• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheesecake Factory- a few facts

Fyre

I just am pointing out that there seems to be trends and CF has been inclueded in research about obesity and I thought that was intersting and that I should pass it along. 

I'd like to reply but I'm too bloated with condescension and over-sized portions. :wink:

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Hollywood,

I am being sincere in that I thought the information was interesting and worth sharing. I truly am no expert about sociology or anything I posted. I thought that the question eguller bobdavis asked which is the original reason I posted was worth a stab of answering. So what I did was do a google search and saw a connection, portion sizes. So I did some more research and found out some more information about why portion sizes are so big now. Before my posts and very limited research I knew next to nothing about portion sizing or even obesity. I am no expert and do not profess to be one. I am sorry that you are “too bloated with condescension and over-sized portions” to add to this discussion. I would like to hear your opinion, honestly. You seem to have one or you would not have posted in the first place. This answer, or following posts to this subject, could use another venue, another separate discussion apart from the CF one. Or let the subject die if it has no worth. I did not ask the chicken or the egg question that spurred my post, eguller bobdavis did. Since I do not know much ambout what I posted I had to back up what my feelings were from the start with hard facts or at least what was published. That is why, Hollywood I used lots of quotes and not so I could profess my arrogance. I am far from arrogant because in the realm of this subject matter I do not know anything besides what I have read. I have nothing to be arrogant about. Hollywood I would suggest to take some Pepto-Bismol to cure your bloated constitution. Sorry I cause such distress in you. I was just voicing my opinion in an area I did not know much about but came across some interesting findings that I wanted to share. Guess I should have never gone to kindergarten then I would not have learned to share at all.

I am adding this particular post not to jab at anyone or cause strife. I just find it odd that I am arrogant because I stated my opinion. The only wrongdoing on my half may be that I posted about something I know nothing about.

Hollywood sorry for the misunderstanding.

It's cool. And the topic is worth discussing. I think tommy's suggestion of starting another thread to do so is a good one. We're already pretty bogged down in the CF thing. FWIW, I agree that our eateries over serve us and that it's probably done to charge us more to improve their bottom line and mess with ours. Ciao.

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Theres no such thing as a "raw" hot dog. They're already cooked when you get them in the package.

If raw were held to be the opposite of cooked, how come people still manage to cook up raw deals?

+++

But for "functional" eats, a group of buddies, a quicky bite, well, we can be seen at the sleaziest diner or biggest corporate soul sucking restaurant chain chowing down on whatevah.  It's just something I won't write home about!  However this sort of dining isn't something that I turn my nose up on doing either.  Each has it's place.

The operative phrase here may be "something I won't write home about." In an abstract way, I associate writing home with posting here. Both may be euphemisms for "not worth talking about." My last meal at a chain restaurant in a shopping mall doesn't prove much. It doesn't make me a populist and I wouldn't bring it up as proof I'm not an elitist. It was a product of circumstances, and not worth writing home about.

+++

What I'm getting offended at is that certain people seem to be saying I shouldn't be posting on this site that I like low-quality food.

I'd be better off responding to the question about when I stopped beating my wife. People seem to be asking that. Well no they haven't, nor have I seen anyone say you shouldn't say you like low-quality food, but now I've run the risk of further offending you if you read my post as questioning your reading comprehension. See how easy it is to push "offended" button. What I think people have said is that they're surprised to see someone come to a food site where there are many people deeply obsessed with the quality of the food they eat or cook, and say they like low quality food. Some of those who cook professionally and have striven to keep their standards high may indeed be offended that someone places so little value on their efforts by posting that they like low-quality food, but I haven't seem anyone say that. By the way, I am taking your statement at face value in terms of low-quality.

I've said that it's not unusual for people who have been involved in any field for a long time to make statements that are likely to carry more weight than those made by a novice in that same field. It's not a secret that there are some people here who have been eating for three times as long as you have and perhaps cooking seriously for even a longer time than you have been cooking. Do you think you'll have more to say about food in another twenty years? Do you think your opinions will be better formed and more sophisticated after another twenty years of eating and cooking or do you think you are peaking in terms of knowledge and intellect right now?

+++

But, you know, as much as I think you have every "right" to wax rhapsodic about the Olive Garden's food, I think Bux has just as much "right" to explain why he thinks it's crap.  And neither one of you should get your feelings hurt over it.

