• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodmart International

Just saw this post on CH:

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/tristate/m...ages/11396.html

This makes Ridgefield/North Bergen a MAJOR food shopping destination now, with Han Ah Reum being just down the road.

If you guys remember, this is the one that closed in Jersey City. I'm curious as to how their meat and fish prices will compare to Han Ah Reum and what the quality of their stuff will be. Han Ah Reum is pretty tough to beat.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Tommy and Jason:

If you'd like, I'll head over to the Foodmart International store in Rahway and check the prices today. Are there any items you're especially interested in?

check out prices on luxury items, like steak, shrimp/crab, etc..

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Address, phone, hours, exact name of store, etc. -- a "fact sheet" would be appreciated. If you've got a digital camera, even better.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Tommy and Jason:

If you'd like, I'll head over to the Foodmart International store in Rahway and check the prices today. Are there any items you're especially interested in?

there's one in rahway? where have i been.

i hope this new store is kept up a bit better than the JC store.

Theres one listed in Spring Valley and one in Linden:

175 Route 59

Spring Valley, NY

1601 W Edgar Rd

Linden, NJ

Guys:

This is an error in my understanding of New Jersey geograpy. According the to Foodmart International webpage, that part of New Jersey is called Linden. My apologies.

As I understand it, there are currently two open outposts of Foodmart, one in Linden, right off Route 1 and the other on Central Avenue in Spring Valley.

The company website, http://www.foodmartinternational.com has not been changed to reflect the closing of their store in Jersey City.

In any case, the Linden/Rahway area is a great destination for those interested Polish food and there is also an outpost of Seabras a few miles up, sort of at the corner of Rt 1 and Elmora Ave. in Elizabeth.

That, plus all the similar-sounding names and the general public's inability to keep them straight. I can't tell you how many times I've been told that the International Food Warehouse is Foodmart International is Fairway's New Jersey branch etc.

I'm still not grasping where this place is. Please, somebody tell me very, very slowly: I drive over the GWB and then what?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Its up the road from Han A Reum a bit, in the town of North Bergen, in the back of a shopping center near a Loews theatre. Mind you I havent been there yet, but thats what the post on CH says.

Now for the Linden Branch...

Drive through the Holland Tunnel and bear left when you exit. After a couple of blocks, the street will fork, stay left and take Route 1-9 South.

About fifteen miles down Route 1-9, you'll see a GM truck assembly plant on your right and a mall with a Target, a Starbucks and a Home Depot on your left. (think of the bathroom possibilities!) Move left here, when you pass under the railroad bridge, turn left and pass the KMart.

Take the first left into a seprate strip mall lot, Foomart Inertational is in that strip.

Fat Guy....

I've heard all sorts of rumors about both Foomart International and International Food Warehouse, but one or another being related to Fairway is far more absurd then the banal stuff we hear. NEITHER OF THESE STORES IS REMOTELY LIKE FAIRWAY!!! (I thought I'd throw that in to keep dissaffected Manhattanites at bay.) Keeping the two chains seprate in my mind is hard enough work. However, the two most persistent rumors are that International Food Warehouse is owned by National Wholesale Liquidators and that Foodmart International is somehow related to the Hong Kong Supermarket.

The first seems pretty correct. NWL and IFW share a huge store on Route 17 and their websites are cross-linked. I'm less inclined to believe the second. The closing of the Jersey City FMI generated a huge amount of press coverage with no mention of the Hong Kong Supermarket, even though it's a large and successful chain in its own right.

Not long ago, while shopping in the South Plainfield Hong Kong Supermarket, I picked up a few cans of sardines in olive oil. When the manager saw me with them, he said to me "we have lots more Portuguese stuff in our Jersey City store." When I asked him where that was, he told me it was Foodmart International. I never saw that guy again and never heard another peep about this relationship. Indeed, this is the most English I'd ever heard spoken there.

I've heard all sorts of rumors about both Foomart International and International Food Warehouse, but one or another being related to Fairway is far more absurd then the banal stuff we hear. NEITHER OF THESE STORES IS REMOTELY LIKE FAIRWAY!!! (I thought I'd throw that in to keep dissaffected Manhattanites at bay.) Keeping the two chains seprate in my mind is hard enough work. However, the two most persistent rumors are that International Food Warehouse is owned by National Wholesale Liquidators and that Foodmart International is somehow related to the Hong Kong Supermarket.

The first seems pretty correct. NWL and IFW share a huge store on Route 17 and their websites are cross-linked.

i've heard that fairway in NJ is related to fairway in NY. but fat guy has slapped me down several times for even thinking it.

i'm confused about the others. all i know is that the place on 17 isn't worth a 2 minute drive.

Edited by tommy (log)

The first seems pretty correct.

It is correct.

http://www.nationalwholesaleliquidators.co...food_test_1.htm

"Together, National Wholesale Liquidators and the International Food Warehouse deliver consistent savings and hard-to-find merchandise."

Fairway: there are three locations, all in New York, and one more coming in New York (Red Hook, in Brooklyn).

http://www.fairwaymarket.com/

I'm looking on a map. Are all these street names just a fancy way of saying that the North Bergen Foodmart and the Ridgfield Hanahreum are both on 1/9?