• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fried Chicken Debate: Deep Fried or Pan Fried?

jhlurie

Predictably...

Some studies are now finding that palm and coconut oils aren't as bad as once thought. This seems to be leading to the further incrimination of the trans fats, which don't occur in nature (I don't think) but are a product of those nasty old food chemists messing with Mother Nature again.

If you are not confused... you aren't listening.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Some studies are now finding that palm and coconut oils aren't as bad as once thought.

Were there ever any studies that demonstrated a problem with them? I thought the whole anti-tropical-oils campaign had been exposed as a fraud years ago.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

You might be right FG. I just remember something made me feel guilty using all of that coconut milk in my Thai curries and the palm oil in my popcorn. That was before I decided "To hell with it!" and proceeded to use what tastes good, works for the job at hand, and maybe had some passing resemblance to a natural product. With the exception of fried chicken, of course. In the absence of lard, Crisco rules. But then, you don't eat that every day.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose