• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What never made it?

What would you like to have developed further that didn't make the airwaves? In view of the current batch of "comedic" less than serious programs I would be interested in the directions you wanted to pursue, given your fabulous track record, would have been brill.

Thank you for your time and attention in this Q&A.

If I can be allowed in adding something to this question. Matthew could you list some top chefs and/or food personalities that tried out for a Food Network program, that never panned out(or top chefs that the Food Network pursued, but they were not interested)? Thanks for joining the Q&A.

-------------

Steve

What would you like to have developed further that didn't make the airwaves?  In view of the current batch of "comedic" less than serious programs I would be interested in the directions you wanted to pursue,  given your fabulous track record, would have been brill.

Thank you for your time and attention in this Q&A.

I was fired October 11, 2000. Any idea that I conceived of while I worked at Food Network is the property of Food Network...While I have no knowledge of the inner workings of FN programming or business strategy since I was dismissed, I would speculate that they probably disposed of all my ideas long ago. I don't mean that in a disparaging way, just that the stuff I was into was largely counter to, in my opinion, to the direction the network was moving...But you never know, something could be sitting around on a list somewhere. And despite the fact that I have written lots of food ideas since my dismissal that are my own I will just keep it general.

Among other things I would say that I was interested in exploring snarky comedy, food as an engine for history/politics, micro-science, religion, and large scale competition. If you are intrigued we can chat offline.

Among other things I would say that I was interested in exploring snarky comedy, food as an engine for history/politics, micro-science, religion, and large scale competition. If you are intrigued we can chat offline.

Why that would be lovely. You, and anyone else who wished to do so can PM, email or instant message anytime! It is always a pleasure to meet another that one can share any one passion and/or enjoyment of anything relating to food, drink and song! :laugh: