• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheesecake Factory- a few facts

Fyre

Yeah, I don't really know what the decor is like, either.  My point is just that you always hear about how busy people are, what with the overwork, the taking the kids to soccer, yada yada yada...  It's probably hard for lots of folks to just sit and talk at home, without turning on the TV or doing some chores; and it's also probably tough to schedule time to sit and talk at a restaurant, bar or patio.  An enforced situation where you have nothing to do but talk, even in sub-optimal conditions, isn't such a bad thing.

Though I still suspect you could just go shopping with beeper.  How would they stop you?

Very good point, but I still say that reserving a table over the phone and waiting 2-3 hours to eat at CF are not the same thing, and this is just my opinion. In the end, i guess, it all comes down to "value", is it worth it to wait that long for a table at CF??? in my case "NO", and I do eat there once in awhile because I think their food is much better than the other chains around, though I never waited more than 30 minutes (any longer wait and I would go elsewhere).

Now, what if the "French Laundry" has a three hour wait??? Is it worth it?? In my case, since I am more than willing to plan a trip all the way from TX to eat there , the answer is "YES".

So if the diner values that food so much then heck, he or she can wait all day for it.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

All I can really say about the Cheesecake Factory based on Fyre's very detailed insider view...

...that is SO fucked up.

I mean we get on Fast Food's case for the reverse situation, but this is just ridiculous.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Of the 2 CF locations I can think of in the Chicagoland area, there is very actual seating for the people who are waiting. The one downtown is in a sunken area--if it is nice out you can sit by the fountain. Otherwise, during the other 11 months of the year, you have to squeeze yourself in a corner surrounded by drunken sailors.

Went a few times my first year in college, which was oh so many years ago.

CF sucks. Overpriced, and like other chain restaurants, they irresponsibly over-serve food. An entire serving dish of pasta for one person? :shock:

Fyre--great 1st post. Really fascinating.

Fun post ! Enjoyed reading the replies. Still am able to comprehend how anyone could wait 3 hours for a table anywhere? Second, everyone says that the cheesecakes are delicious, probably so, but how can they be classified as fresh, if they were made in Texas, and shipped frozen? Does not sound that fresh to me. Sounds like something I could buy in Shop Rite.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

We never go to CF, because with small children a three hour wait is torture, plain and simple.

However, even before we had kids we had a rule that we never wait more than 30 minutes - enough time to have one drink at the bar. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Yeah, I don't really know what the decor is like, either.  My point is just that you always hear about how busy people are, what with the overwork, the taking the kids to soccer, yada yada yada...  It's probably hard for lots of folks to just sit and talk at home, without turning on the TV or doing some chores; and it's also probably tough to schedule time to sit and talk at a restaurant, bar or patio.  An enforced situation where you have nothing to do but talk, even in sub-optimal conditions, isn't such a bad thing.

I'm all for talking, so I'm with you there, Andrew.

But if I required enforced situations like the one we're discussing, I'd choose not to talk.

Well its also incredibly, earsplittingly NOISY inside and around any Cheesecake Factory. The actual amount of conversation will vary, depending on how well you read lips and your tolerance against migraine headaches.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

i have somewhat of an unwritten rule:  i don't wait in line for dinner.

Same here! 15Min. Maybe if I like the place but not more than that.

Living hard will take its toll...

But if I required enforced situations like the one we're discussing, I'd choose not to talk.

Well its also incredibly, earsplittingly NOISY inside and around any Cheesecake Factory. The actual amount of conversation will vary, depending on how well you read lips and your tolerance against migraine headaches.

I was unclear.

I meant if someone were to try to talk me into going to a CF so we can wait & talk for three hours, my response would be, "I don't feel like talking to you for 3 hours. I'm going home to grill. Stop by if you'd like but pick up beer on the way."

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen the Cheesecake Factory episode of "Into the Fire" on Food Network? If you missed it, theres another one showing tomorrow at 1:30AM EST, should you want to set your Tivos.

