• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ah, it was the best of times....

Matthew:

Can you share one of your fondest anecdotal experiences with your work with FN? Something silly with Alton or Mario? A good laugh was had? (even if it did require a little time and/or space -- doh!) :smile:

Again, thanks!

Lynn

Wow... my recollections are my own and have nothing to do with Food Network practices so there is no disclaimer here.

I mean I spent almost five years at place that I loved to work at... so many anecdotes and memories.

picking over food from the shows in the break room after taping was over with everyone in the office.

having a sip of 1871 Macallen scotch that was found in an attic somewhere. it was like drinking a mythological substance. unreal, profound, spiritual, requires metaphor to describe because the flavors were not of this earth.

having to pass on the message that the necks of roasted poussin looked like penises on-air and had to be trimmed down to stumps.

watching that terrible bilingual show referred to elsewhere...we were crying and screaming. it was so wonderful.

reading cookbook galleys. loving that the recipes said "see page xx" for more information and trying to find where xx was because none of the pages were numbered.

every moment writing with alton was remarkable. we really are both the same kind of weird and it was funny all the time.

seeing my brother on the roof of the Good Eats house talking about how science isn't like chicken bones, everyone marvelling at how great he is on camera and then Alton being wowed at how much thought my brother put into conceiving a mini physics document on "sandwich mechanics."

that moment when "the" idea came. everything is bright and clear and you just smile, admiring it because you know it isn't yours...it just came through you. that is nice.

how is that?

there are jillions of them.

seeing my brother on the roof of the Good Eats house talking about how science isn't like chicken bones, everyone marvelling at how great he is on camera and then Alton being wowed at how much thought my brother put into conceiving a mini physics document on "sandwich mechanics."

Just to confirm: Your brother was the physicist on the roof guy?

picking over food from the shows in the break room after taping was over with everyone in the office.

having a sip of 1871 Macallen scotch that was found in an attic somewhere. it was like drinking a mythological substance. unreal, profound, spiritual, requires metaphor to describe because the flavors were not of this earth.

having to pass on the message that the necks of roasted poussin looked like penises on-air and had to be trimmed down to stumps.

that moment when "the" idea came. everything is bright and clear and you just smile, admiring it because you know it isn't yours...it just came through you. that is nice.

how is that?

Aww, Matt, that was lovely and funny!

That scotch sounded ethereal. :wub:

The fun with Alton must have been outrageous.

Thank you for sharing. :raz: