• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2003/04 NJ Zagat

Rosie

Perhaps Andrea Klurfeld can take a lead from Mr Klein and come aboard the NJ Egullet and answer some of the unfinished business discussed in the last 3 pages here?

Given the whipping that Ms. Clurfield has recieved on these forums I doubt she would be amenable to posting here.

I don't believe she's taken a whipping here at all. There was never anything derogatory about her at all. Her silence speaks words, that's all.

As a bush league foodie, do I need to have a copy in my car for desperate times?

I don't think its that influential, but it can be helpful..if you're in an area that you are not familiar with, you can usually determine the "feel" of the restaurant by the descriptions...I don't put any credenc on the food ratings, but " great chocolate martiniis at the yuppie packed bar" or " peppered with ladies who lunch" descriptions can give good clues to the general atmosphere of a place.

Kim, you've been posting here for quite a while (four days less than I have), I've not read all your 1600 posts, but I think it's fairly safe for me to say you're one of our more sophisticated and knowledgable diners and I think our membership is above average in those categories. I won't even attempt to argue why I think it's also above the Zagat readership average, but if you place more regard on the few lines of the arbitrary text that accompanies every listing in the survey than to the rating, that would seem to give lie to the claim the publisher's continually make about the survey being nothing more than a democratic sampling of diners. The editorial power of those few who control how the comments of thousands of contributors are summed up in the published edition of the survey, is fairly significant.

ou's despair is warranted...I can't even imagine a plausible reason why his restaurant is not included in this book.

I suppose so and it doesn't appear as if there's no editorial input in deciding who get's listed and who's out of the guide.

F Zagat...I tend to agree with Lou...I have swayed towards using it as more of a directory for adresses/areas/phone numbers then anything...

Precisely why just a listing at any rating might be important and why Zagat survey's should want to appear to be above reproach in the manner in which they decide who's in and who's out.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Is it possible for a local editor--out of bias or spite--to exclude a restaurant which has met the minimum threshold of votes?

Yes.

Clurfield has had a long running feud with Casa Comida in Long Branch for like 15 years. She invented the derogatory term "Velveeta Mexican" for that establishment.

Regardless hgow you feel personally about Casa Comida, fact is that it is the oldest, largest and most popular Tex Mex place in Monmouth County and was reviewed in all editions of thew NJ Zagat until Clurfield became editor. Soon after her joining the publication... Poof! Casa Comida entry dissapears.

You make the call.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I don't believe she's taken a whipping here at all. There was never anything derogatory about her at all. Her silence speaks words, that's all.

See my post above...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Precisely why just a listing at any rating might be important and why Zagat survey's should want to appear to be above reproach in the manner in which they decide who's in and who's out.

Apparently, "Above reproach" is not an issue for Zagat; their only issue seems to be how many guides they can sell, and how many decals they can get on restaurant windows (which in turn sell their guides) (Who's promoting whom?!!)

The really sad part of all this is that the major media has not called Zagat on the carpet or raised any challenges at all-- Egullet, it seems, is about the ONLY place where Zagat gets even a peep of a negative review!!

I must add, though, that the fellow who is the editor of the Philly Zagat seems to have been fairly forthcoming on the Eg Philly forum....

Edited by menton1 (log)

if you place more regard on the few lines of the arbitrary text that accompanies every listing in the survey than to the rating, that would seem to give lie to the claim the publisher's continually make about the survey being nothing more than a democratic sampling of diners. The editorial power of those few who control how the comments of thousands of contributors are summed up in the published edition of the survey, is fairly significant.

Thank you for your kind words.

I agree, the issue transcends the rating, and becomes an issue of who is included, and who is not. Which is why Lou's continued frustration is understandable, and Zagat's credibility is further compromised.

To be honest, after a little thinking if it's possible, I would like to take my situation with Zagat's off the board. I think at this point that if I were to be included it would have happened by now. I have the rep. Neverless, this subject is starting to stick to my craw. Who knows why things happen but as of now I'd like to put my efforts into something in my control, not something out of my hands. I thank those that worked on my behalf and Casa Comida's. I'm done on this topic