• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion Blenders

Marlene

""  Talk about hard to clean: a standard blender ""

I add hot water and a tiny bit os liquid detergrnt to the 

blender and give it a whirl   pour out

maybe again w hot water 

done.   

make sure its only a tiny bit of that detergent 

BTW

same for a tick blender :  

a jar of hot water and a drop of detergent.   rinse etc

• Like 3

After killing I don’t know how many stick blenders I got a Bamix last week, it’s something I’ve wanted for years. It blended pumpkins to soup in less time and less effort then any previously it also blended the pumpkins, carrots and onion to a nice smooth texture, it wasn’t the high powered blender fine but it was darn near close and tons better then any other I’ve used (never used a professional version for commercial kitchens)

extremely happy with it :)

• Like 7

So thought I might put down what I’ve made so far. 

mayonnaise, I’ve made flavoured, black garlic, cranberries, chipotle chilli, avo, kewpie (chefsteps) 

still about 2 dozen other mayos on the list. Each time it’s taken longer to put everything in the cup and prep for oil if needed (blend chillies, mix in extra lecithin, whatever) making the emulsion is 30 seconds or less and then add a little water where needed.

soup, like I said above not as smooth as the high speed blender or the thermomix but once the xanthan gum is added you can’t actually detect the vegetables as well anyway so it’s sufficient. Pumpkin soup and tomato soup so far.

toum, incredibly easy blended a few tablespoons of oil with the garlic added more oil lost interest and dumped the rest of the oil in and let it blend for 30 seconds and it was done. 

Incorporate stuff into milk, hot chocolate, whipping in air. No effort. 

whipped egg whites that where leftover from something else. Was almost as fast as mayo, added sugar no effort at all no time at all as good as the stand mixer. 

made pasta carbonara, after rendering the bacon and frying pumpkin ravioli in a little butter I used the oil and butter in with the eggs and blended it lol together with water and some cheese (plus salt, msg) and dumped it into the pan with the ravioli and let it thicken adjusted seasoning added pepper and done. Smooth perfect and completely unnecessary to use a Bamix with but the oil being sheered into the yolk and egg was nice and warmed up the egg. Ridiculously calorie dense and delicious

ice, crushed. 

don’t need it, love having it, won’t give it up and so far it’s everything I’ve hoped for! Bamix blades absolutely all perform differently and are somewhat interchangeable! Absolutely worth it!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I use my long stemmed Bamix with the cutting blade to make bubble solution in a 4 liter wide mouth lab nalgene jar. Allows me to blend in the guar gum suspended in 99% isopropyl without a gloppy mess and waiting a couple of days for the guar to hydrate. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I use my long stemmed Bamix with the cutting blade to make bubble solution in a 4 liter wide mouth lab nalgene jar. Allows me to blend in the guar gum suspended in 99% isopropyl without a gloppy mess and waiting a couple of days for the guar to hydrate. 

Now this piques my interest.  Can you post your bubble solution recipe ( url link or DM it to me?)  I think it would be fun to make bubbles for Christmas parties.   I have guar gum sitting here.

Edited by lemniscate
request from mod (log)

• 5 months later...

Last night's dinner was a purple peep.  That and a disastrously half raw anovaed oven chicken thigh, mashed potatoes, and a few frozen peas.  Don't laugh, most extensive cooking I've assayed in some months.  Note, although tempting, I had not cooked the purple peep.

For the mashed potatoes I had intended to use the Breville potato mashing attachment, which has always served me well.  Nothing happened.  It was dead.  I came here to bad mouth Breville.  Turns out, as you may well have guessed, it was user error.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 months later...

Earlier this week I set myself the task to shred some napa cabbage.  Not feeling up to knife work, I assayed the shredder attachment for my Ankarsrum mixer.  What a mess.  Then I thought of my little Breville BSB530XL immersion blender.  I used the food processor attachment for the BSB530XL.  Perfectly shredded cabbage in seconds.

Little wonder Breville is doing well in the kitchen appliance market.  Yesterday I read an article in Bloomberg Businessweek on the success of Breville's business model.  One of the few products they have not yet cracked is the kitchen mixer.  But I have to say they have the immersion blender down perfect!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Little wonder Breville is doing well in the kitchen appliance market.  Yesterday I read an article in Bloomberg Businessweek on the success of Breville's business model.  One of the few products they have not yet cracked is the kitchen mixer.  But I have to say they have the immersion blender down perfect!

Big fan of the Breville products.  

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

59 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Earlier this week I set myself the task to shred some napa cabbage.  Not feeling up to knife work, I assayed the shredder attachment for my Ankarsrum mixer.  What a mess.  Then I thought of my little Breville BSB530XL immersion blender.  I used the food processor attachment for the BSB530XL.  Perfectly shredded cabbage in seconds.

I'm having great difficulty imagining how the immersion blender utilizes the food processor.  Or vice versa.