• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steak

sassybat

i often mix almost equal parts of worchestshirieehrrereire and low sodium soy, and a lot of cracked black pepper.

Me too, but I add garlic.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

1/4 salt; 1/4 black pepper; 1/4 cayenne; 1/4 garlic powder.

Grill or blacken, serve with "avocado salsa" ie lumpy guacamole, made with avocado, line, lots of cilantro, and a little sugar.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I usually use just a little cracked pepper before grilling or panfrying and set little bowls of fleur de sel on the table.

But sometimes (for generally tougher cuts of meat) I reach for Mr. Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce. I marinated some flank steak for about 12 hours the other day and grilled it over charcoal. My eight year old declared it "the best steak ever".

(The leftover cold steak made a great lunch over field greens and multi-color pepper strips, tossed with homemade balsamic vinaigrette.)

Charlie Trotter's Grilled Beef Teriyaki with Sesame Seeds and Spicy SOy Mustard

marinade: teriyaki sauce, sugar, chopped ginger, garlic

serve with Spicy Soy Mustard (mustard, soy sauce, jalapeno, cayenne, ginger, garlic and cilantro)

Sprinkle with sesame seeds...

if you want detailed instructions pm me...

if you want detailed instructions pm me...

The Archive Brig, the Archive :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

here it is coutesy of CTs Gourmet Cooking for Dummies

The key to great teriyaki is using a well-seasoned marinade. These finger foods make for easy appetizers at a cocktail party. The sugar in the marinade helps to caramelize the ingredients and gives the beef a subtle glaze. Teriyaki is almost always made with soy sauce and ginger. In this recipe, you add garlic and cilantro.

Tools: 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water

Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus 2 hours refrigeration

Cooking time: 15 minutes

Yield: 12 pieces

1/2 cup Dijan mustard

3 tbls soy sauce

2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped

1 tsp cayenne pepper

2 tbls chopped ginger

2 tbls chopped garlic

2 tbls chopped cilantro

1/2 cup teriyaki sauce

1 tbls sugar

salt and pepper

3/4 lb lean steak cut into strips

2 tbls sesame seeds

1. In a small bowl, mix together the mustard, soy sauce, jalapeno, cayenne, 1 tbls of the ginger, 2 teaspoons of the garlic, and the cilantro.

2. in another small bowl, mix together the teriyaki sauce, sugar, the remaining 1 tbls of ginger, and 4 teaspoons of the garlic.

3. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Place a piece of steak on each skewer adn brush generously with the teriyaki mixture. Place in a resealable bag and refrigerate for 2 hours.

4. Grilll the teriyaki skewers over a medium flame for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked.

5. Spoon some of the spicy soy mustard on top of the skewers and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve while hot.

Salt.  (Judy Rodgers won me over on this.)

Agreed. :smile:

Try and find a hickory-smoked Spanish sea salt. The flavor is incredible.

Other salts that I like with meat include Hawaiian pink salt, which contains 'Alaea (red clay that makes it pink), and a mineral sea salt, mined from a Jurassic-era sea bed in Utah. Both are high in minerals and heighten the flavor of beef.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Smear with butter.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Other salts that I like with meat include Hawaiian pink salt, which contains 'Alaea (red clay that makes it pink), and a mineral sea salt, mined from a Jurassic-era sea bed in Utah. Both are high in minerals and heighten the flavor of beef.

I like sea salt and other unusual salts as well... but I thought I'd inject the following three tangential elements into the discussion:

1. Sea salt and mined salt are the same thing. The only difference is that mined salt crystallized several million years earlier.

2. All food-grade sea salt must be at least 97.5 percent pure sodium chloride by law. This means that, at most, you are getting 2.5% "other minerals" and usually a lot less. Salt harvested by solar evaporation, for example, is around 99 percent pure, with the other 1 percent being almost entirely magnesium and calcium compounds.

3. In controlled tests where tasters tried to distinguish between a number of different salts dissolved in water, the results were inconclusive.

1, 2, and 3 from What Einstein Told His Cook, by Robert L. Wolke

All this means is that sea salts are interesting for their unique textures and not really for the mineral content. If the salt were chunky enough to retain some texture through cooking of the steak, I bet that there are many that would make an interesting contribution.

Getting back to the marination thing... for me it very much depends on the cut and quality of the steak. I would hesitate to put anything but salt on a good piece of prime beef. On the other hand, chimichurri on skirt steak can be awesome.

--

A little trick I learned from the late French chef Andre Guillot: lightly salt the meat the minute you bring it home; lightly coat it with grapeseed oil to keep it from drying out; and let it mature overnight before grilling.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I'm with slkinsey, really good beef doesn't need much.

But cheaper, tougher stuff gets a real boost from a soy bath (I believe there's something of a brining effect), a bit of brown sugar and some ground chiles, especially if grilling is involved.

And welcome, Wolfert. Nice to have you here.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Wolfert, would one rub this off before cooking and reseason?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I remove the meat from the refrigerator about an hour before grilling. I pat it dry and brush with fresh oil.

oops..I re-season just as I take it off the grill.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Just for clarification: salting brings water-soluble proteins to the surface of the meat. These are the proteins partially responsible for Maillard reactions that make browned meat so yummy. Getting more of them to the surface enhances the reactions.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dave:

You are absolutely right.

Though this method does deliver a very tasty crust. Perhaps the grapeseed oil which smokes at a much higher temperature than other oils has something to do with it. I'd love to know your thoughts .

Edited by Wolfert (log)