• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Malaysia Restaurants

Oh yumm! Is this from the shop where the Penang road chendol shop is? Hmmm... no kerang / see ham (cockles) :hmmm:? Looking at the size of the serving, think I'll need two plates of char kway teow though :biggrin:.

gallery_15514_905_265062.jpg

Yes Shewie! It's from the same shop that sells the wonderful chendol. Actually the Assam Laksa is pretty good too :)

I ordered the CKT without cockles and I had taken 3 bites of the dish before I remembered to take a picture of it. Sorry, rookie mistake.

%7Boption%7D

I ordered the CKT without cockles and I had taken 3 bites of the dish before I remembered to take a picture of it. Sorry, rookie mistake.

:laugh: That happens to me quite often too - once the food food comes, I've forgotten all about the pictures. And if I do remember, there are usually others at the table who can't wait!

Since we're posting pictures of laksa... :biggrin:

Haha - I want to play too :laugh:.

Here's one of curry laksa from one of the bistros in KL serving prettified hawker-style fare - I'm afraid this looks a lot better than it tastes (so am not naming the eatery since it doesn't deserve to be here). There's a lot of lieu/liao/goodies in it but the curry was bland and insipid - tossing the whole plate of sambal only helped marginally.

gallery_3270_915_31001.jpg

THIS IS NOT FAIR!!!!! :-(

Won't be back on 'tanah air' for a while man... got to make do with this Singaporean run Nasi Lemak place, and a subway stop in Sydney for Laksa and roti, but NEVER EVER CKT man!!!! And COCKLES!!! SEE-HUM!!!

Sorry for yelling, but this has gone too far!!!!!!!

Will start looking for cheap package deals tomorrow for a month's advance departure... I'm so serious this thread has me compromising a month's mortage payment to go EAT!!!!

But seriously, now that I've calmed down a bit, I really won't be compromising much. Will only have airfare to worry about, 'cos mum and dad should take care of the rest. All is good in the world!

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Oh wait, I just realized that we're talking about Malaysia (smacks self upside da head!)  - oh well :shock:

I see no reason why you shouldn't post lontong pics in this thread. I just ate some when I was in KL.

So you have lontong in Indonesia, too? Fancy that! :raz:

Edited by Laksa (log)

• 2 weeks later...

"Uncle" Yap Yak Foo, a man I've met and some of you KL-area folks may know, recommended a place called Beef Village Noodle House in KL in a post on the soc.culture.malaysia newsgroup a few hours ago:

Last night, I went for dinner to a new restaurant in Danau Desa.

Beef Village Noodle House serves the local popular 'ngow lam'

(the entrails or insides of bovine creatures)

with the usual sorts of noodles. I will rate it as good as the stall

behind Tung Shin Hospital except that the price is about 50% more but

then to pay RM7.50 for what a street stall will charge RM5.00 in the

luxury of a clean air-con place is worth the absence of funny smells

and mosquitoes.

For those interested, the address is

17/19 Plaza Danau 2, Jalan 5/109F, off Jalan Klang Lama, Taman Danau

Desa, 58100 KL. The manager is Mr Foong (012-2384339)

Any of you know this place?

Michael aka "Pan"

Michael, this is practically a stone's throw away...haven't tried it though. Well, my doc isn't too happy with my cholesterol level, so I've been good and have been avoiding innards for some time. If only I can keep away from desserts and ice-cream and chocolates and...

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

gallery_21246_882_12057.jpg

Sarawak laksa, with a glass of soy bean milk.  The laksa might look a little plain (most of the goodies are hidden underneath the beehoon), but tastes absolutely heavenly.

Your picture of the Sarawak Laksa reminded me of a great Sarawak Laksa we had a few years ago when living in KL, in a cafe called Alexis in the Bangsar area. We miss it dearly!!

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_21246_882_12057.jpg

Sarawak laksa, with a glass of soy bean milk.  The laksa might look a little plain (most of the goodies are hidden underneath the beehoon), but tastes absolutely heavenly.

Your picture of the Sarawak Laksa reminded me of a great Sarawak Laksa we had a few years ago when living in KL, in a cafe called Alexis in the Bangsar area. We miss it dearly!!

Alexis - yeah, they used to serve a mean laksa - but we don't go to posh places to eat hawker food - :wink: in fact there was a coffee shop at the top of the road that used to serve great laksa.

Aiyah, you all are so bad - posting pics of delicious meals. I was so thrilled I got chee cheong fun from Chinatown the other day - I haven't been home for two years now. :sad:

Yeah, I remember Alexis was one of the posh places, although we always forget about the surroundings and only focus on the laksa and their black and white cakes.

Really miss the BBQ pork from those couple of hawker stalls, too many years ago completely forgot about their names!

Best Cha-siu is behind Jalan Imbi near all them bridal shops. On a corner, a hawker stall in a kopi-tiam, next to the Hainanese Chicken Rice dude.

BEst siu-yook... aiyah, need to ask my dad now... but the Yong Len Coffee Shop in TTDI serves up an AWESOME siu-yook and crispy roast chicken....

What's siu-yook?

Roast pork - it's usually sold at the chicken rice stalls.

CRISPY skin roast pork to be specific, so as to not confuse it with 'char-siu'.

• 2 months later...

SARI INDAH of Jakarta just opened at The Alamanda, Putrajaya.

Great food, surprisingly reasonable price, real cozy ambience and great service.

They've only been opened for about 2 weeks and we've been there about half a dozen times. :biggrin:

Wow, people actually LIVE in Putrajaya?

And good food too??

I've only eaten at government department cafeterias where the ayam goreng is always surprisingly good.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, people actually LIVE in Putrajaya?

And good food too??

I've only eaten at government department cafeterias where the ayam goreng is always surprisingly good.

Heh heh ... :biggrin: The population in Putrajaya 3 years ago was 30K. It has grown since then. That The Alamanda now has a McDonalds. When I went on a kitchen tour of McD back when, I was told that they do not open an outlet unless there's a minimum of 60K. So, I guess Putrajaya now has over 60 000 residents.

The Alamanda is like a food haven. From it's food court to simple restaurant to fine dining outlets.

You should visit and explore next when you come over.