The whole thing was essentially a informercial. Nevertheless, even in highest PR mode, these guys are scary, in a pursuit of world domination Microsoftish way. One particular part that scared me was that they talked about eating at all the top restaurants in the US and wanting to "Cheesecake-ify" or "Cheesecake-factorize" versions of stuff they had at Daniel, etc.

Or this quote from one of their marketing guys, and I paraphrase only a little:

"In every city Cheesecake Factory opens a restaurant, we are the #1 and highest grossing food service establishment."

But what's really frightening is, some of the food in their kitchens actually looks pretty darned good.

Should we pursue a Q&A with one of these folks? I'd like to talk to one of their head chefs.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I guess my point, as a rather over scheduled person, is that I understand why they might like the food ( as Tommy mentioned, no suprises) but I don't understand who these people are who value their time so little that they would surrender three hours waiting for a table. I am a person who values time..I could accomplish a lot in three hours...what exactly do they DO while they wait? Do they bring a book? Laptops? Play charades?

it boggles the mind. think of all the posting a guy like me could do in those 3 hours.

i have somewhat of an unwritten rule: i don't wait in line for dinner.

well thats because you like mc donalds

Has anyone seen the Cheesecake Factory episode of "Into the Fire" on Food Network? If you missed it, theres another one showing tomorrow at 1:30AM EST, should you want to set your Tivos.

The whole thing was essentially a informercial. Nevertheless, even in highest PR mode, these guys are scary, in a pursuit of world domination Microsoftish way. One particular part that scared me was that they talked about eating at all the top restaurants in the US and wanting to "Cheesecake-ify" or "Cheesecake-factorize" versions of stuff they had at Daniel, etc.

Or this quote from one of their marketing guys, and I paraphrase only a little:

"In every city Cheesecake Factory opens a restaurant, we are the #1 and highest grossing food service establishment."

But what's really frightening is, some of the food in their kitchens actually looks pretty darned good.

Should we pursue a Q&A with one of these folks? I'd like to talk to one of their head chefs.

No. Why bother with it? Lets explain, as you tried, how lame this kind or corporate force-feeding of stuff that "actually looks pretty darned good."

"Looks" is the keyword here. "Frightening" is another, as well as "grossing."

Im sick of this chain crap.

Edited by dave88 (log)

Well, I've never actually eaten anything other than dessert at a Cheesecake Factory -- and their cheesecake is pretty good. But its certainly plausible that with the resources this chain has, that they MIGHT be able to produce stuff other than cheesecake that is decent. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Certainly, if people are willing to endure 2 plus hour waits, the food cannot be totally horrendous. At least, if you assume that most suburban-american palates aren't shot completely to hell. The restaurant isn't exactly cheap either, its prices are in line with most upper end midrange type independent restaurants. So given that most decent size towns that would accomodate a Cheesecake Factory in the first place would have alternatives in place already, there's gotta be something to this joint.

By the way, the time I went, there wasn't much of a wait, but I think we went there at like 9PM or something and ate near the bar.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

First time I've ever heard of Cheesecake Factory. Maybe it hasn't hit Canada--or my part of Canada--yet. But if the above statement is true, other operators have got to be taking a hard look at how these places run.

I'm not sure from reading all of the posts and the original insider's description just what the attraction is. Mostly fresh ingredients that aren't actually murdered in the kitchen? Doesn't sound like a killer USP.

Three-hour waits? There can't be that many masochists around.

Frozen cheesecake? I can get that--and it's not bad, not bad at all--at my local Loblaws supermarket for a helluva lot less.

The only thing I can infer is that this is a purely suburban phenomenon, in which case the affluent burbs may be the undiscovered Eldorado of the restaurant world. Why would you possibly fight the competition and pay the high rents downtown when you can make a killing out there in the land of the commuter? The great mystery is why more smart operators aren't following Cheesecake Factory out there.

Or is this what the Las Vegas restaurant phenomenon is all about?

