• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak

sassybat

I fully subscribe to the Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper theory. Jinmyo, you smear before grilling? and does salted/unsalted matter?

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

wow... that's a lot of differing opinions about steak. :huh:

i decided to go with marlene's steak marinade recipe, and the ribeyes turned out nicely, but i think i might try the kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper next time... :wub: i wanted to go for a dry rub, but my luv wanted a marinade. he won this time, but next time i'm holding out for a salt and papper rub. :biggrin:

I fully subscribe to the Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper theory.  Jinmyo, you smear before grilling?  and does salted/unsalted matter?

Season the meat first, smear both sides with butter (salted or unsalted), sear.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Dana, the point of the butter is burre noisette flavour mixing with seared beef flavour.

Sure, put more butter on after. And of course fleur de sel.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Now, he doesn't mention crust per se, but AB fans will queue up to testify to his affection for things crusty.

Since reading this, I have refrained from oiling, just to see if he's right. I get everything else: color, quadrillage and release.

Only Dave, only Dave. :biggrin:

Now, he doesn't mention crust per se, but AB fans will queue up to testify to his affection for things crusty.

Since reading this, I have refrained from oiling, just to see if he's right. I get everything else: color, quadrillage and release.

Only Dave, only Dave. :biggrin:

Should I be smiling or hanging my head?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.