• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion Blenders

Marlene

You just need a "real" immersion blender

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=mo...cmd=si&img=5588

I have the 20 inch model.  I freqeuntly use it to make large batches of Tomato sauce.  I don't cut anything up to speak of and then hit it for a few seconds with the blender.

I also have a kitchen aid for small batches, but don't use it often.

Perhaps the difference is that tomatoes have a fair amount of liquid content. I bought the Kitchenaid - and it seems reasonably powerful. But when you're working with a bowl full of totally solid stuff - without liquid - you're kind of working an inch at a time.

It's not the right time of year - but it seems like a good tool for making gazpacho.

Have to laugh - I'm dog tired (maybe some of you are too). Do you watch Desperate Housewives? The character who steals Ritalin from her friend's kids? That's what I feel like now - except I'm popping licorice Jelly Bellies :biggrin: . Robyn

I have the deluxe Richard, it's awesome. between it and my blender, i almost never use my food processor anymore.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

If I remember right, the one that my good son abscounded with was a Braun. It had that suction problem. I think I will go with the Bamix. The design makes more sense.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Hi Robyn. It's sort of fun to fill the kitchen with food, even the ceiling, isn't it? :blink:

I am only making sides for Thanksgiving, as I'll be dining elsewhere. but I had the immersion blender out to chop nuts and herbs, and I thought of you. :wub: I counted, and I'm making 7 sides and some roasted garlic, and so far I've finished 2 and they are so delish I hope no one else likes them so I can act sorry and shlub them home and eat them myself. One is collard greens with pancetta instead of a ham hock. I am not saying I'm terrific, but these made me groan and feel I'd had one of the best dishes ever. Huzzah to collard greens.

One dish I'll be finishing tomorrow is called Turnip Risotto. Step One is to dice turnips into rice-sized pieces. It wasn't as bad as it sounds. :raz: Finished detail to follow, if you like.

When I made a parsnip puree I used the blender, then pushed it thru a fine sieve. A little time-consuming, but the stuff was like velvet. Push it thru a sieve, tamis, whatever you've got, to get the texture. The velvety texture is like an ingredient.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Angela

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

This is why I hate eGullet.

I was perfectly happy never using my 15 year old Krups "wand" and then I read this thread an my level of dissatisfaction is raised- finally to the point where I have to have a new one.

I bought the Kitchen Aid today at Target as it was the same price as online. I considered a Cuisineart but my last purchase from them, a burr coffee grinder has left me cold. It broke after three weeks and it took months to replace. I've loved my KA moxer and mini-prep and this immersion blender feels very solid.

Well, using it after the Krups is like night and day. This thing is gorgeous. Now I wonder if I should have waited and gotten the Bamix. I can still see using my blender often (it's so key for Mexican food), but as a bean person, this thing is going to be great.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

This is why I hate eGullet.

I was perfectly happy never using my 15 year old Krups "wand" and then I read this thread an my level of dissatisfaction is raised- finally to the point where I have to have a new one.

I bought the Kitchen Aid today at Target as it was the same price as online. I considered a Cuisineart but my last purchase from them, a burr coffee grinder has left me cold. It broke after three weeks and it took months to replace. I've loved my KA moxer and mini-prep and this immersion blender feels very solid.

Well, using it after the Krups is like night and day. This thing is gorgeous. Now I wonder if I should have waited and gotten the Bamix. I can still see using my blender often (it's so key for Mexican food), but as a bean person, this thing is going to be great.

When I make black bean soup, after cooking for a suitable period, I remove half the beans and all of the pork hocks. Then I use the immersion blender to puree the remaining beans in the liquid, add some ground pepitas and check the seasoning.

I then add back the whole beans the meat from the ham hocks, chopped, and keep at a very low simmer until ready to serve.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Some of my neighbors and I had a communal dinner yesterday and all of my immersion blenders were used at one time or another.

I made fresh cranberry sauce in an electric Dutch oven as the cooktop and both induction cookers were in use. All three of the Cuisinarts were also being used (I usually process the sauce in one of these) so I broke out the KA blender that was new in the box, to work on the sauce right in the pan. It worked pefectly, certainly as good as the 400 watt Braun, and since it is shorter, was a little easier to manipulate.

One of the neighbors also brought hers as she was making a couple of things that needed it. She has a Thunderstick Pro which she says she bought at the "As Seen On TV" store in the mall.

She had seen it on Amazon and was going to order it but saw it in the window at the mall store and figured no shipping this way.

I looked it up and it seems to be a pretty good buy with all the attachments for 34.95.

I didn't check the price on Amazon.

She used it to grate hard cheese and it worked very nicely, then she used to make guacamole.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Make foams and "airs" - try carrot air from fresh carrot.

You might want to correct seasonings at this point.

Very cool. But what kind of seasonings are you talking about here? All I saw was carrot and water.

thanks!

Edited by hathor (log)

You just need a "real" immersion blender

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=mo...cmd=si&img=5588

I have the 20 inch model.  I freqeuntly use it to make large batches of Tomato sauce.  I don't cut anything up to speak of and then hit it for a few seconds with the blender.

I also have a kitchen aid for small batches, but don't use it often.

http://www.jbprince.com/index.asp?PageActi...ROD&ProdID=1490

The place I used to work had one of these. It was the size of a jack-hammer.

Ten gallons of creme of asperagras soup in seconds.

The sous had it get away from him once and dumped a pot of soup into an ice bath at about ten minutes till the lunch bell.

You could use this thing to put holes in drywall.

I make a pineapple - shallot sauce with mine . works well with seafood.

1 Shallot diced

5 oz pineapple

6 oz unsweetened pineapple juice

2 Tsb cream

Sweat off the shallots in your preferred fat, drop in the pineapple and blast it a wee bit .

Pour in the juice and reduce by half . Once reduced , blast with the stick blender . Stir in the cream and season with salt & pepper

My 2c

Jorge

• 1 year later...

Our Phillips food processor just died, so I need a replacement. But I'm thinking... I used it mainly for two specific tasks: pureeing soups, and making hummous. And I have a storage-challenged life. Could I get by with an immersion blender (hereinafter refered to as an IB)?

I've heard that IBs won't get a puree as smooth as a processor - true or not? I know neither will get it as smooth as a blender, I can live with that.

And I've never heard of anyone using an IB for hummous. Anyone do this?

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Never used an IB for hummous but it is my go to tool for soups and purees. One of the nicest features of an IB is that you can use it directly in the cooking vessal. As for a storage challenged life just take some of the nicer looking underused gadgets and put them on shelves in the bedroom. I guaranty you will have food filled dreams.

I posted a similar question recently:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...78544&hl=mrsadm

Further research on egullet lead me to purchase a bamix immersion blender for pureeing soups. I will be trying it later this week and report back on the results.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

I use my Braun IB for virually everything.

Hardly ever use a food processor or blender, and this is mainly in a work situation.

I'm sure a Bamix would do the rick.

Just make sure is you get a more "household" ish applaince tha you get the power needed.

Best I've used is the Braun.

Good Luck!

2317/5000

I have a Hamilton Beach IB. I didn't buy it so I have no idea what it cost but it does all that I ask of it which is usually to puree soups but it's great for smoothing out lumpy gravy, etc.

Have never tried it for hummus because I make that in the Cuisinart.

I bought an IB after seeing them used all the time on Food Network, but I've never used it.

It just doesn't feel right. Like maybe the proportions are wrong for what it does?

SB (but, that's just me) :sad:

I have a Braun and use it all the time.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Add one more person who owns the Braun and loves it.

I went to buy a second one where I originally purchased my first and they told me it's discontinued (Bed, Bath & Beyond). I did manage to track one down. The IB I'm referrring to has two speeds and way more power then similar IB's sold retail I've looked at.

Make it three for the Braun. I've had it for many years and love it. It has four speeds (though I generally use only two), comes apart, and came with a small chopping bowl. I tried to make pesto in it (since I didn't have a food processor at the time), and it worked, but was a major pain. But it works beautifully for soups, sauces, and purees and probably other things that I have yet to discover.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany