• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nectar

this generation's Jim Morrison

Is that something you would want to be?

Probably not an accurate portrayal, Bill, but Jarad came out last night, draped in seaweed (or was that his Gucci tie), and started singing in a haunting and monotonic voice:

I am the Agar-Agar King ... I can do anything ...

Jarad and Jamison are often thought of in tandem, inseparable, like Abbott and Costello, Penn and Teller, Laurel and Hardy, so carrying this to its logical conclusion, I took two individual photographs I have of them and ran them through a morphing algorithm I have on my computer, only to get the following result:

http://www.elvis-costello.net/gallery/details.php?image_id=6

Fearing reprisal,

Rocks.

Idle hands are the Devil's work.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I took two individual photographs I have of them and ran them through a morphing algorithm I have on my computer, only to get the following result:

Two such good-looking men that even morphed together they still look pretty darn good!! :biggrin: (Ha!!!)

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

• 2 weeks later...

Another reason why this place is a force to be reckoned with?

Bacon-scented air fresheners. Mr. Slipp was kind enough to give one to me as a XMAS gift. Anyone who has bacon on the brain as much as he deserves appropriate commendations.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Bacon-scented air fresheners. Mr. Slipp was kind enough to give one to me as a XMAS gift. Anyone who has bacon on the brain as much as he deserves appropriate commendations.

That's insane! I must have one of these. Who sells them?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I would marry a man whose home always smelled of bacon. Man-made incense or not...

:wub:

funky fresh!

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

:sad:

I just got a call from Jamison cancelling our pre-theater reservation for Friday. What a bummer, especially since we had to cancel our reservations there last summer.

The good news is that he's cancelling due to an equipment installation. Apparently they're expanding. They deserve some nice new stoves after all the great reviews.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

There’s nothing like a warm sunny day in the middle of winter to help me cope with that end of vacation feeling, post-holiday exhaustion, and the dread of a demanding work week.

But alone, the weather couldn't save me. It was my Sunday supper at Nectar.

Last night was a quiet one at Nectar; the kitchen needed to be tucked in early to ready for its scheduled day of surgery (more expansion ). My pal, Cory, and I claimed the bar our own and, with ease, accepted Jamison’s (and Alex’s) kind invitation to try their duck confit; the last one ever plated in the original kitchen space. This duck confit with a foie gras salad, no doubt, will soon be a dealmaker in the power lunch scene.

Picture a nectarous leg of confit, crisp, yet daintily slipping off the bone when it is stroked with the fork...on a little island of caramelized onions, the pan-seared foie gras (a few pieces), partnered with a bed of greens, a bit of asparagus, green beans, a few quarter-sized slices of potato, delicate cubes of a blue cheese, just small enough, as not to overpower. Oh, and there were some pistachios scattered on the plate.

It was truly spectacular; a beautiful dish, and I can’t wait to go back and explore more of the new menu.

And to finish, cheese, of course. For certain the most consistent, the most professionally presented and highest quality plate of cheeses in the city. This, as many know, thanks to that fox, Jarad Slipp, and his commitment to only the very best...from the sweet and the savory, right down to the very knot of his tie.

Nectar is always a lead runner in improving my week and it’s one of those places I could go to enjoy the same elixir, in the same chair, again and again. It’s a place I like to either go alone or with my closest friends (though, I wouldn’t skip this treat with lesser company). Nectar is my self-communion.

The dishes last night, the warmth of the staff...another true reminder why Washingtonian Magazine isn’t a food or wine magazine . To have completely overlooked this place makes that glistening magazine cover look like the best bathroom mat in town. A huge omission on all levels of food critique, I know . And, indeed, a disservice to those who might actually be reading the magazine ...in the insipid ambiance of their bathrooms.

Thanks Jamison and Alex for all you do to make your house glow! Jarad, great suits too.

Edited by morela (log)

In a way, I'm glad it's not in Washingtonian, true food lovers will find Nectar and places similar either through word of mouth from people they trust or from sites like this. Let people who pick their restaurants based on Washingtonian go to the same old tired places! :biggrin:

Edited by Tweaked (log)

Tell us more about the new menu! I can hardly wait for my birthday celebration there on the 24th... :raz:

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Tell us more about the new menu! I can hardly wait for my birthday celebration there on the 24th... :raz:

Sara,

I'll for sure keep you posted.... and your birthday!!

I'm going to see that you get a bacon-scented air freshener too; we already know you'll have a good meal. :wink:

Now don't tease me...You'd better deliver on that promise!!

:shock:

(You think I'm kidding...)

-- William Grimes

We had a lovely time in the back bar at Nectar last night, and even ran into a couple of fellow eGulleteers.

As of last night, they have added a stunning little bowl of mussels to their menu. A pitcher of light curried cream is poured over them at the table. Be sure to get plenty of extra bread to soak it all up.

Next up was a study of duck and turnips. In the center of the plate, between perfect pink slices of breast and a crispy leg confit was a fat slab of foie sandwiched between two sticky carmelized slices of turnip. The creamy savory richness of foie gras has, by now, been paired with the sweetness of every fruit under the sun, from figs to blackberries to bananas. But in this case, Jamison has carmelized the starches of a root vegetable to produce a similiarly balanced, but altogether exciting combination.

Cheese was brilliant as usual as was the winter berry cobbler with a warm white russian milkshake.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

winter berry cobbler with a warm white russian milkshake.

