• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite Tales

Matthew, you were responsible for putting together some extraordinary programs and worked with many very talented people. Do you have a few favourite tales to tell, perhaps of the Bocuse D'Or special? Of course Mario stories are always welcome.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Matthew, you were responsible for putting together some extraordinary programs and worked with many very talented people. Do you have a few favourite tales to tell, perhaps of the Bocuse D'Or special? Of course Mario stories are always welcome.

If it is wonderful Mario tale you want then that is what you shall have...

When I decided to go to Italy for the first time in 1997 (I think) it was with very little notice, perhaps four days. very little planning went in, I spoke negative amounts of Italian (and was horrid at French and Spanish, my acumen in Sanskrit was not going to help).

I was planning to go to Bologna and called Mario if he could give me any advice of where to go or what to do. Mario had me come to Babbo. I bought lunch and he changed my life. Among the loads that he offered in consumate Mario style was this key phrase - "Fate voy con vini locali"

this, he accurately claimed, was a very hip and trusting thing to say to a chef or waiter. In essence it means, to paraphase Mario "I trust you enough to make me something, something that you think is awesome, something you think I should have. Whatever you make, serve it with local wine."

You know what? Whenever I used that phrase I got a huge smile and food that was not on the menu and often visits from the chef who sweetly explained in broken english what they had given me.

I have a bit more Italian in my pocket now, but not much...but that is my special bullet to be used at special times.

I have thanked him before and I will again...Thank you Mario Batali.

Thank you, Matthew.

Tell me, your Sanskrit. Does it extend to Buddhist Hybrid as used for example in the Lankavatara sutra or is it more classical?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I see. How about Pali?