• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indique

A few weeks ago in the India Forum there was a discussion on what the "next" Indian restaurant should be. I read it with strong emotions -- one particular posting made me both sad and really mad at the sametime. Someone posted that they would never take their clients to an Indian restaurant (number of issues indicated in the post) -- and I began to wonder.... what if.. what if there was a place that had true (not watered down) cuisine, service to write home about, an intelligent wine list and beautifully plated food... sounded hard to replicate here in the States. I kept goint back to the experiences that I have had with Five star hotels in India.... why can we not do that here? Turns out that someone has...

My husband and I had the pleasure of dining at Indique on Friday. Finally a restaurant that did away with the everday and familiar and shows you what Southern Indian cuisine is all about. Think Salmon and crabs and calamari.. all dressed with aromatic spices and flavorful sauces. To say that the food was good would be an understatement. Served beautifully on elegant white plates by a trained and attentive wait staff. (My husband was trying to decide on two different types of chicken -- the Chettinand and the Makhani. He decided on the latter. When our dinner was served, the restaurant sent over a complimentary portion of the Chettinand for him to try!!)

They have put a lot of thought into the drinks menu. I enjoyed my Tamarind Flavored Margarita and my hubby savoured his Mango Martini

The desserts were pieces of art.. beautifully plated and yes very delicious.

Closing my eyes, I could feel myself transported to the Taj Hotel in Kerala (South India), sitting on the sun drenched beach, sipping my tamarind margarita and eating appams and stew.

We will definately return there, many more times I hope

PM me if you want to know more!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I went to Indique this weekend for the first time. It was very good, although we came away with a split decision between Indique and Heritage India where we went a few weeks ago.

The two dishes that really stood out were both my wife's dishes :sad: the interesting take on the samosa which can best be described as a descontructed samosa and the shrimp and scallop masala which had the intense, deep flavors you expect from really good Indian food .

My dishes were good - the lamb vindaloo and the crab tikki - but I thought the vindaloo was a little too one-note hot without enough of the vinegary taste that I prefer although the lamb was incredibly tender and while I liked the flavors of the crab cakes, we are spoiled by the good lumpy crabcakes in this region. The Onion Kulcha and Garlic Naan both had the right flavor but were a little thick around the edges.

I liked the restaurant itself we sat on the edge of the open second floor and I had a good view of the tandoor.

All in all it was very good. I personally thought that the food was better in terms of consistency at Heritage India, but I liked the idea that Indique was trying to "tweak" the traditional idea of an Indian restaurant - not so formal, a little more trendy in retaurant design, plating (I really liked the various plates - no standard round plates here) and cooking.

Edit - excuse the runon sentences and atrocious structure of this post. Give me a break, I am trying to work here (at my real job, which pays the bills so I can go out to eat as often as I do), can't you tell? :wink:

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

I will comment on consistency next week -- we are headed there again this week with a group of foodies.. so I will let you all know how it turns out!

Nice post Bill!

Did you try any of the drinks? I love the way they plate their food... appetizing and spetacular to look at!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I just had a Kingfisher. My wife was going to get the Tamarind Martini but whimped out. We also had mango lassis, which she gets everywhere and these were the best I have had.

Bill Russell

We ate at Indique on Friday and it was quite an experience. I would go back there in an instant. The food was fantastic. Even better than our first visit. Trust me I have eaten at a lot of Indian restaurants in the US and in India, and this place is a unique combination of the best -- best dishes from South India combined with the beautiful presentation and plating techniques of the west.

The talented Executive Chef was there, Vinod, and I gently persuaded him to teach a short course on eGCI. I am just so delighted

BTW -- if you want the best kulfi in town or anywhere -- this is the place to go

Incidentally, I meant to say this before Bill -- Heritage (where the food is equally superb -- Bethesda location ) offers food from the Northern parts of India and Indique focuses on the southern parts

If folks are interested in an eGullet dinner at either or both places... PM me and lets get something organized

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I have 2 people who want to go.. lets get more people and then I can suggest a date. i am sure the Chef would be gracious enough to do a nice tasting menu for us so we can try many things..

let me know or post here... I am so excited -- this will be fun

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally have a lot of folks interested in going to Indique for a tasting. I would like to do it on Sept 20th. Can you please either post here or PM me and let me know of your interest and what are somethings you would like to try (allergies or restrictions etc)... and I will work with the chef to do a custom tasting

This would be fun. Tom Sietsema talked about this place last week on his chat and said he really loved the food

Thanks

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Sorry I have been out for a few days as my wife had surgery for a bad gallbladder.

Count me in for two.

Jen has been wanting to go back there but hasn't been able to eat spicy or fatty (read: good) food for a while. I know she will be ready to do it up by that point.

Bill Russell

If there's still space, I'd love to attend as well (with my husband if there's space for 2).

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Okay some details. I had a WONDERFUL conversation with the amazing and talented Chef Vinod of Indique. He is thrilled about this event. After a lot of discussion we settled on 5:30 pm on Saturday for the dinner. It is a bit early because he wants to be able to spend sometime with us and talk to us about the dishes. The restaurant if FULLY BOOKED that night (as it is on many weekends) and so doing it later for so many people will be hard. The price will be $50 per person, including taxes. Tips and drinks not included. Chef Vinod is promising us an experience to remember. i will post more information as I get it.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice