• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nectar

We had a most excellent pre-Henry Rollins dinner at Nectar last night. It was pretty quiet, but we were there early. Somehow they made the connection between the reservation on OpenTable and the eGullet me - I have no idea how, since we've never been there before, unless they're able to pull up the reservation history at other places.

Every single thing we had was excellent, from starters onward. I had mussels steamed with lemongrass in a peanut and tamarind sauce for a starter - the sauce had just enough chili zing to be warming without being overpoweringly hot, and the texture was just about perfect. Dave had the pumpkin soup, which was silky and savory and wonderful and which I'll be getting next time. :biggrin:

I really have to compliment them on the breads - there were 4 offered, a walnut raisin, a semolina bread, an Asiago cheese bread, and a pain de campagne made with Guinness. I can't speak for the raisin, but the others were very good. The pain de campagne was particularly gorgeous, with a nice malty undertone but none of the bitterness I would have expected from something made with Guinness. I'd love to get hold of a loaf, 'cause it'd be dandy for a ham and cheese sandwich.

For entrees, I got veal cheeks with lentil squash puree. I'm becoming a big fan of beef/veal cheeks - that melting meat texture is just the sort of dish I want when it's this cold outside. The puree was awfully good as well - just enough Indian spice to keep it interesting but not interfere with the flavor of the veal. Dave never met a duck he didn't like, and he says the duck breast with leg confit was some of the best duck he's ever had. From the one bite I got, I'd have to agree - it was just right. Our dining companion got the hanger steak - cooked to a perfect state of still-mooing, with potatoes hidden by a paper-thin layer of speck. Despite his being one of those low-carb types, the potatoes went away pretty quickly. Maybe he was seduced by the bacony goodness. :laugh:

The desserts were just as spectacular as their billing. I got the cobbler and white russian milkshake. Although the cobbler was good, the milkshake was definitely the highlight. Dave got the baked alaska, which looked like a medium-sized meringue-covered hedgehog. It must have been good; all I got was a taste of the meringue, but he was lamenting not being able to lick the plate afterwards. The mutant apple pie looked awfully interesting as well, and we were assured it was good.

I had a couple of different glasses of wine - a Gruner Veltliner with the mussels, and another I can't remember the name of with the veal. I was really impressed with the variety of the list and the fact that absolutely everything was available by the glass. Kudos to their beer list, too - a lot of places don't make an effort to stock anything creative beer-wise, but there were some real gems there.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Dave got the baked alaska, which looked like a medium-sized meringue-covered hedgehog. It must have been good; all I got was a taste of the meringue, but he was lamenting not being able to lick the plate afterwards.

Exactly right--the best damn tasty hedgehog ever!! I was searching for that word when writing my post, thanks for providing it. I took some piks that night, and will get them back today, hopefully they'll be good enough to post...

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

But most importantly Hannah -- How was Rollins?

Was he doing music or reading?

To go back to my High School days -- Black Flag Rocks!!!!

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I really have to compliment them on the breads

Might be the best bread service i have had. It was interesting that they would bring the basket to you and serve individual pieces. I felt like a fool asking for the basket about four times, but it was worth it.

Bill Russell

But most importantly Hannah -- How was Rollins?

Was he doing music or reading?

To go back to my High School days -- Black Flag Rocks!!!!

Spoken word, and he was hysterical as always. The best part was an account of a recent track he recorded with, of all people, William Shatner, and the dinner they had in the middle of the recording session.

Apparently Shatner is quite the gourmand himself, and made a big deal about "a friend who lives...on the Eastern...Seaboard!" who "captures...his own...Scallops!" (Henry does a devastatingly good Shatner, btw.) The guy had flown in with some of his personally captured scallops for their dinner.

The scallops thing brings on a tangent - "How exactly do you capture scallops?" The options were essentially: grabbing them, knocking them over the head, or the full cavemen-capturing-the-rampaging-woolly-mammoth-scallop. "Aagh! It's the scallops! *runrunrun* RAAAWWWGGGHHH! *stab scallop with spears*"

There were also a couple of good bits on free food at movie premieres - since all the glamourous types don't actually eat, that leaves more popcorn and unagi for Henry. :laugh:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Hi

Here are some piks from my birthday celebration at Nectar...

First, here is the pan-fried salmon w/ oestra creme fraiche:

i2650.jpg

Next, the wonderful bread, served to me with the crusts cut off by Jared:

i2649.jpg

LiamDC (my boyfriend), me, and Mazman, happily dining:

i2648.jpg

Finally, pictures of me in the kitchen with Jamie and Jared (had to split a pik of the three of us into two to fit in here):

i2647.jpg

i2651.jpg

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I just finished another fabulous meal at Nectar. I tried the hangar steak this time. This could be my get me through this horrible winter comfort food of choice. My belly is warm and happy. They did an excellent job of recommending wines for my motley group, but I wonder if they caught me watching for signs of a smirk!