Edited by fresco (log)
Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

My experience has been that waiting at the CF is very UNcomfortable. There's like 2 benches. People stalk the bar so don't think of getting 2 seats together. I've also seen food run through the entranceway, past all the waiting people who all seem to have the sniffles. I'll take my food without the germs, thanks. Drinks are big and fairly priced.

I was also told by a recruiter that she has to PAY to get job references from the CF. Totally unethical!

Lisa

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I guess my point, as a rather over scheduled person, is that I understand why they might like the food ( as Tommy mentioned, no suprises) but I don't understand who these people are who value their time so little that they would surrender three hours waiting for a table.   I am a person who values time..I could accomplish a lot in three hours...what exactly do they DO while they wait? Do they bring a book? Laptops? Play charades?

it boggles the mind. think of all the posting a guy like me could do in those 3 hours.

i have somewhat of an unwritten rule: i don't wait in line for dinner.

well thats because you like mc donalds

that makes no sense. but i'll give you +2 points for being funny. :laugh:

CF sucks.  Overpriced, and like other chain restaurants, they irresponsibly over-serve food.  An entire serving dish of pasta for one person?  :shock:

Speaking of irresponsibly overserving, has anyone eaten at a Papadeaux recently?

I hate wasting food, and it killed me to walk away with half of my plate uneaten the last time I was there. Simply a gluttonous amount of food. It's no surprise why we have such problem with weight in this country - and in San Antonio specifically - when you look at the portions in places like this.

What do you think drives the portions? Is it "our" appetite, or did the portions drive the appetite? Great chicken-egg question.

Oh, and to stay on topic, I've never eaten at a CF - and don't know that I will, now. Awesome post.

I've eaten at a CF a couple times and I really like it. My companions have been my college room mate, who also really liked it, and my SO, who doesn't like it because it's too complex. Everything there has to have 50 million things on it, like "chicken with this and this and that and topped with a this and that sauce". The appetizers, if I remember right, are simpler but huge and meant for sharing. The drinks are damn good though, like the mojito with fresh mint leaves in it, and the alcoholic coffee dessert drinks.

Be prepared to wait a lot, eat a lot and spend a lot, and if you want cheesecake too, order it "to go".

The only thing I can infer is that this is a purely suburban phenomenon, in which case the affluent burbs may be the undiscovered Eldorado of the restaurant world. Why would you possibly fight the competition and pay the high rents downtown when you can make a killing out there in the land of the commuter?

The Seattle Cheesecake Factory is in the heart of downtown, and it is just as popular as everyone has described here. It's on the street, not in a mall, but is a block away from a mall and across the street from a movie theater. I have never been there, and now that a good Vietnamese restaurant (Bambuza) has opened on the same block, never expect to go there.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I think the fact that CF is a chain, immediately sends shivers up the spines of my fellow eGulletans. However, if the one in your neighborhood was not part of a chain, I think most people would think it was perfectly fine.

Travelling around, I have been to about 6-7 different Cheesecake Factorys and have never waited more than an hour for a table. Most of the time the restaurants are in crowded shopping areas that allow you to stroll around while you wait. Hell, the one here in SF is at the top of Macys in Union Square and you can go sit in the home furnishings department while you wait.

As far as portion size goes, almost every restaurant without a "chef's tasting menu" serves overflowing plates. I was at Thomas Keller's place, Bouchon, last night and the portions were gigantic and so was the bill. The noise level was very high and there was about 6 inches of seperation between the tables on either side of us. Had they not taken reservations, I'm sure the wait would have been lengthy. My point is that most casual dining restaurants these days have the same issues as CF.

I agree with Jason, there must be something to the place if the restaurant is so consistently full.

I must lead a very sheltered life. Somehow these Chessecake Factories are everywhere, yet I've only ever run across one of them. It was in Providence, RI. I only saw it becuase it was right across the street from the train station where I arrived. I didn't see any line down the block, but it was about 3pm.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code