• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Food Magazine

zilla369

If you had to hold yourself to just one monthly food publication, which would it be? I started with Gourmet, but i got tired of leafing past travel/hotel advertising (not that that's not valid for Gourmet, just not what i wanted in my monthly food mag)

So i switched to Bon Appetit, and i'm pretty happy with that.

Any other indispensible monthlies i'm missing out on?

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Saveur.

That would probably be my next choice after BA. Seems like BA has a lot more recipe ideas for the buck...but the food styling is very nice in Saveur.

Saveur.

That would probably be my next choice after BA. Seems like BA has a lot more recipe ideas for the buck...but the food styling is very nice in Saveur.

You said just one, so forgive me.

If I could only get two monthlies, it would be Saveur plus Food & Wine.

I'll shut up now. (At least on this thread.)

meh, i don't really care how many someone mentions. Just trying to track the favorite-favorite.

Saveur is my favorite. I'm a sucker for beautiful words.

Cucina comes in second, because I'm a sucker for recipes that aren't in my collection already.

I find Food & Wine and Bon App just a little too repetitive and non-creative for my tastes. I read maybe one of each per year, maybe.

When someone starts a fan magazine devoted to the joys of Southern Louisianian Boudin, then that'll be my favorite. Let me know.

It's the puppy avatar that melts your heart & allows me so much leeway, isn't it?

Bingo...i lerve me some puppies.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...did i finally pick a new thread topic that hasn't been covered recently?

mike1.gif

It's the puppy avatar that melts your heart & allows me so much leeway, isn't it?

Bingo...i lerve me some puppies.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...did i finally pick a new thread topic that hasn't been covered recently?

mike1.gif

Its been a while:

click for: Cooking Magazines, Not all are created equal

I kind of enjoy seeing Food Arts in the mail.

Saveur second, sometimes some of the topics really don't interest me, though.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

The above mentioned are all good, but I get this regional magazine called Northwest Palate. Great little mag for us Northwest folks. It has Oregon, Washington, B.C., and Idaho food and wine info in it. Worth checking out!! Here is the link;

Northwest Palate

I like Saveur, but I think it's geared more to traveling than cooking. I find Fine Cooking and Cooks Illustrated more useful. As for quarterlies, I think Ed Behr's Art of Eating is superior.

I'm relatively new to this site as a participant. Pretty good stuff.

I would have to say Fine Cooking at the moment, though I also enjoy Cook's and Eating Well.

Right now my very favorite is Elle la table (the Japanese version), but since it is in Japnese and probably not readily available out of Japan it isn't a choice for everybody! :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Oh, I'm the queen of magazines. My mail carrier hates me for all of the publications (catalog too) that I receive.

#1 Chocolatier :wub:

2 La Cucina Italiana

3 (really a tie with the above) Pastry

And for a non food mag who has an lovely food section feature, Coastal Living. I can hardly wait for their arrival into my mailbox.

For a catalog: King Arthur Flour -- awesome!

edit due to inability to type after a few glasses of wine.....ooooops

Edited by beans (log)

It is interesting that no one so far has said Gourmet is their favorite. Why do you think this is? While I am here, I can say that I save my copies of Gourmet for airplane reading and that is has regressed to be more like the pre-Ruth Reichl days. I like Behr and Thorne the best since they have forums that are conducive to candor and integrity.