I always welcome champions of my rights. I hope I didn't exactly say Olive Garden's food was "crap." Neither did I think I caught anyone waxing rhapsodic about it. You are just setting the abstract parameters for the main event to come, I trust. :raz:

+++

I like tuna sandwiches

I like tuna sandwiches, although my idea of what's in a good one has evolved over time. Never moreso than last spring in Madrid. Hungry and having missed lunch because my wife wasn't feeling well, I remembered a bar with a great list of sandwiches. I ordered a tuna sandwich and immediately felt stupid. All those sandwiches and I order tuna. Actually I had focused on the roasted red peppers in the sandwich which also had achovies and a dousing of olive oil. Now, I've always been a celery and mayonnaise in my tuna sandwiches guy, (preferably home made mayo though) but this was incredible olive oil packed tuna and an incredible sandwich. Thanks for reminding me of that as well as reminding me that I'm still learning what's best.

+++

And on some days, there's nothing better than a burrito.

Depending on who's making the burrito. Come to think of it, if we pick the right guys on both sides of this equation, the burrito could be better most days. :biggrin:

+++

Ok...but nowhere do I see anything about this being a fine food and dining site; we have posts about white trash food, soda, chips, fast food, as well as posts about the French Laundry, Tru, wine, fine liquors, etc.

This is a food site so I see it appropriate for people who are lovers of food to post.  I love food, and I don't think that should be compared to the next guy who only likes fine food, or the other guy who will only eat at chain restaurants.

I try not to post where I don't know what I'm talking about.  I wouldn't dream of posting anything in the wine and liquors section, unless I had a question.  But sometimes I go off on a rant about something I might not be an expert on, and you should take those posts with a grain of salt.  If I only spoke on things I am an expert in, I wouldn't speak at all.

That makes sense. I wish everyone gave as much thought to why they post here and what they can put into the site and get out of it.

+++

So, for instance, because I don't feel it necessary to whip up exotic things for dinner every night (see the Dinner! thread), I don't deserve to input on topics I have an opinion on?

I have a "strong interest" in quality food, but quality food is such a grey area to me. 

Perhaps this site is too over my head.

Good food has very little to do with exotic food, unless of course good food is an experience with which one is unfamiliar. Quality food should be a gray area to everyone. Taste is very subjective in many ways. I doubt this site is over your head, although for the time being, some of the threads may be less decipherable now than they will be in five years.

+++

As noted, the truffles in Perigord grow slowly and are quite rare. They also continue to be first rate and inimitable. Keller would be doing well if he can keep getting compared to truffles in the Perigord.
Oh please, lighten up!

I'm not going to apologize for taking anyone seriously here. I also find the the phrase "Oh please, lighten up!" to be unconducive to a healthy dialog.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

But for "functional" eats, a group of buddies, a quicky bite, well, we can be seen at the sleaziest diner or biggest corporate soul sucking restaurant chain chowing down on whatevah.  It's just something I won't write home about!  However this sort of dining isn't something that I turn my nose up on doing either.  Each has it's place.

The operative phrase here may be "something I won't write home about." In an abstract way, I associate writing home with posting here. Both may be euphemisms for "not worth talking about." My last meal at a chain restaurant in a shopping mall doesn't prove much. It doesn't make me a populist and I wouldn't bring it up as proof I'm not an elitist. It was a product of circumstances, and not worth writing home about.

I'm upstairs getting change and I couldn't resist....

This is where deconstruction has gone awry, so I will further deconstruct to clarify my intent. This is not home. I will discuss it here or anywhere else when I've had a balsamic vin tossed salad with blue cheese, chicken breast, candied pecans and craisins at TGIF's given the opportunity. Don't get abstract, I state what I mean and mean what I state.

My goal is not to disprove I'm an elitist. I adore the finest of quality ingredients in the most supreme preparations as much as the "next guy." I not only seek it out to purchase at a restaurant of my choosing or within my own kitchen preparations. I stated that in Post No. 1.

I eat food; whether that be at my local culinary jewel of Parker's, Lola's or Johnny's as much as I will eat at Fridays or Harry Buffalo's. I'm an opportunist. I'm hungry, I'll eat. Don't read anymore into it Bux.