In keeping with my earlier scotch posting, does anyone know if Nectar has an interesting scotch selection - this is the perfect place to take my friend for his thank you dinner if they have interesting scotch. I didn't think to ask until after I'd left.

It wasn't an enormous scotch list, but there were a couple of real gems, including a sherry-cask-aged Laphroaig and a Bunnahabhain. I'd think your friend would certainly find something to like.

• 3 weeks later...

My mom's visiting from Iowa this weekend and I'm taking her to Nectar saturday night! It's also my first (highly-anticipated!) trip there. Have lots and lots of ideas on what to order based on comments from last summer, but, er....

anyone been there recently?

anything (besides everything) knocked you off your chair?

thanks!!!

Was there on Monday, the edamame soup was one standout. Can't remember the garnish as I was transfixed by Fox's latest disaster, the "Bachelor who is much shorter than I." Much hilarity ensued.

Also, do not leave without having cheese.

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Was there on Monday, the edamame soup was one standout. Can't remember the garnish as I was transfixed by Fox's latest disaster, the "Bachelor who is much shorter than I." Much hilarity ensued.

Also, do not leave without having cheese.

Johnny!! Shame on you! You watched that, too?

OOOPS

Mark

Is it an indictment of me or society as a whole that I was in tears watching that?

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

The show tanked; only 7.5 million viewers. I can't believe two or three of them were people I know. :raz:

There were at least three of them that I can vouch for.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

I wonder if a little mini guy could finish dinner at Nectar.

The Little People of American, an advocacy group, is all worked up about this show. The thing is, though, everyone on reality TV is that little...

Edited by morela (log)

I wonder if other cities eGullet threads make as bizarre or as deviant a subject changes as ours do?

And I can't tell if Mark was making a play on words in his last post...

As in 'fidget' rhymes with...

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

not to jump back on-topic, but oh joy! My mother and I went to Nectar Saturday evening, after seeing a concert at the Kennedy Center. I confused the locations of Nectar and Circle Bistro, which meant that we were well and frozen by the time we made it back into Nectar's warm embrace. Jared spooked me by recognizing my egullet self, and then proceeded to charm the hell out of my mother and I, giving us a tasting menu with absolutely lovely wines. highlights:

Oysters. oh my. We're from Iowa--we don't get those often--and certaintly not ones that taste like the sea of stories and not the phosphate-drenched one nearby. They were enveloped in a cucumber puree that was lovely, tasty, and entirely superfluous to the pillows of briney goodness.

Soup. We were given a bowl with three sweetbreads (I love these--the name suits the taste so well and the origin so poorly!) and a muddle of buffalo yogurt. Jared and our waiter then poured a stream of soft-orange pumpkin and sweet potato soup into the bowl, which curled with the yogurt into a gentle crimson explosion, accented by the sweetbread croutons. This is the dish I'm gonna dream of on the next sub-zero evening.

Lobster. Poached lobster tail was okay, the lobster salad to the side was a bit too strong on the celery and mayonnaise for my tastes, but the lentils beneath the lobster were brilliant--absolutely brilliant. Made with a lobster stock and half the contents of the pantry, they had the texture of puys and the taste of baked beans and lobster, which is a much better combination than it sounds.

Duck three ways. At this point, the wine had more than warmed us up, so please forgive my slipping memory. My favorite was a "sandwich" of a turnip disk, sauteed foie gras, and some miracle of duck atop. I fell in love with the first bite and, curious, took a small bite of each layer separately--was very impressed at how not-good the bitter/fatty/sweet layers tasted individually against the perfection of the sandwich.

White Russian Milkshake. 'nuff said.

Cheese course--aie--and we had much fun tasting the stinking varieties, and then sipping the wine, A. Mano Primetivo, and then tasting the stink again.

desserts--baked alaska and an appley-thing with balsamic vinegar amidst a pastry sheet. This was our least favorite course, but desserts are so individual that it's likely that these just didn't hit our taste buds. The Alaska had a lovely play of flavors against the ginger brandy sauce, but the appley-thing just didn't quite do it.

The wines throughout were great fun--we drank far more than we usually do, and enjoyed every glass, both in its own right and a result of Jared's sparkling stories (which got far more sparkling as the wine progressed, somehow.... :rolleyes:) Once home again, I looked up some of the labels and was stunned to recognize many of them. They've never tasted as good at my table! Am hereby inspired to play.

The only jarring spot of the evening was in the backdoor of the main room. Everything else is so breathtakingly comforting--glowing orange and yellow walls, lovely Italian teardrops of lights--and then, at the back of the room, a leakage of warmth through the tall glass doors into the cold, cold, ugly parking lot of the hotel next door, which my mother was facing. Frosted glass? painted glass? anything to finish the little coccoon for those who've stumbled in to escape the ugly winter and are seated facing it?