• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Audience Demographics

Thank you for joining us for this Q&A.

I was wondering if you could share an insiders view of FTV's audience demographics. eGulleteers watch an awful lot of it, but I wonder who else does. What is the audience that watches the network and how does it vary by time slot and program type? Also, how have the demographics shifted and/or expanded over the years, and have these changes been consistent with the goals of the network brass?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Thank you for joining us for this Q&A.

I was wondering if you could share an insiders view of FTV's audience demographics.  eGulleteers watch an awful lot of it, but I wonder who else does.  What is the audience that watches the network and how does it vary by time slot and program type?  Also, how have the demographics shifted and/or expanded over the years, and have these changes been consistent with the goals of the network brass?

This is a really interesting question. Food Network, like all cable networks have a really smart bunch of research people constantly looking at all the variables of this very question.

There is a lot to talk about here but even though a lot of this information can be found in other sources in various ways and is fairly widely known within the cable industry and has been the subject matter of interviews with FN execs over the years...this is essentially private information and business practice to Food Network and Scripps.

Even beyond that, because of the time of my firing...anyone remember the date? Yes, that is right October 11, 2000 (very good girls and boys!) my information, while still propriatary, is probably out of date in some capacity.

So I am shutting up about this one. Sorry.