Hollywood,

I am being sincere in that I thought the information was interesting and worth sharing.  I  truly am no expert about sociology or anything I posted.  I thought that the question eguller bobdavis asked which is the original reason I posted was worth a stab of answering.  So what I did was do a google search and saw a connection, portion sizes.  So I did some more research and found out some more information about why portion sizes are so big now.  Before my posts and very limited research I knew next to nothing about portion sizing or even obesity.  I am no expert and do not profess to be one. I am sorry that you are “too bloated with condescension and over-sized portions” to add to this  discussion. I would like to hear your opinion, honestly.  You seem to have one or you would not have posted in the first place.  This answer, or following posts to this subject, could use another venue, another separate discussion apart from the CF one.  Or let the subject die if it has no worth.  I did not ask the chicken or the egg question that spurred my post, eguller bobdavis did.  Since I do not know much ambout what I posted I had to back up what my feelings were from the start with hard facts or at least what was published.  That is why, Hollywood I used lots of quotes and not so I could profess my arrogance.  I am far from arrogant because in the realm of this subject matter I do not know anything besides what I have read.  I have nothing to be arrogant about.  Hollywood I would suggest to take some Pepto-Bismol to cure your bloated constitution.  Sorry I cause such distress in you.  I was just voicing my opinion in an area I did not know much about but came across some interesting findings that I wanted to share.  Guess I should have never gone to kindergarten then I would not have learned to share at all.

I am adding this particular post not to jab at anyone or cause strife.  I just find it odd that I am arrogant because I stated my opinion.  The only wrongdoing on my half may be that I posted about something I know nothing about.

dude, everyone's cool. no worries. k?

Hollywood,

I am being sincere in that I thought the information was interesting and worth sharing.  I  truly am no expert about sociology or anything I posted.  I thought that the question eguller bobdavis asked which is the original reason I posted was worth a stab of answering.  So what I did was do a google search and saw a connection, portion sizes.  So I did some more research and found out some more information about why portion sizes are so big now.  Before my posts and very limited research I knew next to nothing about portion sizing or even obesity.  I am no expert and do not profess to be one. I am sorry that you are “too bloated with condescension and over-sized portions” to add to this  discussion. I would like to hear your opinion, honestly.  You seem to have one or you would not have posted in the first place.  This answer, or following posts to this subject, could use another venue, another separate discussion apart from the CF one.  Or let the subject die if it has no worth.  I did not ask the chicken or the egg question that spurred my post, eguller bobdavis did.  Since I do not know much ambout what I posted I had to back up what my feelings were from the start with hard facts or at least what was published.  That is why, Hollywood I used lots of quotes and not so I could profess my arrogance.  I am far from arrogant because in the realm of this subject matter I do not know anything besides what I have read.  I have nothing to be arrogant about.  Hollywood I would suggest to take some Pepto-Bismol to cure your bloated constitution.  Sorry I cause such distress in you.  I was just voicing my opinion in an area I did not know much about but came across some interesting findings that I wanted to share.  Guess I should have never gone to kindergarten then I would not have learned to share at all.

I am adding this particular post not to jab at anyone or cause strife.  I just find it odd that I am arrogant because I stated my opinion.  The only wrongdoing on my half may be that I posted about something I know nothing about.

dude, everyone's cool. no worries. k?

No wories. Cool as a cucumber. :smile:

slkinsey,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  :biggrin:

Hobbes

Hobbes,

you should let it rip regardless. Don't worry about offending anyone,especially on this thread.

Everyone here seems to be getting wounded!

In light of the over portioning discussion, I heard something on the radio today about a wave of litigation being expected to come soon over people suing companies for gaining weight.

America get's stranger by the minute.

2317/5000

Hobbes,

you should let it rip regardless. Don't worry about offending anyone,especially on this thread.

we should all *always* be concerned about offending people. hobbes should start a new thread on what i think is a valid and interesting topic. i'd like to get back to talking about Hooter's and strip clubs. or is this the wrong thread. :unsure:

Hobbes,

we should all *always* be concerned about offending people. hobbes should start a new thread on what i think is a valid and interesting topic. i'd like to get back to talking about Hooter's and strip clubs. or is this the wrong thread. :unsure:

Just to clarify, folks.

I meant don't worry about offending people about this particular subject, since everyone has been so easily offended anyways.

Hopefully hobbes understood.Sorry if anyone took it the wrong way.

Sincerely,

tan319

2317/5000

Just to clarify, folks.

I meant don't worry about offending people about this particular subject, since everyone has been so easily offended anyways.

Sincerely,

tan319

are you telling me that i shouldn't post on this subject? :rolleyes:

This is where deconstruction has gone awry, so I will further deconstruct to clarify my intent.  This is not home.  I will discuss it here or anywhere else when I've had a balsamic vin tossed salad with blue cheese, chicken breast, candied pecans and craisins at TGIF's given the opportunity.  Don't get abstract, I state what I mean and mean what I state.

My goal is not to disprove I'm an elitist.  I adore the finest of quality ingredients in the most supreme preparations as much as the "next guy."  I not only seek it out to purchase at a restaurant of my choosing or within my own kitchen preparations.  I stated that in Post No. 1.

I eat food; whether that be at my local culinary jewel of Parker's, Lola's or Johnny's as much as I will eat at Fridays or Harry Buffalo's.  I'm an opportunist.  I'm hungry, I'll eat.  Don't read anymore into it Bux.

I used your post for a referrence point for why I post. I was not reading anything into your actions or motives, but generally explaining why I usually post. As most of us do, I sometimes get drawn into a thread outside my interests.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Tommy

I thought that this *was* the Hooter's and strip clubs thread, I guess that's my problem :raz: .

tan319 Posted on Jul 18 2003

you should let it rip regardless. Don't worry about offending anyone,especially on this thread.  Everyone here seems to be getting wounded!

Oh no Tan now that the flud gates have been open to offend away, let the mud fling! :rolleyes: Who knows what this thread will become now.

If you really want to be scared and believe that Big-Brother is watching look at what The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) wants to do with the food deemed as junk food by

CSPI's Big-Brother a la food cops!

catch ya later folks

Hobbes

Just to clarify, folks.

Sincerely,

tan319

are you telling me that i shouldn't post on this subject? :rolleyes:

you are a phreak!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

2317/5000

Yep the waits suck, even the waits at the takeout counter suck (and you get hit on both sides by people standing waiting for tables, and waiters cutting the line to get cheescake from the counter!)

But to be honest, the worst part of it was my last visit (I think for a very very long time!) at a newly-opened one. The # of morbidly obese people (by which I means 350 lbs and well above) was staggering. Just amazingly-sized people, some of them pacing nervously, some of them yelling for seating in the waiting area, many of them cursing out and otherwise acting like crack addicts waiting for their dealer to show up. Everyone was annoyed, hot, and anxious, but this was just surreal. And depressing as hell. I said "I don't need cheesecake THAT bad" and left it to 'em.

I'm sorry, that sounds elitist. I love rich food as much as anyone (More, perhaps?) but coming across these angry, anxious individuals that were acting like food is a drug, it just hit me badly.

I think the discussions about Junk Food being Satan's Tool, while hyperbolic, are not entirely implausible after seeing that display of flesh.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Three hours of talking is fine, in a nice atmosphere,  a glass or two fo wine, perhaps on a lovely patio or an intimate setting or a funky coffee bar...but, and I don't profess to know a lot about the decor of the CF, I'm assuming its REd Lobster /Olive Garden like decor, which is mostly benches in the entrance foyer, and a few bistro tables at the bar.

Actually, it's absolute chaos inside the place. there's no "waiting area." there's a narrow foyer with the very crowded takeout/dessert counter running along one side, and the bar is on the other. So forcing folks to stand there inside the restaurant for 3 hours is sardinelike.

Forget talking to each other... the noise is deafening. :wink:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

But to be honest, the worst part of it was my last visit (I think for a very very long time!) at a newly-opened one. The # of morbidly obese people (by which I means 350 lbs and well above) was staggering. Just amazingly-sized people, some of them pacing nervously, some of them yelling for seating in the waiting area, many of them cursing out and otherwise acting like crack addicts waiting for their dealer to show up. Everyone was annoyed, hot, and anxious, but this was just surreal.

do you think this was all a function of the peoples' size, or rather the fact they had to wait in a horrible hot place for so long. skinny people get like that too, i dare say.

I love rich food as much as anyone (More, perhaps?) but coming across these angry, anxious individuals that were acting like food is a drug, it just hit me badly.

Uh, to some of us, food is a drug. Right now I'm jonesing for some inordinately large portions of indifferently prepared food. But I have to wait for Fresh Direct to get here so I can make it. winking59.gif

I've only been to CF a couple of times (the one in Chestnut Hill, MA) and found that the food was okay, not great, but never had to wait three hours. I've only been there for lunch though.

Edited by abbeynormal (log)

do you think this was all a function of the peoples' size, or rather the fact they had to wait in a horrible hot place for so long.  skinny people get like that too, i dare say.

Oh, definitely, everyone there, no matter their shape or size or age or whatever, was annoyed. Some whined, some complained to the manager, some turned on each other. :wacko:

But well, some went totally off the deep end (I saw even more of this at the second place than at the first). Screaming at the hosts, threatening, turning red, making demands, acting like they were gonna keel over or have "the big one". Just plain wierd. And the ones who were doing it were almost all, not just big, but truly immense eating machines.

I'm just saying what happened. I'd never seen anything like it before. Did anyone else see this?