• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's The Strangest Food Book in Your Collection?

The strangest food book in my collection is easily the one written by Vincent Price and his wife.  I forget its title... A Treasury of Great Recipes perhaps?

I've got that one too... It's over-the-top in presentation... The gold on the cover cracks me up. Has anyone tried any recipes from it? I particularly like seeing the menus and photos from the classic restaurants.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

The strangest food book in my collection is easily the one written by Vincent Price and his wife.  I forget its title... A Treasury of Great Recipes perhaps?

I've got that one too... It's over-the-top in presentation... The gold on the cover cracks me up. Has anyone tried any recipes from it? I particularly like seeing the menus and photos from the classic restaurants.

Wowzers. Yes, bride and I have it, use it on occasion, but have to throttle back on fat content. Even now--- most of the foods are too rich for us to eat-- we've made a few memorable dinner parties from it. And always show the short "Vincent" after dinner with port and cigars.

hvr

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

Wowzers. Yes, bride and I have it, use it on occasion, but have to throttle back on fat content. Even now--- most of the foods are too rich for us to eat-- we've made a few memorable dinner parties from it. And always show the short "Vincent" after dinner with port and cigars.

hvr

Can you recall which of the recipes you've made from the book?

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

hvr

Can you recall which of the recipes you've made from the book?

I've made the potted shrimp for (sorry, can't find the page #) the icebox cake (page 254), and the oatmeal lace cookies (page 307) - all lovely.

"A Mormon Cookbook: Food, Facts & Friendship", which a friend bought for me in a gas station in Idaho. It contains recipes for "Apples slices and Peanut butter" (just that) and "Polygamist Potato Pancakes".

It's not really all that strange, I guess, but since I own a total of 4 cookbooks altogether (How To Cook Everything; a book of handwritten recipes from a Thai friend; a small Vietnamese cookbook, and A Mormon Cookbook) it kind of sticks out.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's one that I received as a gift (jokingly given): "Endangered Species Cookbook", by Buck Peterson.

So what's wrong with that? I love spotted owl. It tastes just like a cross between bald eagle and condor! Yumbola!

:laugh: hvr

(gd&r) :biggrin:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

I have a book that discusses the best way to raise pigeons for the table. Not entirely strange in its own right, but its the strangest one I have.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Not necessarily strange, but amusing: Saucepans and the Single Girl - think Sex and the City guide to entertaining friends/men circa 1965. Apparently there was a reissue of it last year. It's cute (hey, it was a different time) and the recipes seem pretty reasonable (haven't ever tried them though). It's male counterpart, I forget the title but something about loves and meatloaf, isn't nearly as endearing.

I've also got a copy of the Vincent Price book. Love the padded copper cover and gold edged pages. :)

• Similar Content

• By Rushina
      What would you like to be included in a cookbook you classify as a "good cookbook"?
      Rushina
    • By Multiwagon
      Other than the three written by Michael Ruhlman, which I have read and loved, what other books are out there that are about cooking, but not cookbooks?
    • By OliverB
      I just received a copy of "The Cook's Book - Concise Edition" edited by Jill Norman, and now I'm curious, what's the difference to the full edition? Supposedly it has 648 pages compared to 496 in this edition, and it appears to be much larger in size if the info on us.dk.com is correct. Other than that I can't find any info what the difference might be. It's a neat book with lots of photos about techniques etc, and lots of recipes. As with any DK book production values are high.
      If the contents are the same, I'm happy with the smaller version, but I'd really like to know what I might be missing on those 150 or so pages. If it's just filler, I don't care. If it's some fantastic recipes, I do care....
      Anybody here know both editions? Google was so far of no help. Lots of the full edition are to be had used as well, I'd be happy giving this one as a gift and ordering the full edition, if it's worth it.
      Thanks!
      Oliver
    • By devlin
      Say you were rounded up with a group of folks and either had a skill to offer in exchange for a comfy room and some other niceties or were sent off to a slag heap to toil away in the hot sun every day for 16 hours, what 3 books would you want to take with you to enable you to cook and bake such fabulous foodstuffs that your kidnappers would keep you over some poor schlub who could cook only beans and rice and the occasional dry biscuit?
    • By mixmaster b
      I am interested in getting some cookbooks that cover the basics of pastry and baking--not bread, necessarily, but dessert, cakes, cookies, etc. I searched a few other cookbook threads but did not have luck on finding books on pastry.
      My interest is in fairly classic French and European style baking, and I need a book that covers technique. Pictures would also be much appreciated--I like both the step by step pix or great pictures of the end product.
      Right now, I have Desserts and Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme. (I love these and have had good results from the recipes, but feel I should start with a more classic approach.) La Varenne Pratique has provided some good starting points, but I would like to find a book with more focus on baking.
      I was thinking about the Payard book. Any comments? Suggestions would be much appreciated! In case it applies, I am a home cook and am slightly more skilled than a total beginner.
      Thanks!