• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Programming Tsunami

Mathew,

Food TV (generally) has come a long way since Julia Child occasionally dropped a chicken on the floor when no one was looking. Now, besides PBS and TFN, even The History Channel is airing food-related programming. Do you see more outlets for food and cooking related shows opening up? Or do you think this wave has peaked?

(And if it's still on the upswing, what's next?)

Thank you for your time here!

Mathew,

Food TV (generally) has come a long way since Julia Child occasionally dropped a chicken on the floor when no one was looking.  Now, besides PBS and TFN, even The History Channel is airing food-related programming.  Do you see more outlets for food and cooking related shows  opening up? Or do you think this wave has peaked?

(And if it's still on the upswing, what's next?)

Thank you for your time here!

this nifty question has nothing to do with my time at Food Network, just my thoughts, so no disclaimer is needed.... hmmm.

Food is one of these macro topics in humanity, music and art are others that come to mind...taking that as axiomatically true people will always be interested in it in some way. because of the breadth of the subject finding the way it intersects with numerous other disciplines/subjects is pretty easy.

making cool tv about it may be a bit tougher...maybe.

where am i going with this? this has gotten loftier than i might have intended.

maybe i am saying that i think that there is a lot of potentially amazing programming about food that could be made that would just be electric if done right. most of this potential programming will probably be unmade unless some show happens to come along that really opens up other producers thinking about the subject.

you know, like dante opened up the whole idea of what a novel could be...forever changing the landscape.

if that show or shows don't come along then i think the the wave will kind of stay where it is for a longish time.

have i said anything that made any sense?

just wondering.

maybe someone wants to take me out for a glass of wine and we can talk about the philosophy of unmade television shows about food...or art...or music

maybe someone wants to take me out for a glass of wine and we can talk about the philosophy of unmade television shows about food...or art...or music

I'm game, Matthew...so long as you promise the whole evening won't be filled with verbal disclaimers :laugh:

Just kidding. Thanks so much for participating in this Q&A, and believe me, i understand why you have to do that.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.