• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's The Strangest Food Book in Your Collection?

The strangest food book in my collection is easily the one written by Vincent Price and his wife.  I forget its title... A Treasury of Great Recipes perhaps?

I've got that one too... It's over-the-top in presentation... The gold on the cover cracks me up. Has anyone tried any recipes from it? I particularly like seeing the menus and photos from the classic restaurants.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

The strangest food book in my collection is easily the one written by Vincent Price and his wife.  I forget its title... A Treasury of Great Recipes perhaps?

I've got that one too... It's over-the-top in presentation... The gold on the cover cracks me up. Has anyone tried any recipes from it? I particularly like seeing the menus and photos from the classic restaurants.

Wowzers. Yes, bride and I have it, use it on occasion, but have to throttle back on fat content. Even now--- most of the foods are too rich for us to eat-- we've made a few memorable dinner parties from it. And always show the short "Vincent" after dinner with port and cigars.

hvr

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

Wowzers. Yes, bride and I have it, use it on occasion, but have to throttle back on fat content. Even now--- most of the foods are too rich for us to eat-- we've made a few memorable dinner parties from it. And always show the short "Vincent" after dinner with port and cigars.

hvr

Can you recall which of the recipes you've made from the book?

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

hvr

Can you recall which of the recipes you've made from the book?

I've made the potted shrimp for (sorry, can't find the page #) the icebox cake (page 254), and the oatmeal lace cookies (page 307) - all lovely.

"A Mormon Cookbook: Food, Facts & Friendship", which a friend bought for me in a gas station in Idaho. It contains recipes for "Apples slices and Peanut butter" (just that) and "Polygamist Potato Pancakes".

It's not really all that strange, I guess, but since I own a total of 4 cookbooks altogether (How To Cook Everything; a book of handwritten recipes from a Thai friend; a small Vietnamese cookbook, and A Mormon Cookbook) it kind of sticks out.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's one that I received as a gift (jokingly given): "Endangered Species Cookbook", by Buck Peterson.

So what's wrong with that? I love spotted owl. It tastes just like a cross between bald eagle and condor! Yumbola!

:laugh: hvr

(gd&r) :biggrin:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

Not necessarily strange, but amusing: Saucepans and the Single Girl - think Sex and the City guide to entertaining friends/men circa 1965. Apparently there was a reissue of it last year. It's cute (hey, it was a different time) and the recipes seem pretty reasonable (haven't ever tried them though). It's male counterpart, I forget the title but something about loves and meatloaf, isn't nearly as endearing.

I've also got a copy of the Vincent Price book. Love the padded copper cover and gold edged pages. :)