• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef

You are credited with "discovering" Iron Chef and bringing it to America.

Can you tell us about some of the challenges and the process of getting Food Network to show this program in the US? Besides the voice talent and the dubbing, what other changes did you have to make for the American market? Would you have done anything different? Is there anything you wanted to do with the show but wasn't approved by TVFN?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 weeks later...
You are credited with "discovering" Iron Chef and bringing it to America.

Can you tell us about some of the challenges and the process of getting Food Network to show this program in the US? Besides the voice talent and the dubbing, what other changes did you have to make for the American market? Would you have done anything different? Is there anything you wanted to do with the show but wasn't approved by TVFN?

fired October 11, 2000. My opinions are my own as are my recollections. In expressing them I in no way intend to defame the Food Network, it business strategies at any point, its programming decisions, or any individual working for Food Network.

The biggest challenge was just getting the show on the air. For more than two years I whinily pitched the show and was summarily rejected. "It was too weird" and things of the like were offered as reasons that the show couldn't work. When the network finally agreed that we should get the show, I knew the hardest part was over. after that was negotiating for the rights with Fuji over a period of months and then airing it.

I really wanted the whole thing subtitled. I was overruled...and I understand why the others felt that way... I think the show is better that way myself. But I think it works pretty well as long as Kaga is subtitled.

that is about it. As for dubbing...it wasn't hard really. Fuji sent us lots of voices and I evaluated them. Then I took my reccomendations to someone else in programming and we signed off on them. pretty straight forward.

Why do you think it necessary for Kaga to be subtitled? I'll admit, I'm lazy; I preferred it in the beginning when he was dubbed too.

kagas voice is so great. it is emotional and emphatic. his cadence and rhythm really add something IMO.

it works the other way, but i think it is purer in the all subbed way.

m