• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Malaysia Restaurants

hello

I need some help from those familiar with restaurants in Malaysia.

Basically I am going to KL and Penang in November and would like some recommendations, i like everything so from hawker stands to top level restuarants if its good i want to know :smile: .

Also i need to take my girlfriend's parents for dinner one night

so would like a place that would impress

ie: a well known and established restaurant with an excellent reputation. reasonably expensive but not so expensive that i come across as a flash git.

thanks you in advance.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Hi origamicrane

There's various recommendations in the pinned thread Eateries in Malaysia.

On where to take your girlfriend's parents, what type of cuisine are you looking for? Is this in Penang or KL?

hi dinner with girlfriends parents will be in KL.

It the first time meeting them but I believe they are typical malaysian chinese.

So I would imagine something pretty traditional nothing western or fusion

think i be safer to stick to asian cooking but in some classy surroundings

any places come to mind? :smile:

hi dinner with girlfriends parents will be in KL.

It the first time meeting them but I believe they are typical malaysian chinese.

So I would imagine something pretty traditional nothing western or fusion

think i be safer to stick to asian cooking but in some classy surroundings

any places come to mind?  :smile:

How about the revolving restaurant atop the KL tower? :smile:

What makes you think they're gonna let you pay?  :wink:

because i'm gonna give the waiter my credit card before they arrive :wink: this ain't no amateur night you know :cool:
How about the revolving restaurant atop the KL tower? 
makes sense, nice surroundings, whats the food like?
Do they live in KL or PJ or somewhere else? Some folks don't like to travel too far for dinner.
Should be KL as she said she only about 20 minutes drive from klcc

How about the revolving restaurant atop the KL tower? 

makes sense, nice surroundings, whats the food like?

East...rather, Msian, meets West. The one time we went was at least 10 years ago, so I can't speak for the food, but yes, it has a wonderful view of KL and beyond on a clear night. See the reviews for yourself.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

On hawker food, we'll be taking a foreign eGulleteer (or 2 or 3) to sample as wide a range as is humanly possible on August 31. I suppose we'll do an update after that.

Can't make any other recommendations now...too sleepy. Nitey nite.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Hmmm...ok here are my suggestions if you're looking for Chinese food in fine surroundings with good reputations in the vicinity of KLCC:

- Noble House - there was a recent write-up in one of the local papers and the exec chef has an impressive string of awards.

- Xin Cuisine at Concorde Hotel - this is an old favourite ... sigh wish my office was still next door ... I need a dim sum fix :raz:

- Golden Phoenix at Equatorial Hotel

Other reliable Chinese restaurants in KL (not as pretty surroundings though) are:

- Oversea (Jalan Imbi outlet)

- Tai Thong (Imbi outlet ...but Selangor Dredging outlet is probably looks more impressive, easier parking too)

- Hakka Restaurant

If you'd like to impress the girlfriend's parents with abalone and sharksfin, Ah Yat Kor at Swiss Garden Hotel might be a good choice.

Shiewie, you're making me hungry. I'll say 'Aye' to all of them, though I haven't been to Ah Yat Kor and Noble House, but have been to their PJ counterpart Oriental.

Sam, your gf is Msian, right? Does she have any favourites or know which is her parent's favs?

You'll be feeding at least 5 people here for the same amount you pay for one person's London restaurant dining. If that is not enough to tickle you, your loose change will be enough to satisfactorily fill you where hawker food is concerned.

How long will you be in KL?

Edited a major boo-boo...forgot to insert one person

:shock:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Thanks for the suggestions :smile:

not sure about the parents favourites will have to find out

i'm assuming they not going to be too adventurous but if they are not a problem.

Going to be in KL 5 day and Penang 5 days.

What makes you think they're gonna let you pay?  :wink:

because i'm gonna give the waiter my credit card before they arrive

:wink:

Um...is that wise? Someone told me not to even let my credit card go out of sight. I've got my card cloned twice already, so can't help being paranoid. :wink:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Um...is that wise? Someone told me not to even let my credit card go out of sight. I've got my card cloned twice already, so can't help being paranoid. :wink:

I was thinking the same thing. The waiter would gladly take it... and phone-order some new shoes with the card... :wink:

It happened.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I was thinking the same thing. The waiter would gladly take it... and phone-order some new shoes with the card... :wink:

It happened.

