• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FN/Synergy and Reaching a Representative Whole

In the thread that inspired my membership to eGullet :wub: I remember you stated FN was seeking out to satisfy the regionality of foods and market. (Ms. Paula Deen for her down south goodness comes to mind). But what happened to FN in developing and promoting the exceptional cusine of the Pacific Northwet? What about Tom Douglas? Caprial Pence? For that is where I grew up and unabashedly admit to having a somewhat small bias, but I think is one of the most fabulous for culinary adventures simply out of the sheer abundance of seafoods, produce, cheeses and poultry and the diveristy and vast ethnic influences to that area.

Again, thanks! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
In the thread that inspired my membership to eGullet :wub: I remember you stated FN was seeking out to satisfy the regionality of foods and market.  (Ms. Paula Deen for her down south goodness comes to mind).  But what happened to FN in developing and promoting the exceptional cusine of the Pacific Northwet?  What about Tom Douglas?  Caprial Pence?  For that is where I grew up and unabashedly admit to having a somewhat small bias, but I think is one of the most fabulous for culinary adventures simply out of the sheer abundance of seafoods, produce, cheeses and poultry and the diveristy and vast ethnic influences to that area.

Again, thanks!  :cool:

As you all know, I can only speak for the time that I was at Food Network. I have no idea what has been on the development slate there since my firing October 11, 2000.

In my time there "The exceptional cuisine of the Pacific Northwest" was never considered a must have regional cuisine. The South is a definitive food style that evokes certain imagery to the viewing public, same with Spanish cuisine or Italian or Asian etc...

Also Caprial Pence had her own show on PBS and while I was there never came up in discussion even though a number of us knew her show.

The glories of the mighty Pacific Northwest ,to my knowledge, have been explored in other ways on the network rather than a cooking show. And truthfully I think that is probably the right call.