• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ditka's...

awbrig

Emory and I ventured into Mike Ditka's tonight. The place is very nice, very clubby with leather booths and historic pictures and memorabilia of Football and Baseball long last past. Very cool. It was fun to see NY Yankee fans there along with Emory in his Sosa jersey ribbing him about the corked bat!

The place settings are nice and the service was excellent. The bread was homemade and the butter slab even had Mike D's mug on it... :smile:

I had Ahi Tuna Steaks with Caramelized Onions and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes. Emory had a Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Fries. Drinks were Beringer Merlot and a Kiddy Cocktail.

Actually I loved this place. The ambience was very cool and the service was very friendly and proficient from the front room to our waiter, Adam, to the valet guarding our stroller... :smile:

Try Ditka's, it's not what you expect.

fbfc36bd.jpg

Emory and the leather menu

fbfc36bf.jpg

Specials

fbfc36c0.jpg

Grilled Cheese and Fries

fbfc36c2.jpg

Ahi Tuna with Caramelized Onions and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes

Edited by awbrig (log)

the butter slab even had Mike D's mug on it...

Have you told Charlie Trotter about this?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Dude, they sprinkled stuff on the rim of the plate?

I'll get past that for two reasons:

1) It's a steakhouse

2) You had a kid with you.

As an addendum to number one, I'd think that being a steakhouse, they'd stay away from the frou-frou hype of parsley sprinkling.

I'm glad the meal was good. And you've just given me an idea for a new thread. Thanks!

Da Bears!

Yeah, and there pics of the Superfans on the walls, with Bob Swerski?

And do they have giant Kielbasa sandwiches on the menu?

"Superfans Sketch from SNL" (see bottom of page)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We're going to try it again on Fathers Day this Sunday...here's their Fathers Day specials...

MIKE DITKA’S – Chicago

Father’s Day Featured Items

Brunch – Served from 10am to 3pm

Coconut Shrimp (Appetizer)– Jumbo Shrimp Coated with Coconut and Japanese Bread Crumbs; Deep Fried and Served with Spicy Orange Marmalade Dipping Sauce. $13.99

Grilled Tenderloin Benedict – Grilled Beef Tenderloin Medallions on toasted English muffins with Hollandaise sauce and Cowboy Potatoes. $16.99

Sliced Ham “Off the Bone” – with Sun-Dried Cherry-Orange Sauce, Herb Smashed Potatoes and Asparagus. $14.99

Blackened Chicken Omelet – Three Eggs wrapped around Blackened Chicken Breast, Sauteed Peppers, Caramelized Onions and Melted Pepperjack Cheese with Cowboy Potatoes. $10.99

Eggs Milanese – Three Eggs sunny-side-up over Parma Proscuitto with Asparagus, Sliced Tomatoes, Parmesan and White Truffle Oil. $12.99

Prime Rib – Slow Roasted and Served with Horseradish Cream and Burgundy Mushrooms. 16oz. $26.99 20oz. $31.99

Dinner Steaks and Chops available.  Add Coconut Shrimp to any Steak (Surf & Turf) for an additional $12.00

Dinner – Served from 4pm to 10pm

Coconut Shrimp (Appetizer)– Jumbo Shrimp Coated with Coconut and Japanese Bread Crumbs; Deep Fried and Served with Spicy Orange Marmalade Dipping Sauce. $13.99

Peppercorn Crusted T-Bone Steak – 24oz. Angus T-Bone Chargrilled with a Four-Peppercorn Crust, Served with Garlic Smashed Potatoes and Mushroom Demi-Glace. $32.99

Pan Roasted Alaskan Halibut – Served with Warm Shrimp-Sweet Corn Relish, Southwestern Rice and Chipotle Butter. $24.99

Blackened Prime Rib – Slow Roasted then Blackened and Served with a Roquefort Sauce and Crispy Onion Strings. $26.99

Make any Steak “Surf and Turf” by adding Four Coconut Shrimp for an additional $12.00

***For Dinner – Dad’s will receive a complimentary mini-football autographed by Da’ Coach!  (limited to the first 100)

Mike D's on the butter?

Mike D from the Beastie Boys? When are they going to open a restaurant?

Awbrig, we all know you're going for the autographed football.

Noise is music. All else is food.

That's a mouth watering menu, Awbrig!

The coach is turning in to quite the restauranteur. He has a place in New Orleans as well, as I recall.

Lots of "blackened" offerings, maybe he's swapping chefs around for a menu freshening effect.

I heard that the "Fridge" was the best burger in Chicago.

I thought the football beer tap heads were unique. The laces face the guest with three tap handles on the oposite side. These appear to be made from a cast of an actual football since the detail down to the pebble grain finish on the leather is apparent.