• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Putrid Pitches

Matthew-

Thanks for the Q&A session. We've heard about some of your successes with the Food Network. I'm curious to hear what were some show ideas that you saw or had pitched that were so bad, they were downright funny.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Matthew-

Thanks for the Q&A session.  We've heard about some of your successes with the Food Network.  I'm curious to hear what were some show ideas that you saw or had pitched that were so bad, they were downright funny.

Just as an opener...I was fired from the Food Network on October 11, 2000. My recollections and impressions are only from the time that I was gainfully employed at Food Network. I have no current knowledge of Food Network programming strategy or current business practices. These statements reflect my personal opinion only.

The general ideas that I will refer to were rejected by the entire programming staff of Food Network at the time I was there and were rejected in written form near to the time of their submission. I have no knowledge of any current programming in development. If these ideas in any way resemble current ideas in development at Food Network it is strictly coincidental...

ok. i feel i should vague here...

hirsuite gladiator. aphrodisiac cuisine. cardboard set. pilot was dead serious.

another was a simultaneously bilingual cooking show with a bilingial chef spanish guitar playing actress who guest starred on many episodes of "the love boat" and a famous former latenight television sidekick .

that was one that was so special. we kept that one around to watch. we used to howl at that one.

those two stand out.

i'll think if there are more...

Oh my god... Charo? Coochi Coochi? I'd pay to see that.

I'm supposing that there are MANY possibilities for "a bilingial chef spanish guitar playing actress who guest starred on many episodes of 'the love boat'". Er. Okay, I tried. I can't think of more.

"A famous former latenight television sidekick?" Hmm. That one intrigues me. Did this person also formerly host a really lame talent contest? :wink: Or was he the other one who went on to have a sitcom on FOX which got no airplay?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"