't care, and that's what amused me and Liam. Why wouldn't a foodie be amused by a lack of concern/care over what one drinks? I'm not putting her down by being amused, but rather, simply being amused.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

• 3 weeks later...

I am a new fan of Indique's deconstructed samosa appetizer - I think they've added more pieces of the pastry shell which is what appeals to me.

We got takeout from Indique last night - the usual chicken tikka makhani and the aforementioned samosa for me, paneer brochette (I forget the official name) and Goa shrimp curry for PLM. Garlic naan to share. All very good.

I just had some of the leftover samosa for lunch (it reheated better than I expected) and now it's off to the pool! :smile: