• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating out -vs- eating in

We have dinner out--on the back deck--as often as weather permits. But after years of obligatory lunches and dinners in restaurants--some pretty good restaurants, I have to say--dining out doesn't seem very relaxing or appealing. Being able to cook and entertain at home at our own pace seems a helluva more rewarding, somehow. Now if there was a service that came in, cleaned up and did the dishes...

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

My husband and I eat out probably only once a week. We much prefer to cook at home (a lot healthier and cost effective that way!)

Same as fresco, we like to eat on the patio...it's a lot more intimate for getting together with friends, too. We would MUCH rather cook a meal for company than take them to a restaurant.

doublespresso,

welcome to egullet!

We eat out about 1 to 2 times a month (and usually 1 or both is with my in-laws, who pay!), so for the most part we eat at home every day. In warm weather we normally BBQ with friends every Sunday.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

We generally eat out 1-2 times per week. Typically for lunch on the weekends. "We" means the 2 adults and 2 kids. Weekdays are so busy that it's nice to come home and collapse. I like to cook and, given the family schedule, keep it pretty simple most of the time. We may get take-out one night/week. We usually stick to inexpensive or mid-range places with the kids but the good part of it is that they pretty much know how to behave at a restaurant.

If you never, ever take kids out to restaurants, or only take them to places where you order from a counter, how will they ever know what to do when they grow up? But that's another topic.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Because we live in the centre of a large city, my son and his pals have been meeting for lunch since they were about 10. By the age of 15 or 16, these kids had tried everything from Greek to Thai. And they say small towns are great places to raise kids...

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

If you never, ever take kids out to restaurants, or only take them to places where you order from a counter, how will they ever know what to do when they grow up?  But that's another topic.

We had one of those kids in restaurant threads, it got REAL ugly, seems some people don't like dining with kids (other peoples kids that is!)

As babysitting is pretty much an unknown concept in Japan, our 3 (ages 2 to 7) kids go every where with us and they have eaten the gamut, their favorite is sushi though! They have their good days and their bad days.

I can probably count on one hand the # of times my husband and I have been out with out kids in the past 7 1/2 years! :shock:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

We always hit our favorite breakfast place after the Saturday morning farmers' market. Other than that, I'd say we dine out once a month, at most. As several other eGulletarians have said, and for essentially the same reasons, we prefer cooking and eating at home. In season, our dining spot of choice is on our front deck under the redwoods.

Edited by Xanthippe (log)

My husband and I usually go out 2 times a week, I try to cook 3 nights a week (nothing too complicated) and we usually order in or bring in food the other 2 nights.

Living in Manhattan, it's easy to be lazy. Too bad we can't have a barbecue!

I eat out 3x a week, minimum. Usually one or two business meals, and then sushi, once a week. Without kids. ( my youngest is 13, no childcare issues) Also twice a month or so socially, with other couples. That's why loosing weight is so hard!

But I cook almost every day, because I try to have healthy lunches,and TRY to cook for the kids even if we won't be home.

Depends, but we probably eat out at least twice a week.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I might eat out two or three times a year, unless I'm on the road - which might happen every two or three years.

This doesn't include being in town and just grabbing something to eat.

Like Nick, we rarely eat out (rarer still since I quit my job 2 years ago). And, when we eat out, we want something we would not cook ourselves. Probably the most common is dim sum.

Tomorrow, we will celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary. My folks offered to take the kids so we could go out for dinner, and both Paul and I agreed that we'd just as soon something that is typical of our life in the summer. So, it will be NY strips on the grill, new potatos, salad, and I'm going to try and make vanilla ice cream with rhubarb. Pinot noir. Under our pergola with the twinkly lights and hanging candle thingies I made since the mosquitos haven't made an appearance yet. I'm thinking the kids need some pinot in the hopes that they pass out early :wub::wub::wub:

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

When I was bartending, I used to eat out every day off - twice a week for dinner, occasionally after work Koreatown or early morning congee.

Now that I'm a corporate stiff, it's probably more. Trying to cut down. I'm starting to realize that not only is it cheaper to eat at home, but it also usually tastes better. Sometimes, though, you just really want a change of environment, and someone to wait on you.

Living in New York, too, it's usually the only way to get to see friends, since no one is ever willing to come out to Brooklyn - almost always end up grabbing dinner/drinks/whatever in the city.

Take out, however, almost never happens. If I'm home, I'm cooking. None of this ordering in nonsense.

I'm thinking the kids need some pinot in the hopes that they pass out early  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

So let your parents take the kids, and you can have a romantic night at home alone :biggrin: Happy Anniversary!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.