Thats true, happens here in London too.

I'm hoping that the place i'm taking the parents to will be a higher class joint and hopefully will attract less criminal activity. :raz:

besides my card got pretty good fraud protection (although it is a hassle).

Other options are to pay the bill in advance or

sneak away from the table to pay the bill. :rolleyes:

ori, your credit card details will be available for download from a server in Kamchatka before your meal is over. Kids in Tuvalu will be putting the downpayment to a yacht on your gold amex.

Just a quiet word to the captain to the effect that you're the host, and under no circumstances should the bill go to anyone else but you, should suffice.

I had a very enjoyable meal at Hakka restaurant. Excellent steamed fish (chiekak) with ginger sauce. Enjoyed all the Hakka favorites. The decor is not your glitzy michelin starred joint but Malaysians generally don't care too much about that stuff.

Seemed to be popular with foreigners/ex-pats. Saw a lot of wine being served. Can someone tell me if the restaurant keeps a wine list or was it more likely BYO?

If you like fish, Malaysia has some good eating fresh water fish.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with all the various suggestions for the Chinese restaurants above. All tried and tested and considered "safe" for bringing the parents :) Generally speaking the Chinese restaurants within the hotels tend to have better decor and a more refined atmosphere, as compared to the standalone restaurants. However, being in hotels also means they are commonly "halal" so no pork will be served.

Costing will depend entirely on what you order - normally seafood are the premium items. Or you can also order Peking Duck or Suckling Pig to raise the dinner a notch.

Ok, for something different but still oriental you can try Eest Restaurant at the Westin Hotel.

I don't think Chs restaurants in KL hotels are halal, unless they advertise as being so. I've eaten porky treats for dim sum and other meals at Xin (the Concorde) and the Chs resto in the Hilton (very upscale, and tasty), for instance. And I've been advised the xiaolongbao at the JW Marriott are good ... I'm betting my advisor would not reco veggie xiaolongbao (you know who you are).

Veggie xiao loong bao?!! :biggrin:

Errr... actually there is a mixture of both halal and non-halal Chinese restaurants in the hotels in KL - for e.g. the ones in Mandarin Oriental and Sheraton Imperial are halal. Have tried the halal dim sum there and they're actually quite good - Mandarin Oriental's is innovative dim sum while Sheraton's is more traditional Cantonese.

All the hotels have separate banquet restaurants that dish up halal Chinese food for wedding banquets, birthday dinners etc held at the function rooms.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hawkerfood.jpg

Other than hawker food I recommended above, there are a few restaurants that I would like to recommend:

Goh Huat Seng Restaurant

59A Lebuh Kimberly

10100 Penang

Tel: 04-2615811, 04-2615646

My favorite Chinese restaurant in Penang. The food is excellent and the price is very cheap.

I recommend stir-fried oysters with taucheo (fermented yellow bean sauce), crab rolls, stir-fried spinach with dried fish, braised duck, and their flagship steamboat.

Goh Swee Kee Restaurant

5 Jalan Seri Bahari

10500 Penang

Tel: 04-263-6932

I recommend Teowchew steamed fish and home-made prawn balls.

Ang Hoay Lor

5H Jalan Rangoon

10400 Penang

Tel: 04-2285378

I recommend stir-fried bean curd with leeks (Tau Kua Suan Nah) and noodles fried with oysters.

----------------

Check out Rasa Malaysia - http://www.rasamalaysia.com

Asian food and cooking recipes: http://www.rasamalaysia.com

• 2 months later...

I'm off to KL in a week or so for CNY (first time for CNY so it's very exciting).

What are the latest and greatest places to eat in KL?

I am particularly interested in any good malay food places. I seem to find it really hard to find good malay food places.

Also of great interest are good seafood (chilli crab / marmite crab), and good chinese food places especially out towards Cheras.

Cheers,

Harry

Good Malay food? One of them is Rebung. You can see a review and my pix here. Shiewie should have more to recommend. If I want good Malay food, I usually go to the stalls near my house. Cheap and delicious pick your dishes lunches and breakfast.

Will check with Cheras friends on good eats. Get back to you.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)