COuld you please describe the milkshake? It sounds delicious. :rolleyes:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

That dessert is very similar to one I had during the summer with great white cherries in the cobbler. I loved the idea of the two very disparate parts of the dessert. The shake was a creamy, sweet version of the drink, tasting just like you would think, including the taste of the liquor. Very good stuff.

Bill Russell

It tastes exactly like a warm white russian (kahlua+vodka+milk), frothed up and served in a champagne flute. Apparently, some diners pour it over the cobbler as a sauce, while others sip it as we did. My wife liked it so much she ordered a second one.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

• 2 weeks later...

I awoke today completely exhausted and still beaming from last night's incredible birthday meal at Nectar. Jared and Jamie completely outdid themselves, this is truly, IMO, the BEST restaurant in Washington, and perhaps the best among Philadelphia and DC (my two homebases). I am continually astounded at Jamie's intense creativity in the kitchen, Jared's considerate, humorous, and always on-target service, and the extent to which one can completely love a meal and learn a ton at Nectar.

LiamDC, mazman, and I were treated to a birthday tasting menu, with matching wines. A total of 6 courses and 8 wines, one of which was provided by mazman (a remarkable 2000 Stephen Ross Santa Maria Pinot Noir).

We had:

1. Oysters (Hurricane Bay, from PEI) with a cucumber gelee--this was a BIG improvement over the last version of this dish, the sweet oysters matched up perfectly with the newly intensified cucumber and the bit of mustard thrown in was a great touch. Wine: Privat Opus Evolutium NV.

2. Soup of duck confit, turnips, eggs, duck consomme. Outstanding, perfect dish. Reminiscent of a Chinese soup but 10 times better. Wine: Romano Cleilia Fiano de Avellino, 2002. For this course, Jared brought me the lovely Porteguese bread with the crusts cut off (I hate crusts!). What a man!!

3. Salmon, pan-friend with smoked beets, potato tuille, oestra creme fraiche. We had this with the astoundingly complex Pinot Noir provided by Chris...an absolute match to really high quality salmon, and those superb beets.

4. Hangar Steak, potatoes. Very nice, hearty dish. Wine: Quinta Do Vale Donna Maria, Pouro Tinto 2000. Made of 14 grapes, this was wonderful wine.

5. Cheese Course: Labecou Feiulle, Tallegio, Laguiole, Roquefort "Pappion", Affidelice. Oh my, the stinkiest of these could be spread with a spoon--fabulous! All different, all revelations. Wines: 1999 Rolet Vin de Paille (with the Roquefort), Moreau Sauvignon de Saint-Bris 2002. The former was especially gorgeous.

6. Apple Pie, Cobbler, Alaska, Milkshake. I adored the white russian milkshake as always, and swooned over the Alaska...fabulous! Wines: Appreval, Pommeau de Normadie, NV; Domaine Pichot Vouvray Moelleux 1990.

I spent my last two birthdays at Morimoto and Vetri, both in Philly. This meal surpassed those 100 times over. We spent over 4 hrs at Nectar, and wouldn't for a moment wished we were anywhere else. What a terrific kickoff to my 27th year--thanks Jamie and Jared (and Liam and Chris)!!! :raz:

-- William Grimes

Nectar is one of the few places in DC that I've found which aspires to a high level of service, ambiance, food preparation, food presentation, and food quality and actually pulls each element off. We certainly need more restaurants in DC that have such high aspirations, to say nothing of needing more that can actually deliver.

That said, the oysters and the cheese course on Saturday evening were exquisite. And I certainly hope that I might find the duck confit soup on the menu during my next visit as well! Medals to the following wines (in no particular order): 2000 Stephen Ross Santa Maria Pinot Noir, 2000 Quinta Do Vale Donna Maria Pouro Tinto, 1999 Rolet Vin de Paille.

Thanks to Jared & Jamie for a magical experience.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

I have had several wonderful meals at Nectar and it has become the place I go to when I want to wow friends. While the service I have received has been spectacular, I had a strange experience a few weeks back. I was dining solo at the bar. There was another diner and two wine reps there as well. The bartender was very helpful with my wine pairings but Jarad had a sarcastic comment about everyone's orders. He either criticized their own selections or complained about the requests for recommendations. While I realize that this was probably because he had his buddies the wine reps watching him work, it was strange to hear as a customer. I certainly feel compelled to make strong selections when I go there now (not that this is hard to do with their interesting wine list).

While I realize that this was probably because he had his buddies the wine reps watching him work, it was strange to hear as a customer. I certainly feel compelled to make strong selections when I go there now (not that this is hard to do with their interesting wine list).

This is actually one of Jared's strengths--speaking his mind and inspiring others to aspire to better wine and dining choices. He challenges his customers, doesn't hesitate to disagree with their opinions, and in doing so, makes even the foodiest foodie think more carefully. He may not always be right, but at least he's provocative, and that attitude stands up well with Jamie's opinionated cuisine. The combination works.

-- William Grimes

I'm all for making suggestions and helping people maximize their enjoyment but it didn't seem to me that his tone (dripping with sarcasm) would achieve that result. Also, these comments were not being made to the customers but to the peanut gallery dining at the bar (I realize I didn't make that clear -- sorry).

I'm all for making suggestions and helping people maximize their enjoyment but it didn't seem to me that his tone (dripping with sarcasm) would achieve that result.  Also, these comments were not being made to the customers but to the peanut gallery dining at the bar (I realize I didn't make that clear -- sorry).

To know him is to love him :laugh: Next time you are there, ask him to expound on clams or donkeys.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark